Registering new motorbike under my own name being a tourist

Hello, I am from a western country and I have 30 days visa on arrival. I'm living here with that kind of visa and I am planing to buy a scooter to move around. I have a one year condo rental contract. 

In the store they told me that I would need a Work Permit (which I don't have) or a Residence Certificate to register the motorbike under my name. Any experience getting this Residence Certificate in Bkk immigration or any other alternative to register the scooter under my name will be appreciated.

Regards

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

How do you plan on staying longer if you only have a 30 day visa?

I have been intermittently here for more than a year already. I am from a western country with 30 days visa exemption and I travel a lot. I manage an online business and I am still way under retirement age so there is no many options for me. 

Hope somebody can help regarding motorbike registration..

Edited by carlinternational

15 hours ago, carlinternational said:

Any experience getting this Residence Certificate in Bkk immigration or any other alternative

If Immigration won't ( don't know why they wouldn't) give you the letter you could try your countries embassy.

3 hours ago, johng said:

If Immigration won't ( don't know why they wouldn't) give you the letter you could try your countries embassy.

Immigration requires that you go to where you do your 90 day report to obtain a certificate of residence, so the OP on a visa exempt entry would not have a Immigration office that serves him, therefore the only option is to obtain a certificate of residence from his home country embassy 

15 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Immigration requires that you go to where you do your 90 day report to obtain a certificate of residence, so the OP on a visa exempt entry would not have a Immigration office that serves him, therefore the only option is to obtain a certificate of residence from his home country embassy 

Yes, first statement is correct, but second part and conclusion are not. Op doesn't have an office, and could go to office where his condo is located. Your conclusion is therefor incorrect and nonsense.

Bangkok immigration won't issue you a certificate of residence if you are a tourist.

Only some embassies issue a certificate of residence if you are a tourist (For example the German embassy doesn't issue one to a tourist)

So you should check if you can get one at your embassy

If you can't get one from the embassy your only chance is to get one in another province, for example Udon Thani will issue one if you are on a tourist visa / exempt, but they want to see a rental contract and i assume you have to register the motorbike in the province where you got the certificate of residence, so probably Udon Thani is a bit far for you (you have to show the motorbike when you change the registration, and the process takes a few days because you have to change the registered province as well and these are two steps). But i did ever read somewhere on Thaivisa that the immigration at Jomtien would issue a certificate of residence to a tourist, that's at least closer to Bangkok.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Bangkok immigration won't issue you a certificate of residence if you are a tourist.

Only some embassies issue a certificate of residence if you are a tourist (For example the German embassy doesn't issue one to a tourist)

If you can't get one from the embassy your only chance is to get one in another province, for example Udon Thani will issue one if you are on a tourist visa / exempt, but they want to see a rental contract and i assume you have to register the motorbike in the province where you got the certificate of residence, so probably Udon Thani is a bit far for you (you have to show the motorbike when you change the registration, and the process takes a few days because you have to change the registered province as well and these are two steps). But i did ever read somewhere on Thaivisa that the immigration at Jomtien would issue a certificate of residence to a tourist, that's at least closer to Bangkok.

Jomtein require a tm30 before doing a certificate, they will issue with a tourist visa, not sure on a visa exempt.

op an elite visa is available in  your circumstances, repeated visa exempt is not a sure way to stay long term

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

Easiest for the OP: go to Bangkok immigration. If they won't issue, go to embassy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2018 at 12:05 PM, stevenl said:

Easiest for the OP: go to Bangkok immigration. If they won't issue, go to embassy.

UPDATE: I finally got the residence certificate from my Embassy after showing them my passport, my rental contract and paying around 400thb

In few days I will go to the store with all the documents. I hope they can register the motorbike under my name.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, carlinternational said:

UPDATE: I finally got the residence certificate from my Embassy after showing them my passport, my rental contract and paying around 400thb

In few days I will go to the store with all the documents. I hope they can register the motorbike under my name.

Result! I was hoping that you wouldn't have to buy it in Udon as that's a bugger of a road-trip to Bangkok in a step-through.

What language is the residence certificate in?

Not trying to pop any balloons but just be aware of the possible bureaucratic pedantry when it comes to getting what you want.

On 4/22/2018 at 9:17 AM, NanLaew said:

Result! I was hoping that you wouldn't have to buy it in Udon as that's a bugger of a road-trip to Bangkok in a step-through.

What language is the residence certificate in?

Not trying to pop any balloons but just be aware of the possible bureaucratic pedantry when it comes to getting what you want.

It's in English, should I had get it in Thai?

17 hours ago, johng said:
On 4/24/2018 at 2:01 AM, carlinternational said:
It's in English, should I had get it in Thai?

All the ones I got from immigration where in Thai...some "jobsworth" at the DLT might not like it in English ?

English is fine.