Trump warns missiles 'will be coming' in Syria

snoop1130

Trump warns missiles 'will be coming' in Syria

2018-04-11T111925Z_1_LYNXMPEE3A0V5_RTROPTP_4_USA-QATAR-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump welcomes the Emir of Qatar Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani (not pictured) at the White House in Washington D.C., U.S. April 10, 2018. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday warned Russia of a forthcoming response to suspected chemical attack in Syria, declaring that missiles "will be coming" and blasting Moscow for standing by Syrian President Bashar Assad.

"Russia vows to shoot down any and all missiles fired at Syria. Get ready Russia, because they will be coming, nice and new and 'smart!' You shouldn’t be partners with a Gas Killing Animal who kills his people and enjoys it!" Trump wrote in a post on Twitter.

(Reporting by Susan Heavey and Makini Brice)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-4-11
  • Sad 1

US President Donald Trump has tweeted that Russia should "get ready" for missiles to be fired into Syria, in response to an alleged chemical attack at the weekend.

Senior Russian figures had threatened to meet any US strikes with a response.

Mr Trump had promised a "forceful" reply to the suspected attack.

President Bashar al-Assad's government, which receives military backing from Russia, denies being behind any chemical attack.

In his tweet, Mr Trump called Mr Assad a "gas killing animal".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43727829

• Like 1

And Democrats speculatung about why trump cancelled his South America trip. Jeez.... Unbelievable. Better sit back and watch while the big boys doing their business. Important things first.

Sent from a so called Smartphone using an App.

• Sad 1

A big firework show or just a few damp squibs???

Noun. damp squib (plural damp squibs) (Britain) A firework that fails to go off, due to wetting. (idiomatic, by extension) Anything that doesn't work properly, or fails to come up to expectations. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/damp_squib

Edited by Basil B

1 hour ago, Andaman Al said:

Taunting another military superpower like this is not only disgraceful to the office of the Commander in Chief it is crass, ridiculous and unprofessional. For this one tweet alone Trump shows how utterly unhinged he is and how quickly he needs to be removed from office. He has now endangered the lives of the servicemen and women out in the region, he has alienated ALL his allies , as NO other world leader will condone what/how he has communicated.

It is totally shameful that he is in command of the military and I am quite sure right now that every General, officer and enlisted man absolutely despises him for making them look so unprofessional and clownish.

Putin will be in hospital having broken ribs treated he will be laughing so much.

He treats this like a huge joke and many people will die and if it kicks off, many sons nd daughters of America could die. If the military were going to strike then they should just have done so, instead of this "watch out Russia get ready we are sending lots of missiles", as someone that did a career in the military the more I read what he has said the more unbelievable I find it.

I agree with most of your post, particularly the parts referring to Trump's character and conduct.

That said, overdoing it on one point, and mistaken (IMO) on another:

(a) "...he has alienated ALL his allies , as NO other world leader will condone what/how he has communicated." - so far seems he does have the support of the UK and France and Saudi Arabia. Countries and heads of state which aren't Trump do not necessarily reach decision based on personal issues and preferences.

(b) "Putin will be in hospital having broken ribs treated he will be laughing so much." - Putin is not an idiot, hence he'd pay attention, and do his (considerable) best to achieve the most out of the situation without going too far and with Trump seen having been outplayed.

Edited by Morch
  • Like 1

What happened is that he knows his supporters don't remember what he said five minutes ago and arguably he doesn't either. Whatever he says NOW -- MAGA. The opposite tomorrow? MAGA.
Yep it's like the WWE and he is Vince McMahon.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

Agreed, with a caveat:  The UK, France and Saudi were supportive of action, but that was before Trump's early morning cluster-twitter. Morch you are an intelligent soul, you know that no right minded leader will agree with Trump taunting a military super power in the manner of a 9 year old in the school playground.

Re Putin, I concede, I was being flippant.

