Chart Thai Pattana Party - Keeping pace with the times

webfact

Keeping pace with the times

By Jintana Panyaarvudh 
The Nation 

09d9c6026fb05e6a1a2c232b2b5ae750.jpeg

Chart Thai Pattana goes for young blood as it realises need to rebrand itself

THE NEXT ELECTION is still far away, possibly not before February next year, according to the prime minister, but some newborn parties have begun introducing themselves as an alternative to the usual voting options, while many of the established political parties have plans to revitalise themselves and be more competitive.

That includes the established Chart Thai Pattana Party, founded by the late former leader and prime minister Banharn Silpa-archa, whose powerful personality dominated the party and its predecessor Chart Thai Party for more than 20 years. 

The original Chart Thai Party, known for its “old-style” politics, was dissolved due to election fraud and reinvented itself with “Pattana” in its name. 

In a recent interview with The Nation, party adviser Varawut Silpa-archa announced a plan to rebrand his party by mixing “young blood” with seasoned politicians.

After the passing of his father in 2016, “Phu Yai” (senior politicians) in the party had discussed and agreed that they needed to revive the party by pushing young blood to the frontlines, Varawut said.

To move the country forward, “new things” must be created, he said. 

“How do you shape the country by letting only senior people get involved? We need the young generation to be involved, too because they are the people who will live with it.” 

Varawut was referring to the junta government’s 20-year strategic plan and accompanying reforms, which were drafted by senior experts.

“We also believe that more of the young generation will enter politics. So with our plan, we will have a new ‘product’ to offer voters,” he said.

The party plan will put its veteran politicians in back-up roles to the young ones. 

“It’s like the Phu Yai will become the board of directors, while the young blood, aged around 30-45, will become the CEO, CFO or party leader, deputy leader and secretary-general,” the 44-year-old politician said.

Both sides will work in collaboration, he said. 

He compared the seasoned seniors to an experienced “brain” with a store of background political knowledge, which the young blood could analyse and turn into new policies and approaches that avoid repeating the mistakes of the past. 

Several of the young blood are also experienced former party MPs, including Paradon and Korawee Prissanananthakul, sons of former party executive Somsak, and Samerkun Thiengtham, son of former party executive Jongchai. 

There is also Siripong Angkasakulkiat, a second-generation business heir of the family behind the Sirimongkol Property company in Si Sa Ket. “And then there is me, of course,” said Varawut.

Most of them are heirs of old politicians, the former PM’s son conceded, while also brushing aside criticism that the party is becoming monopolised by political clans. 

“We are people who have ties to voters in our political bases and will continue the tasks of our parents. That would be our advantage when the election campaign is kick-started,” he said. 

If you are a brand-new young blood candidate you may win an election in Bangkok but voters in the provinces have totally different thinking and lifestyles, so understanding their values is vitally important, he said.

The announcement of the move to rebrand the party once nicknamed an “eel on skates” in an allusion to Banharn’s “slippery shrewdness” style of playing politics, came after the launch of the Future Forward Party of auto-parts billionaire Thanathorn Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit last month. The executive-turned-politician was seen by many as a young-blood new hope for Thai politics as he vowed to resurrect politics from its “lost decade” along with appealing to the youth vote.

To compete for a new generation of voters, the current Chart Thai Pattana leaders know they must be replaced by younger ones. Once the junta lifts its ban on political activities and allows existing parties to convene a meeting to appoint party executives, Varawut said he would have no hesitation in inheriting his father’s position.

“If the door is open and party members choose me as the party leader, I’m ready. If I am able to unite party members and move the party forward, I will accept the post,” said Varawut, adding that he would run as a constituency MP for Suphan Buri as in the past. 

In the last election, his party won 19 seats but he is expecting to win around 30 in the next election. 

Varawut argued that many things had changed since 2011, the year of the last election. 

There have been changes in what voters think and what they want from their government, along with a large increase in the number of young people eligible to vote and an unexpected accompanying enthusiasm for politics.

“Our party is practical. We will present or say only what we can really implement,” said Varawut. 

“We have seen many politicians who are good at talking but fail to carry it out.”

That approach is reflected in the party’s stance on whether it would support a non-elected MP, such as Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, to become prime minister after the next election. “I cannot give you the answer today if we would support Prayut as the next prime minister,” he said.

