New York police shoot black man holding pipe after reports he had firearm

webfact

New York police shoot black man holding pipe after reports he had firearm

By Alex Dobuzinskis

2018-04-05T025320Z_1_LYNXNPEE34042_RTROPTP_4_NEW-YORK-POLICE.JPG

Police officers stand behind a cordon tape at the scene where New York police officers shot to death a black man who pointed a metal pipe at them, in the borough of Brooklyn, New York, U.S., April 4, 2018, in this picture obtained from social media. Instagram @johnnyg1rl/via REUTERS

(Reuters) - New York police officers on Wednesday shot to death a black man who pointed a metal pipe at them, after responding to emergency callers who said the man was aiming a firearm at pedestrians, a police official said.

The man took a two-handed shooting stance and pointed an object at police in the city's Brooklyn borough, and three plainclothes officers and one uniformed officer shot 10 times, Chief of Department Terence Monahan told a news conference.

"This was a call of a man pointing what 911 callers and people felt was a gun at people on the street," Monahan said. "When we encounter him, he turns with what appears to be a gun at officers."

Video posted to social media showed a crowd gathered on the street after the shooting. Some yelled "oppressors" as they faced off against several officers standing on the other side of police tape.

The shooting follows a number of killings of unarmed black men by police that triggered street protests and fuelled a national debate about bias in the U.S. criminal justice system.

Police were investigating, Monahan said, adding that surveillance video obtained from stores nearby showed the man brandishing an object that looked like a firearm.

The man, whose name and age were not immediately released, was taken to a hospital where he was declared dead.

A police shooting of an unarmed black man in Sacramento, California, has sparked several days of protests.

In that incident, officers responding to a report of someone breaking windows shot to death 22-year-old Stephon Clark in his grandmother's backyard on March 18. The officers feared he had a gun, but he was found to have been holding a cellphone, Sacramento police have said.

(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis in Los Angeles; Editing by Ian Simpson in Washington)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-04-05

Now, we are going to have a lot of protests again. Oh dear! Police is bad to black people. How would it be if theese morons stop standinging in a stance looking like holding a weapon and pointing it att people and police. I say, good shooting. Hope it serves as a deterrant.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Don’t like hearing these stories as cops with nightsticks and tasers should be able to clobber these dudes no need to shoot them.

But that's just not Mom and apple pie...........Wherrrre's ma gurn!

Though hugely impressed with your skills in the arts martial it's apples and oranges. The police are responding to a call where they have been told someone is pointing a firearm at civilians. On arrival he turns and point's not a baseball bat but something that could easily be construed as a rifle barrel at them, not exactly time for batons now is it? Although with your skills you probably just could have somersault ed in hit him with one of your devastating uppercuts, disarmed him then turned to the rapturous applause from the grateful bystanders. 

No wonder so many unarmed men are shot maybe you can go explain that Logic to the street mob next time “Blaque Lives Matter” decides to start a Riot
  • Sad 1

I’m not exceptionally skilled or but I can half-quarantee if an untrained lout lunges at me with a knife HE WILL end up on his face on the ground. Very simple technically, all I have to do is put a leg forward. Have you ever seen the movie “The Karate Kid” ? ( a story of Daniel, a violent sociopath who moves to Southern California and immediately begins tormenting a local youth and his friends).

Watch how Johnny deals with Daniel when he is attacked on the beach. A from the moment the attacker loses balance he is completely under my control I can strike him on the way down, put him in a hold and disarm him, or simply leave the situation.

No I can’t fight off a rat-pack but it is unconscionable so many police in protective gear with numbers on their side, Nightsticks and tasers resort to gunfire so quickly in the US against unarmed assailants.

Dude how many times you think things will go your way? 50 times? What happens on 51 when you trip?

Good luck with that.

7 hours ago, riclag said:

. What's the source of the video?This video is misleading.What does it have to do with New York and the news story? What are the circumstances,involved. It's apparent this video has been edited. New York doesn't have open carry laws.

