buying a printer

llamedos

hi may i just say i bought my canon g2000 from lazasa the service was great however the same cannot be said for canon support they are automated to some degree and its not thai based so you wait 24 hours for the reply and when itr comes its not a great deal of help in other words think carefully about buying a coinon maybe others offer a better support service

• Like 1

Just bought the printer or had it for while to where it's out of warranty?    What's the specific problem?  Maybe clogged print heads?  If so, clogged print heads are a typical problem of  many inkjet printers especially if not used frequently. Lots of videos on youtube in how to unclogged various inkjet printer brands/models.   And there is definitely no shortage of printer repair/service shops in Thailand which usually don't charge too much.  But if still under warranty I would definitely be contacting Canon as you have done.  

9 minutes ago, Pib said:

Maybe clogged print heads?  If so, clogged print heads are a typical problem of  many inkjet printers especially if not used frequently

Yep............was given one so tried to make it work, but as it was not used frequently, the print heads clogged up. 

Couldn't be bothered trying to clean them every time, so gave it away and now transfer doc etc to a USB and get it printed at a local copy shop for a few baht!!

Fuji XEROX DocuPrint CP115W Laser Printer    4590 baht    no more worries about clogged print heads

color photos are ok  but not border less ( if it can do border less I cant find the setting)

also good that the print is waterproof.

Yea, unless you really need color, just go with a lower cost monochrome laser printer like a Brother HL-1110 for around Bt2,000 full retail...this prints only.  Or, a Brother DCP-1610W monochrome laser printer/copier/scanner with Wifi for around Bt4,000 full retail (can get off Lazada....Lazada fullfilled...for around Bt3700).   Brother laser printers come with a 3 year warranty.

We have 5 new Canon G2000's at work. The heads don't clog up as it has Canon's own native ink tank system versus the typicality printer cartridge system. All working great after almost 6 months of heavy use.

The OP says he just bought his and has issues with it and Canon service? Maybe he bought a dud one?

16 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yea, unless you really need color, just go with a lower cost monochrome laser printer like a Brother HL-1110 for around Bt2,000 full retail...this prints only.  Or, a Brother DCP-1610W monochrome laser printer/copier/scanner with Wifi for around Bt4,000 full retail (can get off Lazada....Lazada fullfilled...for around Bt3700).   Brother laser printers come with a 3 year warranty.

Good tip there on a cheap mono laserjet. I had Brother printers in the US home office and they were always great value for money.

I've had a few different ones

Canon - not good & when took it back to shop I could see why. There were plenty of them on the service shelves

Brother - Thought that would be good, but power circuit in it burnt out 

So this time I bought a cheap HP (Actually I wouldn't say cheap) you can get these throw away printers alot cheaper abroad 

1 hour ago, Pib said:

If you think you might want to use Linux, Samsung is most compatible.

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop-multi-function-laser-printers/samsung/?from=input&q=samsung+laser+printer

1 hour ago, BEVUP said:

I've had a few different ones

Canon - not good & when took it back to shop I could see why. There were plenty of them on the service shelves

Brother - Thought that would be good, but power circuit in it burnt out 

So this time I bought a cheap HP (Actually I wouldn't say cheap) you can get these throw away printers alot cheaper abroad 

Most Canon's seen being lugged back to the ink shops and cluttering up the shelves are for servicing of the sh!t after-market ink bottle systems.

When it comes to keeping inkjet printer heads from clogging the key is "frequent use." 

The hundreds of micron diameter nozzles in the typical inkjet print head, whether a native/built-in head or easily replaceable head, can easily clog from in-frequent use.   You'll see all kinds of recommendations from users to manufacturers regarding how often to exercise an inkjet printer from...by exercise I mean say print out at least one page.  Some people recommend twice a week...some at least once a month.   And some inkjet printers have built-in timers to do an automatic self-cleaning every X-days/weeks "if you leave them turned on/in sleep mode"....they awake from sleep mode...do a brief cleaning to clear the head noozle...cause some ink flow...and then go back to sleep.

Since the Canon G2000 has been talked, below is a snapshot from the G2000 manual where Canon recommends the printer be used "at least once a month" to help prevent print head clogging.   

