Aussie does the pointing - Thai girl does the "wai" after $4,900 theft

Jonathan Fairfield

How much money a person carries is there business, but stealing it is another matter.

The the land of paradise and smiles where no crime is committed against tourists, and where foreigners can feel safe in the knowledge that no matter what they wear or have, will be safe from crime...

Ya right!

Will she be imprisoned?

Made to pay compensation?

Community service????

Wishful thinking on my part.

More like smiles, Wai, and the usual BS, "I have to pay for my sisters school" or "pay for someone in hospital" etc...and then back to normal.

My guess is, the thief will be selling her body, illegally, tonight.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ Z PRO using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Strange name for an Australian Surely it would have been easier to ask the Australian man for his name and how it was spelt
That wasn't his name, it's his profession, Delburn a Yodeller from Australia.
Thai's often drop the last constant, why not the first too.
He used to do karaoke yodelling which I believe he studied in Isan
Good lad bad gik. I think he still loves her even with the Minor Unfortunate Shop-Lifting Eccentricity. (Musle)
I could go on ....[emoji42]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

When will the boys who are hot in their pants, learn that bringing back a girl to their place has a risk of theft, STD or at worst, having to endulge in high rise balcony skydive with no parachute ?

Have fun for sure, but don't be stupid in leaving cash, computers, cell phones, passport, watch (or perhaps even toilet goods) hanging around.

As repeated before, before leaving the room on the mongering trail, secure and lock up all your stuff.

Also be sure that the chick leaves her id at the reception as required. Some basic precautions can avoid having to waï later towards a common thief.

It is more then obvious, that the prostitutes who steal from visitors, are not jailed in Thailand.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourist and Pattaya police on Thursday arrested a Thai woman for having allegedly stolen Bt60,000 worth of foreign currency from an Australian tourist in a Pattaya condominium....

....Albert Ayoubdel filed a complaint with Pattaya police that a Thai woman stole 4,900 Australian dollars and US$700 from his room.

5 hours ago, a977 said:

Must have been one hell of a party, at yesterdays exchange rate $4900 comes to 116,620thb and she only had 810thb left. me think someone telling porkies

Someone read A 900 as 4,900 -- 900 AUD does equal 700 USD

None of the numbers make sense.

Edited by Stocky

I think the wai police should cut him some slack for not knowing the rules, he's a tourist not a sexpat. He didn't know how to point, either (arm fully extended, point at perp's head not chest).

He may still be an idiot, depending on whether his room had a safe, whether he thought his room was going to have a safe, and why he thought it was a good idea to bring that much cash, etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JSixpack said:

How did you know there's to be no charge? Or that she will continue to steal after the charges are filed and judgment rendered?

Not illegal in the sense you (and most posters here, unaware of the law) probably define it. Moreover, police regularly round up prostitutes and fine them, so, no, it's not a blind eye.

They do that for tjek for drugs and prostitution is illegal 

How did you know there's to be no charge? Or that she will continue to steal after the charges are filed and judgment rendered?

We dont know, but it's highly likely.

Very few thefts actually result in prosecution here. Why? Because if they did then the number of people with a criminal record would be extremely high, and somewhat embarrassing. Much better to just hush it all up with a quick wai, as that way everyone can just pretend that there is hardly any theft here, and hardly any recidivism.

Of course, it doesnt help the victims of the initial crimes, nor does it help anyone who the thief goes on to steal from later.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, YetAnother said:

what a charade, photo op showing the victim , socially constrained to do so, showing a sign of respect to the criminal at the police station

I am afraid most foreign tourists have no idea of when to, and not to,  give a wei.  You see them doing it to children, to waitresses in restaurants and even to noodle sellers. I think most Thais find it amusing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

I am afraid most foreign tourists have no idea of when to, and not to,  give a wei.  You see them doing it to children, to waitresses in restaurants and even to noodle sellers. I think most Thais find it amusing. 

I sometimes wai my senior students, some waitresses in the restaurant where we often eat out ,and I also wai a couple of noodle sellers, after they wai me. They are younger. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

I sometimes wai my senior students, some waitresses in the restaurant where we often eat out ,and I also wai a couple of noodle sellers, after they wai me. They are younger. 

