Vietnam Places & Things to see & do

Mario666

Hi All,

I have lived on Samui for 8 years plus and am suffering from "Island Fever".....it is just too small.

I have traveled in Thailand extensively, but I fancy a look at Vietnam so I am going mid May for 10 days.

I am visiting a friend who is based in HCM for the first weekend, but he is working so I will be looking for things to do and see.

Can anyone recommend some places.....Not Temples...been to millions in Thailand already :unsure:

I do not plan on staying in HCM the whole time.

What are your favourite cities/locations in Nam?

Also any "Do's and Don'ts" would be most welcome.

Many thanks in anticipation.

M

15 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Nha Trang, Hoi An and if you can invest in some more days,  Sapa

Hey thanks Simple1.

I Googled them all and all look fantastic.

As Sapa is a long way North I will probably try and see on my next visit.

Have you lived in Nam or just visited?

M

1 hour ago, Mario666 said:

Hey thanks Simple1.

I Googled them all and all look fantastic.

As Sapa is a long way North I will probably try and see on my next visit.

Have you lived in Nam or just visited?

M

Just visited for 4 weeks when living in Thailand. Loved the place, lot cleaner than Thailand. One memory in HCM was waking at 4:00AM and walked to the main market, sitting with an old Viet lady drinking the fantastic Viet coffee together, in silence, people watching in darkness till the early morning sunlight - no one hassling - perfect:smile:

In Nha Trang see if the blind people massage place is still there, interesting experience, no sex.

Vung Tau is a nice side trip from HCMC if only for the boat ride down river to the coast...otherwise I'd find a cafe with a terrace and drink beer and watch the parade...they also got places with sidewalk seating areas to get good VN coffee and places that sell 'bia hoi' $0.50 glasses of draft beer that usually has a bar menu with local tidbits...

don't miss the pho bo fer breakfast...loadsa places around...

try to avoid the touristy areas in HCMC as the local folks 'see you coming' and rip you off accordingly...I was payin' about $10 by the Binh Thanh market for a bottle of Vodka Hanoi and then later stumbled into a corner shop and the price was $2.50 about 10 years ago...

HCMC district 1 is my second favorite place in asia after old town Hanoi...

14 hours ago, simple1 said:

Just visited for 4 weeks when living in Thailand. Loved the place, lot cleaner than Thailand. One memory in HCM was waking at 4:00AM and walked to the main market, sitting with an old Viet lady drinking the fantastic Viet coffee together, in silence, people watching in darkness till the early morning sunlight - no one hassling - perfect:smile:

In Nha Trang see if the blind people massage place is still there, interesting experience, no sex.

Sounds great.....but not sure about "Blind Massage" ?:smile:

Where do you live now?

14 hours ago, strikingsunset said:

Sapa is a great “ side trip “ if you take the overnight train from Hanoi, arrive daybreak, find ( easily, a local tour guide)and hike in the mountains for 2-3 days and see the chinese border also..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Thanks I fancy that!

:thumbsup:

8 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

Vung Tau is a nice side trip from HCMC if only for the boat ride down river to the coast...otherwise I'd find a cafe with a terrace and drink beer and watch the parade...they also got places with sidewalk seating areas to get good VN coffee and places that sell 'bia hoi' $0.50 glasses of draft beer that usually has a bar menu with local tidbits...

don't miss the pho bo fer breakfast...loadsa places around...

try to avoid the touristy areas in HCMC as the local folks 'see you coming' and rip you off accordingly...I was payin' about $10 by the Binh Thanh market for a bottle of Vodka Hanoi and then later stumbled into a corner shop and the price was $2.50 about 10 years ago...

HCMC district 1 is my second favorite place in asia after old town Hanoi...

Many thanks for the advice and noted :thumbsup:

I am curious about "Second favourite place in Asia" ????

Where do you live?

Just now, Mario666 said:

Looks great mate.

I have a nephew living on the Gold Coast and plan to visit in October/November.

May I enquire why you subscribe to TVF?

Was researching TVF when planning to retire in Thailand back in 2004. When living in Thailand sometimes useful to get some feedback. Still have a house in Thailand for visiting, but must live  in Oz as have a major medical problem requiring ongoing treatment - cannot afford the high cost of Thai private hospitals; do not trust quality of care at Thai government hospitals.

Stay with the forum mainly for following international news and battling bigots and nasties from the far right:smile:

28 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

Many thanks for the advice and noted :thumbsup:

I am curious about "Second favourite place in Asia" ????