No one knows by this article  in this thread all of the details.

"Open carry in public is not legal in most instances. While no law specifically bans open carry, a license to carry is issued to carry concealed as per penal law 400. Therefore, pistol permit holders must carry concealed. ... New York preempts only handgun licensing".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_New_York

According to this source, "The man was Bipolar ,Police described the object, seen to the right, that the man shot was holding as a metal pipe with a nob at the end. Sources originally told NY1 that police shot the man after he did not drop a gun when officers told him to"  .

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2018/04/04/police-involved-shooting-nyc-brooklyn-nypd-says

It says Sheriff on the police car.....there are no sheriffs in New York. The video is very telling of the obvious disparity between the way blacks and whites are treated by the white police in many parts of America. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Get Real said:

Now, we are going to have a lot of protests again. Oh dear! Police is bad to black people. How would it be if theese morons stop standinging in a stance looking like holding a weapon and pointing it att people and police. I say, good shooting. Hope it serves as a deterrant.

That's right, always the black man's fault, never the good ol' white cop.

Same as the justice system here, policeman will be found not guilty.

So much for LBJ's Civil Rights Act.

Disgraceful.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Mansell said:

It says Sheriff on the police car.....there are no sheriffs in New York. The video is very telling of the obvious disparity between the way blacks and whites are treated by the white police in many parts of America. 

Sorry that video your referring to has no  verifiable source. It has parts edited.  There could of been shots fired in the area of the individual that was told to lay down.There could of been someone calling in a robbery.This could of been anything other then what the poster wants everybody to believe.  sources!

Edited by riclag
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Jools said:

This never happens in England. Disarm America's blood-thirsty cops and it won't happen in the USA either.

Cops and people are being attacked everyday. America allows Police to carry weapons.England is not  America !America isn't perfect,neither is England. Perhaps if this guy listen to the police commands he would be still here.

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I just saw this photo of the incident.

If I was an armed cop and faced by this man I wouldn't wait to find out whether it was a real gun or not. His colour wouldn't influence my decision.

5ac64889b17e3_Gunman.jpg.07728d276666ddaa86e1ede63c12920b.jpg

Looks like he's pointing something . Do you have a source for this photo? 

I know the cops have a tough job.  But, that is the nature of the business, and they volunteered for it.  As protectors of the people, supposedly anyway, until and unless shots are fired, they should not be allowed to shoot and should be held to that standard. Risky and dangerous, absolutely.  But that should be the rules of engagement.  In America, one is supposedly innocent until proven guilty.  And in cases as this, the presumption or "thought he had a gun" should not be license to shoot and kill.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Thanks

Here is one more,"Sources originally told NY1 that police shot the man after he did not drop a gun when officers told him to".

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2018/04/04/police-involved-shooting-nyc-brooklyn-nypd-says

1 hour ago, riclag said:

Cops and people are being attacked everyday. America allows Police to carry weapons.England is not  America !America isn't perfect,neither is England. Perhaps if this guy listen to the police commands he would be still here.

it does happen. in the UK. often. but not as often as the USA. lambeth,Tottenham,  Brixton.. Stockwell..my manor my knowledge..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

I know the cops have a tough job.  But, that is the nature of the business, and they volunteered for it.  As protectors of the people, supposedly anyway, until and unless shots are fired, they should not be allowed to shoot and should be held to that standard. Risky and dangerous, absolutely.  But that should be the rules of engagement.  In America, one is supposedly innocent until proven guilty.  And in cases as this, the presumption or "thought he had a gun" should not be license to shoot and kill.

When police give a command , you don't resist.People called 911 to report a man with a gun.He wasn't told to stop smoking,swearing,causing a disturbance.They gave a command that was  not obeyed .

Edited by riclag

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

And the Police should always go around in twos, so when one gets shot dead, the other can then shoot the assailant 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1