I think that makes my point, thank you.  There is a difference between people you know and those just serving you.  But you know that.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, keith101 said:

why would you be so stupid to have so much cash in your room asking for trouble .

How about because he is a tourist who brought the money in cash with, because he doesn't want to pay the 250 Baht each time he goes to the atm, same as all the whining tv members and also doesn't have a bank account, because he is a tourist and not a whining retired tv member?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why was the Aussie not offered to wear a mask before the photo shoot? I would have insisted on it ! Now his sex life in Pattaya is on Internet for the rest of his life . Lady was much smarter.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Happy enough said:

120,000 baht cash in his room. Could've taken back something a bit hotter than that girl mate

He had AUD cash in his room, which is fairly typical for tourists that can get better rates at moneychangers than using cards, etc. He should have hidden it better, that's all. It doesn't take long to go through that much cash while on holiday in Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

I think that makes my point, thank you.  There is a difference between people you know and those just serving you.  But you know that.

I did forget to say that in my original post I referred to tourists and not ex-pats who do learn the difference (at least most do) with time and a bit of guidance.

11 hours ago, YetAnother said:

what a charade, photo op showing the victim , socially constrained to do so, showing a sign of respect to the criminal at the police station

thought so, too: in Thai society you normally do not wai freely to anybody clearly your junior (age, social status, job position or else) and this jackaroo who just got shop-lifted is ever so cuddly with that lowly criminal

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:55 PM, Henrik Andersen said:

Why is it so easy for prostitutes to just wai and no charge it is therefore they will continue to steal from their customers 

Prostitution is itslef illegal but police turn the blind eye but stealing is a crime and that they need prison time for 

To men there need go to prostitutes keep your money in safe and condoms on table before you take her back to your room 

Keep safe guys 

Just a good advice from a happy married man 

Why would you think that she was not charged with theft? 

Was she caught in the act of prostituting herself?

Edited by Just Weird

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:55 PM, Henrik Andersen said:

Why is it so easy for prostitutes to just wai and no charge it is therefore they will continue to steal from their customers 

Prostitution is itslef illegal but police turn the blind eye but stealing is a crime and that they need prison time for 

To men there need go to prostitutes keep your money in safe and condoms on table before you take her back to your room 

Keep safe guys 

Just a good advice from a happy married man 

...with enough experience of prossys to give others advice and to be happily married?

23 hours ago, JOC said:

Stupid meets stupid........Judged by their actions, there was one brain cell involved by both parties (being polite here)

He finds the ugliest (?) hooker in Pattaya.....leaves 4900 AU$ on the nightstand  for her to steal...

She steals the money...do a little shopping....and goes back to her favorite bar...instead of going home to the sticks to celebrate Songkran....

They deserved each other.....:coffee1:

Where's the picture showing how ugly (you claim) she is, do you know her?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why is this idiot wai-ing a prostitute? Not only a prostitute, but a thief who has stolen from him. Unbelievable. Alice Through the Looking Glass stuff.

Perhaps he's a tourist not aware of Thai conventions and just trying to be polite for everyone?

5 hours ago, lvr181 said:

TAKE HER MASK OFF - she is a criminal. :post-4641-1156693976:

Are the Police 'on her side"?

No, they're probably not, she's entitled to not show her identity for these unauthorized parades as is everyone in that situation.

Edited by Just Weird

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

We dont know, but it's highly likely.

Very few thefts actually result in prosecution here. Why? Because if they did then the number of people with a criminal record would be extremely high, and somewhat embarrassing. Much better to just hush it all up with a quick wai, as that way everyone can just pretend that there is hardly any theft here, and hardly any recidivism.

"We dont know, but it's highly likely".

Really?  Says who?

"Very few thefts actually result in prosecution here".

Really?  Says who?

'Much better to just hush it all up with a quick wai..."

What?  And then allow it to be advertised on the internet for the world to see to help "hush it up"?  Haven't thought this out very well, have you?