Where do you live?

I live in a small town in central Thailand with my wife and her family...I worked in VN for 2 years on different projects in Hanoi and HCMC and on the north central coast...VN has got a lot more in the way of entertainment value...plus I'm lucky to have friends there which gives me a connection that a westerner wouldn't ordinarily have...

13 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Was researching TVF when planning to retire in Thailand back in 2004. When living in Thailand sometimes useful to get some feedback. Still have a house in Thailand for visiting, but must live  in Oz as have a major medical problem requiring ongoing treatment - cannot afford the high cost of Thai private hospitals; do not trust quality of care at Thai government hospitals.

Stay with the forum mainly for following international news and battling bigots and nasties from the far right:smile:

Sorry to hear about your health.

I have experience of both private and government hospitals in Thailand. The private (Bangkok Hospital in Chaweng) was unbelievable, but so were the prices.....For example when I was bitten by a Soi dog they charged me 39,000 Thb  for rabies shots.

On another occasion (after my travel insurance had expired) I got Cellulitis from an insect bite and spent 11 days in Nathon Govt Hospital.....cost 22,000 Thb.....but I saw many patients that didn't make it through the night...Not joking!

One English lady who was 60 came in with a "Gastro" problem after swimming in dirty water near Lamai....I chatted to her and said I would come back to see her next morning...I was in a different ward.

Next morning I went back to see her, but the bed was empty. I asked the nurse where she had gone and she said she has gone to see Buddha.... I said "What...She has gone to a temple?".....she smiled ruefully and pointed to the ceiling!

29 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I live in a small town in central Thailand with my wife and her family...I worked in VN for 2 years on different projects in Hanoi and HCMC and on the north central coast...VN has got a lot more in the way of entertainment value...plus I'm lucky to have friends there which gives me a connection that a westerner wouldn't ordinarily have...

So why did you decide to live in LOS and not VN?

2 hours ago, Mario666 said:

On another occasion (after my travel insurance had expired) I got Cellulitis from an insect bite and spent 11 days in Nathon Govt Hospital.....cost 22,000 Thb.....but I saw many patients that didn't make it through the night...Not joking!

One English lady who was 60 came in with a "Gastro" problem after swimming in dirty water near Lamai....I chatted to her and said I would come back to see her next morning...I was in a different ward.

Next morning I went back to see her, but the bed was empty. I asked the nurse where she had gone and she said she has gone to see Buddha.... I said "What...She has gone to a temple?".....she smiled ruefully and pointed to the ceiling!

Just to close out the conversation....my Thai wife's brother cried when he thought he had to go to a government hospital for a heart problem, convinced it was a death sentence. We helped him out with an alternative facility  - he lived.

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

Just to close out the conversation....my Thai wife's brother cried when he thought he had to go to a government hospital for a heart problem, convinced it was a death sentence. We helped him out with an alternative facility  - he lived.

Good choice :thumbsup:

I was first admitted to the medical ward at Nathon Govt. Hospital in Samui for cellulitis from an insect bite.

There were all sorts of people (mostly Thai...a couple of Farangs)....Many very sick and some close to death....as you found out next morning....when they were GONE!

The nurses do F* ALL except administer IV Drugs (in my case for 2 hours each session 3 times a day) or ask you if you have had a shit or a piss and take your blood pressure.

So the poor Thai patients get their relatives to take care of them on the ward.....Most of them have 4 or 5 family around the bed 24/7.

They sleep on the floor.

There was no air-con, only fans...half of which don't work and those that do squeak like crazy because never maintained.

So they left the doors and windows open 24/7 which invited mozzies and all sorts in to add to the fun.

After 5 days on the ward my foot and leg were still heavily swollen and not showing signs of improvement so they decided that I may need surgery and so I was moved to the surgical ward.

At least there they do not allow the relatives to stay overnight, but the downside is that they also leave the doors open and stray cats and dogs wander into the ward at meal times.

They sometimes eat the leftovers that are put on a trolley at the end of the ward (for disposal).....But the food is so crap that not only will poor Thais not eat it, but even the Mutts and Moggies turn their noses up at it!

Once on the surgical ward you gain a whole different experience......Unlike the medical ward where patients die randomly from "Who knows what?"...there are people in various states of distress.....amputees crying in pain until they get their morphine, etc.

There was one poor kid who was totally mashed by a motorbike accident who was covered from head to toe in bandages which made him look just like an Egyptian Mummy except that the bandages were red as he was still bleeding.

