Thai students score less than half by average in ONET exam

webfact

1 hour ago, merlin2002 said:

Just as well there wasn't a test for geography, they would get a big fat zero in that subject...

Very true.

I have noticed that generally the best most Thais can do is to know the countries bordering Thailand.

Having said that, maybe that's more to do with the never-ending nationalistic theme in soap opera style ancient dramas, showing battles and fighting with those wretched aggressors.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

Very true.

I have noticed that generally the best most Thais can do is to know the countries bordering Thailand.

Having said that, maybe that's more to do with the never-ending nationalistic theme in soap opera style ancient dramas, showing battles and fighting with those wretched aggressors.

I find the same with americans

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Sooooooo

The average Thai student failed in every subject at school.

There is a simple equation for the benefit of education in a country; if a country has a good education system, it will have a good future (whatever that may be). if a country does not have a good education system, then it will not have a good future.

Again; the average Thai student failed in every subject at school.

God help Thailand.

It is always the upper 3% of the intelligent that carry a country through, the rest of us are just drones fulfilling a task assigned to us, necessary but easily replaced,we can't all be a Stephen Hawkins.

40 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Well, the plan seems to be working, keep them dumbed down. Now all that is needed is an education budget increase and the status quo is maintained. Well done all concerned!

Very true. 

56 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Maybe you should move to a bit more sophisticated part of Thailand?

Enlighten us please, where is this Shangri la that has eluded me for 30 yrs!

• Like 2

Well, there are a thousand different psychological explanations for this.  All explained eloquently by those with greater minds than mine.  I had trouble spelling eloquently.

I would like to offer a different explanation.

When I used to teach M6 I would offer ask students what they would do if they failed exams and there were many different answers but the one that I got most often was ................Mai pen rai,  I be katoy and make big money from farang.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Sooooooo

There is a simple equation for the benefit of education in a country; if a country has a good education system, it will have a good future (whatever that may be). if a country does not have a good education system, then it will not have a good future.

God help Thailand.

Yes there are many serious problems with the Thai education system.

Also, this test has been criticized to hell for many years and still they keep using it.

Yes lots of problems with coups etc., but I just wish the general would use his powers to totally remove the first 3 or 4 layers of ed. ministry officials and install some knowledgeable and capable folks, and they do exist in this country. 

If he doesn't do it then we will wait another 20 or 30 years before there is any serious change.

Now or never...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

the O-NET contributes 20% and school-based assessments contribute 80% of the final score. In the near future, the O-NET will contribute 50% of the final score. 

So still the same result 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

I have seen questions from past test for English.  They should be firing those who come up with the test.  I am sure other sections are no better.

I agree. I'm English and retired journalist and writer. I couldn't understand some of the questions on the sample test paper my daughter brought home shortly before sitting exams which will determine her prospects of entering the university of her choice.

Scary, frustrating and dreadfully depressing.

• Like 1

In my opinion, this is to be expected. The standards of education in Thailand are pretty damn poor and we all know it. There are of course some decent schools, but they usually come with a very hefty bill at the end of each term. To be fair however, I'll say this, the private, but very affordable Thai school that my daughter attends, seems to be well organised, well maintained and competent. She is still only very young, so it's hard to judge solely on the scholastic merits of materials used by a 5 year old, but from what I've seen, it isn't too bad, an effort is being made at least. That being said, having taught adults (in a few cases actual university lecturers/professors) in the past, I can testify as to the utter lack of general knowledge and more specifically lack of knowledge/understanding of world affairs / the wider world outside of Thailand demonstrated by many. But again, in the interest of being balanced, can those of us from the West really claim our societies are very different these days? I think you could argue that the Thai youth are more respectful to their elders/peers and authority than their European/American counterparts. :-)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

The 2015 OECD ratings dont show Thailand to be  much worse than many other countries:

https://www.oecd.org/pisa/pisa-2015-results-in-focus.pdf

Out of 72 participating countries and economies, Thailand averaged better than about 21% of all participants - basically Thailand was bested by four-fifths of the participants.

Curiously, Thailand did much better than Indonesia.

11 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Out of 72 participating countries and economies, Thailand averaged better than about 21% of all participants - basically Thailand was bested by four-fifths of the participants.

Curiously, Thailand did much better than Indonesia.

and america by 1/4!! lol

5 hours ago, Get Real said:

Unfortunately there are too many factors that complete a soup of disaster in this area. That the education programme, and the level of knowledge and common sense to solve problems doesn´t even exist in the techers mindset we already know. That´s only one part of the soup, though.

The country has an ingrained lack of disciplin, and an even greater lack of respect for human beeings, lifes and moral values.

As for the disciplin, that starts already at a very early age. Here you can, in almost all areas, see children from the age of 2-3 years old. They are running free in the street, only to be taken care of by their 1 or 2 year older siter or brother. Where is the parents? Oh, I can tell you! They are deeply connected to their mobile phone screen, checking up everything that goes on in their little virtual kingdom. In other words, they have totally forgot about what the children needs from start, in form of a stable family with moral values and disciplin in all areas needed.

When the brain is mush from start, the knife cuts very deep.

That’s DISCIPLINE

13 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Sooooooo

God help Thailand.

I'm not sure if God will help in a Buddhist country. Anyway help could come only from inside. To know the inability of Thai students have to force the authorities to change their system. Unfortunately they do not ask other ASEAN countries for help as Singapore or Hongkong......(don't think even they would dream of asking farangs...)

Thai students can get jobs only in Thailand. it's a shame actually that trained teachers end up as noodle vendors. A waste of time. Unfortunately the students are not protesting against this inefficient education system but try to forge results and diplomas for no good.

• Like 1