Thailand continues debate on electronic cigarettes

webfact

If you ban E-cigs purely on health grounds then surely you should also ban smoking, and surely pollution from cars and industry needs to be looked at.

If it is a tax issue then imply some taxes.

If they decide to outlaw completely then set a reasonable fine because E-cigarettes are going to be popular globally and a lot of Thai tourists are going to be arriving with them. 

• Like 2

The tobacco monopolies want to clam e gigs .box mods nude mods  rda tanks rdtas ect as a tobacco product . Thay are not and never will be . i started vaping over 3 years ago and not had 1 cigarette  since . i am much healthier now . my  cardio has increased my tastes have come back . i was on 60 a day and now 69 years old . i thank vaping soo much for the easy way i could stop smoking awful harmful cigarettes. 

The whole word seems to against e cigs. lots of false reports and studies claiming it more dangerous than smoking . The true reports are the people who have taken to vaping and are in much better health . 

The tobacco monopolies are scared they will lose too much money   Now the FDA are tying to ban certain flavours in The US / 

lets hope Thailand can see sense and allow vaping in Thailand .

I only vape at home now as i would be scared to get a prison sentence for doing something that is 95 percent safer  than smoking . after all the output is water vapor. Not diesel /petrol and bonfire fumes we have to breath every day    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

You do know that you just contradicted yourself, right? Good Job!

Its been going now for 11 years no one has died from it  It is only PG polyglycol and VG vegetable glycerin . all food grade .the flavours are made for that reason and are free from any oils and harmful  chemicals   . If needed you can add a percentage of nicotine  but you don't have to  . check the test they have done on youtube   

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Nonsense argument on many fronts. Misinformation and hypothetical situations.

We most definitely do have a clue about long term effects, but obviously it can not be stated with certainty- same applies to many innovations.

so you would rather breath in smoke than water vapour . i agree the vapour is thick and more produced that  of a cig . and people should respect others  as i can be annoying . but as for the content for me vapour any day i quite like the vinnaila custard . 

45 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

so you would rather breath in smoke than water vapour . i agree the vapour is thick and more produced that  of a cig . and people should respect others  as i can be annoying . but as for the content for me vapour any day i quite like the vinnaila custard . 

I am for vaping.  You are all over the place. Try reading.

8 hours ago, Matt96 said:

the problem is with the liquid in cartridges - formaldehyde, which is harmful itself.

You've mentioned this several times and I would like to point out that there is no formaldehyde in the liquids.

I'm sure you can come up with a link that shows some cheap nasty Chinese juice which contains formaldehyde but that would be the one in a thousand exception to the rule. The liquids contain propylene glycol (same as used in asthma inhalers), sometimes vegetable glycerin and a flavouing. That's it.

1 hour ago, PEE TEE said:

The tobacco monopolies want to clam e gigs .box mods nude mods  rda tanks rdtas ect as a tobacco product . Thay are not and never will be . i started vaping over 3 years ago and not had 1 cigarette  since . i am much healthier now . my  cardio has increased my tastes have come back . i was on 60 a day and now 69 years old . i thank vaping soo much for the easy way i could stop smoking awful harmful cigarettes. 

The whole word seems to against e cigs. lots of false reports and studies claiming it more dangerous than smoking . The true reports are the people who have taken to vaping and are in much better health . 

The tobacco monopolies are scared they will lose too much money   Now the FDA are tying to ban certain flavours in The US / 

lets hope Thailand can see sense and allow vaping in Thailand .

I only vape at home now as i would be scared to get a prison sentence for doing something that is 95 percent safer  than smoking . after all the output is water vapor. Not diesel /petrol and bonfire fumes we have to breath every day    

I fear they will not see sense for years and probably decades.  Heaven knows how these things come about, but it is difficult to get Thais to change their mind.  I don't see a u-turn.  

4 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I fear they will not see sense for years and probably decades.  Heaven knows how these things come about, but it is difficult to get Thais to change their mind.  I don't see a u-turn.  

not sure. i really think it will be philip morris and the other firms that kills the e-cig industry with help from the countries taxing their products

9 minutes ago, ukrules said:

You've mentioned this several times and I would like to point out that there is no formaldehyde in the liquids.

I'm sure you can come up with a link that shows some cheap nasty Chinese juice which contains formaldehyde but that would be the one in a thousand exception to the rule. The liquids contain propylene glycol (same as used in asthma inhalers), sometimes vegetable glycerin and a flavouing. That's it.

The myth started with a bad experiment which basically frazzled the oil.  Obviously if anything is baked black it becomes toxic.