At one point I saw a cat sitting on his chest licking the bandages.....the nurses did nothing.

Mercifully after 11 days the swelling had reduced enough for them to let me go, but they checked that I was flying that day and gave me a "Do it yourself" syringe of antibiotics and told me to inject it into my belly just before boarding the flight.

Have you got any fun Thai medical experiences you would like to share?

Hanoi is nice to walk around, near the French quarter and the lake. Cat Ba Island is similar to Ha Long Bay but quieter.

If you want to get away from the tourist traps Ban Gioc waterfall in the far north on the Chinese border, also Pac Bo at the same time. (Google them)

Sa Pa is nice and has the highest point in Indo China, Fanispan, a great trip up in a cable car.

South of Hanoi Tam Coc where they use there feet to row the boats.

Mai Chau for some stunning mountain scenery.

Hue, Hoi An and Da Nang all near each other and worth a visit.

Dalat is not far from Saigon and the town of Mui Ne and its sands is a nice tourist place.

11 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

Had an acquaintance who had the same problem as you. He flew back to Australia as wasn't getting better at the Thai hospital. Other than that only to say that my Thai family are in fear of the government hospital.

11 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Hanoi is nice to walk around, near the French quarter and the lake. Cat Ba Island is similar to Ha Long Bay but quieter.

If you want to get away from the tourist traps Ban Gioc waterfall in the far north on the Chinese border, also Pac Bo at the same time. (Google them)

Sa Pa is nice and has the highest point in Indo China, Fanispan, a great trip up in a cable car.

South of Hanoi Tam Coc where they use there feet to row the boats.

Mai Chau for some stunning mountain scenery.

Hue, Hoi An and Da Nang all near each other and worth a visit.

Dalat is not far from Saigon and the town of Mui Ne and its sands is a nice tourist place.

Hi Chrissables,

Thank you for your recommendations.

From the other responses I have received I think I will probably go for a 1 month tourist visa now because it looks so nice.

I think I will have to limit myself to the Southern destinations for my first visit for time purposes.

It looks a lot cleaner than Thailand..is that so?

Many thanks.

M

Try Mui Nee a small seaside town not far from HCMC..great little place. Go carting on the sand dunes..great fun.

Take a bus down into the Mekong delta. Lots to see and do down there.

You could also try  Dalat mountain resort..nice and cool.

Hoi An is a fabulous visit. Stayed in GH for $15 bedt and cleanest. Take s bicycle and pedal around.

Lastly a visit to Mee Lai (google why) and the DMZ .. see the Rockpile and other battle sights plus a visit to Khe San.

Vietnam .... fabulous but more expensive now and highly touristy now.

ps dont forget to see the water puppet show.

1 hour ago, Mario666 said:

Hi Chrissables,

Thank you for your recommendations.

From the other responses I have received I think I will probably go for a 1 month tourist visa now because it looks so nice.

I think I will have to limit myself to the Southern destinations for my first visit for time purposes.

It looks a lot cleaner than Thailand..is that so?

Many thanks.

M

Yes it is cleaner, especially in the countryside. No dog crap everywhere, for a good reason!

You need to get a visa before you go when over two weeks. Or arrive with a visa free entry and extend it.

I have ridden my motorbike from Saigon to the Chinese border and back, for me the north is better but the mountains od Dalat are near Saigon, lots to see everywhere.

I'm off soon for a 3 month ride around the countryside :)

4 hours ago, simple1 said:

Nice one mate....Life is priceless! :thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Yes it is cleaner, especially in the countryside. No dog crap everywhere, for a good reason!

You need to get a visa before you go when over two weeks. Or arrive with a visa free entry and extend it.

I have ridden my motorbike from Saigon to the Chinese border and back, for me the north is better but the mountains od Dalat are near Saigon, lots to see everywhere.

I'm off soon for a 3 month ride around the countryside :)

Thanks mate for the info....this will be my first trip to Nam.

I know that VN is a very big country...looked on the map :smile:....My friend also tells me it is cold up North at this time of year....I am strictly shorts and TShirt these days having been on Samui 8 years plus.

I will definitely visit the North in future, but it seems from the responses I have had already there are so many beautiful places in the South.

Depending on how things transpire I may even consider moving there for a change?:wink:

What is the cost of living like compared to Samui...(Samui is about 200% of Isaan prices for most things)...1million % for property.

Cheers,

M

If you are a beer drinker, you could do no better in SEA than hang out in HCMC. The last few years has seen brew pub openings of Pasteur Street Brewing, East-West, Winking Seal, Phat Rooster, Heart of Darkness. All their own bars, easily locatable on Google Maps. All very affordable, too, unlike Thailand. 