It depended on the situation, Varawut said, and it was still not clear if Prayut would accept a party’s offer to nominate him to be listed as a PM candidate. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30342765

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-04-09

15 minutes ago, webfact said:

Several of the young blood are also experienced former party MPs, including Paradon and Korawee Prissanananthakul, sons of former party executive Somsak, and Samerkun Thiengtham, son of former party executive Jongchai. 

There is also Siripong Angkasakulkiat, a second-generation business heir of the family behind the Sirimongkol Property company in Si Sa Ket. “And then there is me, of course,” said Varawut.

The paragraphs above exemplifies the fundamental weirdness and dichotomy of Asian politics; a story called "Keeping pace with the times" is chock full of "son of...".

Seen through Western eyes, this seems like a ridiculous contradiction if not an outright falsehood, but seen through Asian eyes it isn't (sorry for the generalization(s)...). I am of two minds regarding the phenomena of 'political families' in Asia (and to a lesser degree the West); I tend to see it something like nuclear power. Used one way, it is a clean, long-term supply of energy which doesn't contribute much to global warming; seen another way it is a destructive force capable of leveling cities. Overall, I can live with the political families as long as they don't abuse the practice; there is often great wisdom passed down over the dinner table and it would be a shame to see that wisdom lost.

A child of a Mechanic likely grows up and becomes a better Mechanic. A child of a Lawyer likely grows up and becomes a better Lawyer. Here's hoping that a child of a Politician grows up and becomes a better Politician...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Here's hoping that a child of a Politician grows up and becomes a better Politician...

It would be a good start if they just "grew up"... There in lies the problem with this country, be it mechanic, lawyer or politician !! They never grow up :)

8 hours ago, webfact said:

such as Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, to become prime minister after the next election. “I cannot give you the answer today if we would support Prayut as the next prime minister,”

But,

8 hours ago, webfact said:

To move the country forward, “new things” must be created

Obviously, Varawut is at best afraid and at worst dishonest about wanting to move the country forward. His party doesn't seem to add anything to advance a democratic society other than some new labels to bottles of leftover beer.

2 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Basically all of the parties that would be secondary or tertiary and bit part players in any coalition are keeping their powder dry for he time being.

What they really mean is they don't want to commit to a coalition formed to put Prayuth or a selected associate (Anutin) in power just yet until the see how the PTP are likely to do. This way they can negotiate which side gives them the more money and opportunities for corruption. That is the side they will go with.

The party that offers the most gets the "best and most loyal" parties to help in a coalition.

Now where is that sarcasm emoji when I need it.

9 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

The paragraphs above exemplifies the fundamental weirdness and dichotomy of Asian politics; a story called "Keeping pace with the times" is chock full of "son of...".

Seen through Western eyes, this seems like a ridiculous contradiction if not an outright falsehood, but seen through Asian eyes it isn't (sorry for the generalization(s)...). I am of two minds regarding the phenomena of 'political families' in Asia (and to a lesser degree the West); I tend to see it something like nuclear power. Used one way, it is a clean, long-term supply of energy which doesn't contribute much to global warming; seen another way it is a destructive force capable of leveling cities. Overall, I can live with the political families as long as they don't abuse the practice; there is often great wisdom passed down over the dinner table and it would be a shame to see that wisdom lost.

A child of a Mechanic likely grows up and becomes a better Mechanic. A child of a Lawyer likely grows up and becomes a better Lawyer. Here's hoping that a child of a Politician grows up and becomes a better Politician...

If you do careful and in depth research into the real names (many change them and not just by marriage) the background and family ancestors of many British politicians over the last century is very interesting. Much more family connections and families whose "business" is politics than people might imagine.

Problem is, just like many businesses founded in the industrial revolution found out, founder, first and possibly third generations may be just fine, then some kind of anomaly happens and it all goes tits' up. The latter generations just don't cut the mustard. 

I wonder if research in other European countries would reveal similar families who've made politics hereditary careers?

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

But,

Obviously, Varawut is at best afraid and at worst dishonest about wanting to move the country forward. His party doesn't seem to add anything to advance a democratic society other than some new labels to bottles of leftover beer.

It seems very strange that a political party can be dissolved for corruption and then simply re-establish itself with a new, even slightly modified, name.

Bit like the tradition of thieving being court and offering to give the money back, say sorry and all's well.

Doesn't look like any real change after what will be almost 5 years of "reforms". 

• Like 1