• Like 1

Just now, mommysboy said:

You honestly think e-cigs will be killed off?

i mean the ones that i use. possibly yes. i think once the tobacco firms have got theirs properly to market then there's a good chance. just my thoughts anyway

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

i mean the ones that i use. possibly yes. i think once the tobacco firms have got theirs properly to market then there's a good chance. just my thoughts anyway

try the iqos. old school mate showed me in HK where it is also illegal but allowed. if you like a smoke, it's pretty good, but not cheap

Was into vaping for 1 and a half years, left cigerettes completely. Till cops caught me one day with a mod on Silom. Took me to the police station. Harrased me for quite a while. To make it short was able to go scot free after paying some money. Since then only vape in office and home, unfortunately back to cigerettes when out.Is Iqos illegal in Hong Kong or vaping?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Emmess said:

Was into vaping for 1 and a half years, left cigerettes completely. Till cops caught me one day with a mod on Silom. Took me to the police station. Harrased me for quite a while. To make it short was able to go scot free after paying some money. Since then only vape in office and home, unfortunately back to cigerettes when out.Is Iqos illegal in Hong Kong or vaping?

both illegal in HK but allowed. i do pretty much the same as you. i really don't know one person that's been fined for it (in Thailand). maybe i'll be the 1st 5555

Edited by Happy enough
  • Haha 1

If anyone is really concerned about public health........ they should ban these terrible stinking Chinese buses poluting the air here in Phuket!!! Vaping is probably a lot safer than driving behind one of these double decker smoking monsters!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Happy enough said:

both illegal in HK but allowed. i do pretty much the same as you. i really don't know one person that's been fined for it (in Thailand). maybe i'll be the 1st 5555

Not only fined but unfortunately threatened with jail time.  That's why there is an uproar.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bastos60 said:

Where are the times the tobacco industry was throwing around such studies to prove smoking was harmless.

You just don't get it do you? Nobody here is saying e-cigs are harmless -- we're simply arguing that they're WAY less harmful than cigarettes (to us, those around us, and nature itself -- no ugly butts on the ground). And we're basing that on our own personal experiences (and in many cases the experience of family members -- my daughter is way happier that I switched to e-cigs!), and the very CLEAR improvement in our health since quitting.

Then along comes (thankfully just a few) dingbats on TV that -- besides spreading misinformation -- want to tell us our mind-body connections are all screwed up and that they (people who have very likely not tried both smoking and vaping) know better...If you don't see the irrationality of that whole scenario then I simply don't know what else to say without insulting you, which I wish to avoid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Nonsense argument on many fronts. Misinformation and hypothetical situations.

We most definitely do have a clue about long term effects, but obviously it can not be stated with certainty- same applies to many innovations.

Misinformation....not at all, at work we have a smoking room with pretty strong ventilation system, even with a few smokers in there the smoke is ventilated fast but we have one

guy that vapes pretty hard, has his vapor set very high when he is in there 10 minutes it gets really foggy in there, the ventilation system is not able to clear the air.

But I do admit that the majority of the reasonable users of e-cigarettes hardly produce the same amount of smoke this guy produces.

10 minutes ago, Gforcejunkypkt said:

You just don't get it do you? Nobody here is saying e-cigs are harmless -- we're simply arguing that they're WAY less harmful than cigarettes (to us, those around us, and nature itself --

You might want to read some of the other replies i got.....apparently some do think it is completely harmless.

I am just base my experience of a vaper at the office who vapes like the chimney of a cooling tower,  I can feel my lungs hurt when I am in the same smoking room as him. 

But yes, you have to know what the situation is and I didn't want to generalise  it, a few of my colleagues use an e-cig that don't bother me.

• Like 1

Much agreed Bastos60, that's an unacceptable situation if someone is forcing their vapor or smoke onto others; inconsiderate cloud puffers like that certainly aren't helping vaping get more acceptance. Any responsible vaper (outside their home) only uses their device where smoking is allowed, and in any situation, only where it doesn't directly affect other people, that's just plain rude we can all agree. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mommysboy said:

You honestly think e-cigs will be killed off?

the other thing i think is that philip morris had no intention of getting into the e-cig market. their statements of a smoke free future, do the right thing bla bla bla are rubbish. they are only getting into it as they lost so much business to the e-cig market. they are no saints

Why I am not hopeful is that Thais do not seem to mount legal challenges to unfair laws.  Charging someone for tax evasion is an absurdity- not only inappropriate, but also not intentional or systematic.  But there is no outcry!  What chance?

On 2/4/2018 at 6:29 AM, YetAnother said:

On 2/4/2018 at 6:07 AM, Get Real said:

The only reason this ban exists, is to secure that the tobacco monopoly is intact. Disregarding better health, we rather ban and still make money out of peoples misery.

To call this a discussion is plain wrong. To have experts who know something about this subject asking the government to change their tobacco lobby law against vaping and to always receive the answer "no" is not a discussion!