I hope the fleet have a damn good idea where those Russian Subs are. I REALLY don't want to see any young American men and women killed and mourning parents over early morning unhinged tweets from a man who has no idea what he is doing. I imagine him and the other draft dodger Bolton were up all night doing a good impersonation of General Hague. Funny how two draft dodgers can be so set about starting war. Bolton is the worst. If they had both worn uniform and served their time there would currently be a lot more restraint and measured discourse.

What is the saying 'walk quietly and carry a big stick' - not "scream your head off like a rabid Hyena and hit anyone in range with your stick".

Whatever Assad has done, revenge is a dish best served cold, and while the dish is cooling it gives time to PLAN how to minimise civilian casualties and how to minimise the chance of escalation. The aim should be to severely punish Assad NOT kill American sons and daughters for political smarty points and to keep all eyes off Mueller.

I don't expect any of these countries to withdraw their support, even after Trump's inane tweets. By now, they all know who they are dealing with. Diplomacy and politics are often about the art of holding one's nose and carrying on. And this is hardly new - he did the same with Kim, Iran, domestic political rivals and critics. Would have been more of a surprise had he refrained. And given all that, plus Putin being good at it - I wouldn't discount Trump being trolled into making these statements (not offered as defense, it's still a choice). By the way, I doubt Putin does not, on a personal level, detests some of the leaders he's allied with as well.

Having had the opportunity to serve revenge of both verities, I tend to be skeptical of the saying. But maybe a personal preference back when. The issue with delays is that the public's attention span, and Western leaders' terms in office are rather short. As for planning - that's something you ought to know is a none-issue. Plans for most scenarios are made well in advance. Execution of plans, and how the other side reacts, are different matters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

And definitely not because Trump has a serious impulse control problem.

Could be. He might also be giving Putin a chance to clear out any of his troops. But that doesn't seem likely to me.  I think he'd rather spike the football on Twitter than telegraph the play.

33 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I think it is intended to stir activity so a target can be identified. I think that's why the delay.

What makes you imagine targets have not already been identified? Long ago, at that.

6 minutes ago, Morch said:

High profile persons considered a target are often tracked, to this or that extent. Troop movements certainly are. The notion that Trump's tweet was in any way a play to assist US intelligence services in such a manner is preposterous.

I really don't think there is any way you or I would know what the intention is. I am merely speculating, same as you.

3 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I really don't think there is any way you or I would know what the intention is. I am merely speculating, same as you.

Yeah, well - I'm not pretending to know what the intention is, I'm saying what it isn't. You're the one speculating. Once more, If you believe Trump's tweet had anything to do with intelligence work on the level, that's totally up to you. Doubt many will buy into such nonsense.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Morch said:

Yeah, well - I'm not pretending to know what the intention is, I'm saying what it isn't. You're the one speculating. Once more, If you believe Trump's tweet had anything to do with intelligence work on the level, that's totally up to you. Doubt many will buy into such nonsense.

I'm not asking anyone to buy into it. I'm not that needy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, juice777 said:

There can surely be no doubt now that Trump is Mad anyone who says he is not is a liar and don't want to admit they were wrong before.

" Russia vows to shoot down any and all missiles fired at Syria. Get ready Russia, because they will be coming, nice and new and “smart!” You shouldn’t be partners with a Gas Killing Animal who kills his people and enjoys it!"

How can a world leader talk like that it's so scary.

It's not that difficult to understand. Trump is the bad and good cop in one person. See how that works with NK and China. Don't worry. It's all good.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, juice777 said:

What will happen in Thailand if there is a war?

I am surrounded by Russians in Jomtien and they are already a bit rude

I can see lots of trouble happing.

You bring up something that I wish there was a dedicated thread about (but it would be too "political" for a member to open). A number of credible commentators, Russian and American and others, have already stated where we're at now is as bad as or even worse than the Cold War period, and that an actual more hot war that isn't as much a proxy struggle is a real possibility now. 

Many of us do live in Thailand. Lots of Russians and plenty of westerners too. 

It's hard to imagine that such a conflict wouldn't bleed into life here to some degree. 

Edited by Jingthing