For me, I have a Canon MP287 that's probably at least 5 years old and has external ink tanks....a non-factory/non-authorized modification.  I try to print one color test pattern every week or so....I have a test pattern that stays in the scanner lid, I turn the printer on, do a copy of that page to exercise the black and color print heads.  I write the date on that printout and  leave it laying in the output tray as a remember as to when my last print job was.  This print schedule has worked pretty good over the years to keep the print heads from clogging.  But I have on occasions not printed anything for a couple of months and failed to do that printer exercise every week or so which can cause the heads to partially or fully clog which then required some cleaning.  Cleaning the built-in manual cleaning function could not clear; I had to do some manual cleaning.

Yeap, "frequent use" goes a long way in keeping the ink flowing in a person's inkjet printer.

From Canon G2000 manual.

image.png.57058ff1464628d739c946f271d840c1.png 

Edited by Pib

And your inkjet printer should also have a test pattern(s) it prints out after running a cleaning operation.   Assuming that test pattern looks good...colors and text....maybe keep that printout to serve as your test pattern to copy/exercise your printer occasionally assuming you have a multi-function printer that has a scanner built-in.    That way you don't even need to have a computer hooked to your printer to quickly exercise the printer/get some ink flowing through the print heads.  And some even have test patterns you can select directly from the printer's control panel right on the printer.

However, but, a lot of times those cleaning test patterns while good to determine if the print heads have been fully cleaned/unclogged after the cleaning operation they may not be the best "to keep the ink flowing/heads unclogged" if using that printout for a scan/copy to exercise the printer. 

While the cleaning operation may have used a lot of ink the great majority of that went into the printer's ink waste pad/tank;  that will not happen when just scanning a text pattern as only the amount of ink need to reproduce the pattern will be used.  So use a test pattern that uses a fair amount of ink.

In Daffy D.'s post above "if only using one of the test patterns" (Daffy uses both) I would recommend the second pattern which includes various sized text along with color bars  over the first pattern since the first pattern mostly uses color bars with not much text.  You could actually have color bars look good in a printout but for text of "various sizes" you could see some clogging.   Varied text size and a color pattern gets my vote.

Yeap, exercise your inkjet at least once a month...and doing it every week or two is probably better to help ensure the heads do not clog...the ink keeps flowing to the heads.

Edited by Pib

That's the reason why I bought a HP without refill tank.

So every time I bought a new set of color cartiges (which are more expensive than refill tanks) but they print head will be replaced at the same time.

So for me in the end the cheaper solution, as I also not print that much. But too lazy to always run into a copy shop, when I want print out.

Edited by HampiK

Inkjet print heads without refill tanks clog just as easy as printers with refill tanks as it usually the print head "itself" that gets clogged....clogged at the print head output nozzles.   

But with a printer that uses refill tanks you can also have the problem of ink not flowing thru the lines from the tanks to the print heads due to air getting into the lines which allow the print heads to go dry or the nozzles getting clogged due to in-frequent use even with plenty of ink in the print heads.   

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/2/2018 at 11:28 AM, johng said:

Fuji XEROX DocuPrint CP115W Laser Printer    4590 baht    no more worries about clogged print heads

color photos are ok  but not border less ( if it can do border less I cant find the setting)

also good that the print is waterproof.

Have you tried printing photos on 160-200 gsm thick papers? Hi-jet brand is sold in b2s shops. laser printer compatible.

I highly doubt printing photos on 80 gsm A4 paper can produce anything good.

Edited by muratremix

34 minutes ago, muratremix said:

Have you tried printing photos on 160-200 gsm thick papers? Hi-jet brand is sold in b2s shops. laser printer compatible.

I highly doubt printing photos on 80 gsm A4 paper can produce anything good.

My Canon MF628 will print on up to 220 gsm and does a half-decent job of photos, certainly good enough for the happy-snapper album.

I'll look for Hi-Jet paper, cheers for the tip.

19 hours ago, muratremix said:

I got some  120Gsm  Hi-Jet Glossy Art Paper  Laser Color Double sided from Lazada  COD

the prints are perfectly acceptable for me  though there is some "banding" in large same color portions its only noticeable if you know its there ( if that makes sense ? )

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/hi-jet-art-glossy-paper-laser-color-120-a4-100-sheets-i7494268-s9358360.html

I tried with some 180 Gsm paper and it printed but didn't like it too much almost jammed...the manual says max 163Gsm so no surprise really.