Recommend a good instant coffee brand at Big C

zeekgarcia

As stated, looking for a good instant coffee brand sold at Big C. Do not drink coffee everyday and use to drink nescafe 3 in 1 but now want to try plain instant coffee but I do not know which brand is good. 

Thanks for your suggestions.

• Haha 1

Seems you are not really into coffee as you're considering instant coffee.

There are very good Thai ground coffees available. Why only shop in BigC ? 

The internet is a great source to find real good Thai coffees from the North.

Arabica, the milder one, or Robusta, the stronger one, plus some very good blends.

In the end it's always a matter of personal taste.

You can do a thousand varieties even with instant coffee. The ratio coffee powder to water, the kind and the amount of sugar, as well as the kind and amount of milk or creamer matters a lot.

Get started with experimenting and enjoy every sip.

My suggestion would be Nescafe Gold Swiss instant coffee.

Change the brand every time you buy coffee.  And you get what you pay for, so don't buy cheap.

• Like 1

Because it's a pita, to brew fresh Coffee each morning.

Normally, I drink Gold Blend but the taste has changed. So I bought the Swiss variant. Just not up to scratch.

Just gonna drink a good cuppa tea instead. English Tea, of course.

:post-4641-1156694572:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, maximillian said:

Seems you are not really into coffee as you're considering instant coffee.

There are very good Thai ground coffees available. Why only shop in BigC ? 

The internet is a great source to find real good Thai coffees from the North.

Arabica, the milder one, or Robusta, the stronger one, plus some very good blends.

In the end it's always a matter of personal taste.

You can do a thousand varieties even with instant coffee. The ratio coffee powder to water, the kind and the amount of sugar, as well as the kind and amount of milk or creamer matters a lot.

Get started with experimenting and enjoy every sip.

My suggestion would be Nescafe Gold Swiss instant coffee.

Change the brand every time you buy coffee.  And you get what you pay for, so don't buy cheap.

I stated Big C because it is near and I am guessing probably cheaper than 7-11 but if anyone knows of any instant coffee forsale online, I will look at it also.

I am on the same mission as you to find good instant coffee. Drank red cup all last year then visited family only to discover the coffee there was at least 5x better. My only criteria other than taste is no carbs (no premix) and thus far in order of worst to less worse is Nescafe Red Cup -> Tchibo Gold -> Nescafe Gold and they still taste pretty bad. Takes soooo long to finish a 75g bag so testing has been slow and about to start trying more expensive variants (relative to red cup they all look expensive :P)

On the subject of coffee, does anyone have a recommendation for a locally-available grind (not instant) that's really high in caffeine compared to the others?  I don't like having more than one cup at a time, but I do like that cup to have some kick.;)

Moccona  Gold is a very nice freeze dried instant coffee...very similar to Tchibo gold.

In regards to fresh ground, I would visit a Hillkoff shop and ask them. They are a very knowledgeable outfit in Chiang Mai.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, elektrified said:

Instant coffee in Northern Thailand? That"s crazy. Some excellent beans are grown right here and it's inexpensive. Get a French press and have great coffee in 4 minutes. 

Ok, you've convinced me.

Had a cup of Tea when I woke up, instead of my usual sub-standard instant coffee, & it just isn't the same.

Gonna buy a French Press: which ground coffee would you recommend?

:smile:

14 hours ago, faraday said:

Ok, you've convinced me.

Had a cup of Tea when I woke up, instead of my usual sub-standard instant coffee, & it just isn't the same.

Gonna buy a French Press: which ground coffee would you recommend?

:smile:

This. 

images.jpeg

• Thanks 1

there are people who like chicken and beer those would be instant coffee users and people who like champagne and oysters those would be the people who grind the beans and brew their own coffee

What a strange analogy. I'm off now for a cup of instant coffee with a champagne chaser. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just tried Moccona Royal Gold and not impressed, tastes just like Nescafe Gold. First sip tastes like old ground coffee water then gets better by the time you finish the taste has improved to what I guess is Thai Gold standard.

Im drinking it black and sure milk and sugar normally solve the strong I guess bitter taste. Might have to explore espresso or americano next. 

Current ranking

Nescafe Red Cup -> Moccona Royal Gold -> Tchibo Gold -> Nescafe Gold

Edited by jbob

I must admit....Haven't had instant coffee for a while. Missus bought an expresso machine ages ago so now I'm a bit spoilt in regards coffee.

Definitely not a coffee snob as I get the beans from Makro. 290 baht for 1kg. Does me fine for the morning caffene fix.

Tried some of those 3 in 1 sachets a while back....sickly sweet.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

When I go on a bike trip out into the boondocks I pack Nescafe Gold and a kettle.  Gotta have coffee in the morning but no room for the other gear. 

But at home... there are shops like Hillkoff that sell good ground (or whole beans if you step up to that) coffee for your french press or Aeropress (even better).  

But really, if you add milk, sugar, fabric softener, fish oil, whatever... what's the diff?  It's like buying premium tequila for frozen strawberry margaritas. 

• Like 1

The Vietnamese brand G7 are now sold in most supermarkets here , including Big C , look for the black coffee micro powder , no added sugar . Just black coffee but very good and strong flavor.  It's my new favorite if I do not have access to an espresso machine, 

s-l300.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/18/2018 at 12:15 AM, balo said:

The Vietnamese brand G7 are now sold in most supermarkets here , including Big C , look for the black coffee micro powder , no added sugar . Just black coffee but very good and strong flavor.  It's my new favorite if I do not have access to an espresso machine, 

s-l300.jpg

Where did you get the G7 with no added sugar? I've tried Big C Extra Klang and Foodland and they only have 3in1

20181022_162152.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I tried both areas and nothing, I'll check again just in case

Don't bother , I passed just now and could not find it so I asked the staff , sold out and not sure when they'll get more. This was Big C Xtra central Pattaya. But I have seen it in many places , maybe try Foodland or Tesco. 

Or as Samuel suggested , you can buy and stock up from Lazada. 56 baht for 15 sachets. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/g7-i250832402-s387168728.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.23.52937522UNHsMB&search=1

Edited by balo