Otherwise, as Tutsiwarrior says, Vung Tau worth a visit for the 2-hour boat ride leaving from Ben Nha Rong pier. Nice, clean seaside city with tree-lined streets and parks on the ocean, and lots of girly bars, it being an oil and gas port. Some good restos such as Offshore, Don Quijote, Blue Corner, Kosak, Ly's, Outback Cafe, etc.

I lived there for 6 months last year.

2 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

If you are a beer drinker, you could do no better in SEA than hang out in HCMC. The last few years has seen brew pub openings of Pasteur Street Brewing, East-West, Winking Seal, Phat Rooster, Heart of Darkness. All their own bars, easily locatable on Google Maps. All very affordable, too, unlike Thailand. 

Otherwise, as Tutsiwarrior says, Vung Tau worth a visit for the 2-hour boat ride leaving from Ben Nha Rong pier. Nice, clean seaside city with tree-lined streets and parks on the ocean, and lots of girly bars, it being an oil and gas port. Some good restos such as Offshore, Don Quijote, Blue Corner, Kosak, Ly's, Outback Cafe, etc.

Thanks mate....you guys have helped immensely.....I know Vietnam is a large and diversified country and as such I didn't know where to start.....now I know I will do a month in the South on this trip and then look in central and North next time.

Just as a matter of interest did you get any negatives from the North....as in hangover from the War?....I am English, but they won't know that! :unsure:

46 minutes ago, Whitson said:

Try Mui Nee a small seaside town not far from HCMC..great little place. Go carting on the sand dunes..great fun.

Take a bus down into the Mekong delta. Lots to see and do down there.

You could also try  Dalat mountain resort..nice and cool.

Hoi An is a fabulous visit. Stayed in GH for $15 bedt and cleanest. Take s bicycle and pedal around.

Lastly a visit to Mee Lai (google why) and the DMZ .. see the Rockpile and other battle sights plus a visit to Khe San.

Vietnam .... fabulous but more expensive now and highly touristy now.

ps dont forget to see the water puppet show.

Thanks Whitson...Gold Dust!:thumbsup:

19 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Thanks to you also mate....Now I am spoiled for choice ???....Life can be so difficult! :biggrin:

3 hours ago, Mario666 said:

Good choice :thumbsup:

I was first admitted to the medical ward at Nathon Govt. Hospital in Samui for cellulitis from an insect bite.

There were all sorts of people (mostly Thai...a couple of Farangs)....Many very sick and some close to death....as you found out next morning....when they were GONE!

The nurses do F* ALL except administer IV Drugs (in my case for 2 hours each session 3 times a day) or ask you if you have had a shit or a piss and take your blood pressure.

So the poor Thai patients get their relatives to take care of them on the ward.....Most of them have 4 or 5 family around the bed 24/7.

They sleep on the floor.

There was no air-con, only fans...half of which don't work and those that do squeak like crazy because never maintained.

So they left the doors and windows open 24/7 which invited mozzies and all sorts in to add to the fun.

After 5 days on the ward my foot and leg were still heavily swollen and not showing signs of improvement so they decided that I may need surgery and so I was moved to the surgical ward.

At least there they do not allow the relatives to stay overnight, but the downside is that they also leave the doors open and stray cats and dogs wander into the ward at meal times.

They sometimes eat the leftovers that are put on a trolley at the end of the ward (for disposal).....But the food is so crap that not only will poor Thais not eat it, but even the Mutts and Moggies turn their noses up at it!

Once on the surgical ward you gain a whole different experience......Unlike the medical ward where patients die randomly from "Who knows what?"...there are people in various states of distress.....amputees crying in pain until they get their morphine, etc.

There was one poor kid who was totally mashed by a motorbike accident who was covered from head to toe in bandages which made him look just like an Egyptian Mummy except that the bandages were red as he was still bleeding.

At one point I saw a cat sitting on his chest licking the bandages.....the nurses did nothing.

Mercifully after 11 days the swelling had reduced enough for them to let me go, but they checked that I was flying that day and gave me a "Do it yourself" syringe of antibiotics and told me to inject it into my belly just before boarding the flight.

Sorry, all incredibly  bad, wrong diagnoses, expensive  rip offs! Never fun!

On 4/7/2018 at 2:11 PM, simple1 said:

There's a blind massage place here in Pattaya also..

Archived