Thoughts on why to tourists aim for the eyes and ears with high powered PVC water guns

joeyg

There was a 6 year old kid yesterday with a small water gun outside the area I am staying in BKK  , but he seemed more interested in speaking one word of English .

He said hello ! I said hello back , Hello , I said hello back , and then we kept the conversation going , he was not interested in pointing his water gun at me so I escaped still dry LOL 

• Like 1

I been out a couple of days now going to shopping centers and Makro and the likes and i saw no water throwing.. I though I might have a dry Songkran but i passed few people who stood on the kerb throwing water (but not in a dangerous way) at passing motorbikes and cars, people need to slow down there so its not dangerous.. i got hit by a bit of water.

My conclusion here in the neighborhood this year less water fights as before. 

21 hours ago, markaoffy said:

Do a good deed for Songkran “Smash a water gun “

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

it's just the big blue PVC guns that can do harm.  They are illegal and have been for a while hard to enforce I guess.  There were police pickups filled with them last year.

On 4/15/2018 at 5:54 AM, jacko45k said:

It is amazing that these pathetic childish bully types use the festival to fulfull their malicious desires. They get drunk and it all gets more and more out of control. I can only hope your friend meets up with someone feeling grumpy enough to knock him out cold and break his toys into many pieces.

I stay out of town for Songkran,

I'm down in Lan Mae Phim now just south of Klang. Not one high powered PVC gun and no face or head shots. Walked down the main drag for 2 hours and then back. I was the only WHITE guy to be seen. Everybody was having fun sharing food and drink. of course lots of clay and water. It was 180 degrees different than Pattaya. Really. A fun and relaxed time.  Ther was not one malicious move made out of thousands of people.  It's the same way in the villages.  I'm guessing you've only seen Songran in Pattaya.  Even Onut and Bearing.  Of course there was not one white guy here besides me in the Mae Phim celebrations.  farangs have ruined Songran and Thailand.  To bad really

• Like 1

12 hours ago, joeyg said:

I'm down in Lan Mae Phim now just south of Klang. Not one high powered PVC gun and no face or head shots. Walked down the main drag for 2 hours and then back. I was the only WHITE guy to be seen. Everybody was having fun sharing food and drink. of course lots of clay and water. It was 180 degrees different than Pattaya. Really. A fun and relaxed time.  Ther was not one malicious move made out of thousands of people.  It's the same way in the villages.  I'm guessing you've only seen Songran in Pattaya.  Even Onut and Bearing.  Of course there was not one white guy here besides me in the Mae Phim celebrations.  farangs have ruined Songran and Thailand.  To bad really

Travelling in Samui some years ago, THAIS standing on the side of the road BETWEEN the towns throwing water into passing songtheaws. No farangs at all with them.

Just yesterday evening, on the road between Soi Nerm Plubwan and Soi Klongtum in Pattaya, I encountered a guy at a carbody repair shop who was using a high pressure water cleaner to play songkran.

Luckily I was with the truck, but plenty of bikes on that road.

• Sad 1

On 4/15/2018 at 6:08 PM, robblok said:

I been out a couple of days now going to shopping centers and Makro and the likes and i saw no water throwing.. I though I might have a dry Songkran but i passed few people who stood on the kerb throwing water (but not in a dangerous way) at passing motorbikes and cars, people need to slow down there so its not dangerous.. i got hit by a bit of water.

Could be the same in Pattaya. I managed a 5km trip to Big C Extra along 3rd Road at 3 pm and didn't see a single drop of water. I got wet on the return trip though - it rained LOL. 

On 4/15/2018 at 6:08 PM, robblok said:

you DO realize that motorcyclists slowing down is an even easier target do you ?

they are trying to avoid being attacked, and speed up as a natural defense.

its the people throwing water on motorcyclists that need to stop,

leave the motorcyclists alone, in fact, leave everyone alone that does not give consent. or would you argue woman should not resist rape, or try to run away, as it could be harmful to them and others ?

22 minutes ago, poanoi said:

you DO realize that motorcyclists slowing down is an even easier target do you ?

leave the motorcyclists alone, in fact, leave everyone alone that does not give consent. or would you argue woman should not resist rape, or try to run away, as it could be harmful to them and others ?

with there i meant that cars and bikes had to slow down at that point because of the way the road was made. They had to slow down there to make a U turn. I did not mean to say that motorcycles should stop to get sprayed on. I was only explaining that it was NOT a dangerous situation there. I was one of the motorcycle drivers that got hit but because you could only go 10-15km hour there it was not really dangerous. 

Anyway I agree with you that they should leave people who drive motorcycle alone. 

1 hour ago, poanoi said:

I agree, but I would rather be pragmatic and wet than right and dead. So I would slow down. 

14 hours ago, poanoi said:

No just my experience.  My buddies wife from Yasothan used to carry a stick to beat Indians that were trying to molester here here in Samut Prakokn Bangkok.  Plus your article describes " arrest-of-molester"  That's one.  Wishful thinking., LOL!!!  While traveling in India/West Bengal My girlfriend always carried a stick to beat groping Bengalis.  I carried a chain and bike lock.  Once we would start laying a good beating on them the cops would show up.  I'd give them a couple thousand Rupees to finish the job.  Don't get out much huh?  There is life "getting out from under the rock."

13 hours ago, tropo said:

Could be the same in Pattaya. I managed a 5km trip to Big C Extra along 3rd Road at 3 pm and didn't see a single drop of water. I got wet on the return trip though - it rained LOL. 

I've noticed the same thing you observered this year.  it seems more localized to the Farang scumbag bars.  Today and tomorrow Will pretty much be a free-for-all if history repeats itself...

On 14/04/2018 at 12:15 PM, connda said:

Why is it that you believe that this type of moronic activity is limited to tourists?

Because when I was walking down Soi bintabaht it was ony western tourists aiming at my eyes,

the Thai girls and men chucked small bowls of water over me,  

The Western tourists seem to get carried away with all the excitement and alcohol.  The men start acting really stupid... quite aggressive... and seem to get some pleasure with trying to use the high power water guns to get water into peoples eyes / face.  

The Thai people usually just throw water over you... or just the guns to squirt your back or areas below the head.  

I have had Western tourists even fire the water through my motor bike helmet visor!!!  They have good aims.. but its really annoying and stupid.. and after a few shots like that I start to get angry.