Ants on the floor

THAIPHUKET

Had an ant issue back in Europe in my home. Used the local chemicals and deterrents, quite effective. But then I took some large red chillies....spred them near the place from where the ants were getting out and in the corners all over. No more issues since, either with ants or any other crawling companions !!!

This was 3 years ago, to this day the chillies are still around, dried...no need to be replaced....and no ants.....hope it works for you also.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Alternatively, you could introduce them to my ex-wife's cooking, they wouldn't last the week.

Out of curiosity, how long were you married to her? Congratulations on your survival.

20 hours ago, THAIPHUKET said:

The flamethrower looks very impressive. But we are not yet there. Your comments are dissecting the problem well=
No street and only here and there a few ants. Obviously searching for food. Not much here I guess.
I wanted to squash any potential problem at the root.

Just stamp on them then.

48 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:
Content - 1-naphthyl methylcarbamate
S-85 is very effective with ants quite safe and not an irritant like Chaindrite Stedfast for example. Can be added to liquid or directly on nest.

s-85.JPG.2f50e72fc85fd6b476102b4d09eb29e6.JPG

Perhaps not an irritant but it can be lethal, quite safe my foot! 

I have a soft spot for ants - they seem so industrious, determined, resourceful and efficient. I remember reading, years ago, that they are the only species other than humans that go to war against their own kind.

In my quest to limit my impact upon them, I would find where they were entering the property and cordon off the entry point with a line of cinnamon powder or coffee granules - they won't cross either. 

I brought Antrid specially from Australia. I thought it would blow there little Thai ant butts off the planet. Left it for 3 days and they shown little interest in it at all. Australian ants go crazy for it.  

Antrid is basically poison sugar syrup and I have heard Australian house ants referred to as "sugar ants". 

So the Thai ants must be a different species or something. I have noticed they are attracted to crumbs and love to play in my loaves of bread. They also had an odd attraction to a packet of glad wrap for weeks.

Not a very useful comment but I find it interesting and would love to know a better way of killing them. Maybe poisoned bread?

I brought Antrid specially from Australia. I thought it would blow there little Thai ant butts off the planet. Left it for 3 days and they shown little interest in it at all. Australian ants go crazy for it.  

Antrid is basically poison sugar syrup and I have heard Australian house ants referred to as "sugar ants". 

So the Thai ants must be a different species or something. I have noticed they are attracted to crumbs and love to play in my loaves of bread. They also had an odd attraction to a packet of glad wrap for weeks.

Not a very useful comment but I find it interesting and would love to know a better way of killing them. Maybe poisoned bread?

Just don't mistakenly eat the bread.

Seem like you have become an ant-ologist.

Late to this thread. Borax is difficult to obtain in Thailand, vegetable sellers were using it to keep insects off their wares. so its use was suppressed.  I spent a day trying to find some and was told to go to Korat  (2 1/2 hours away).

By chance I then came upon a Chaindrite product which contains permethrin, often used against mosquitoes and ticks, in powder form. Orange packet, ฿140.- and relatively harmless.

I just scatter a little wherever I see ants in a place where I don't want them to be, they take it with them somewhere and don't come back. Gone in 10 minutes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin

ants.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/04/2018 at 6:06 AM, PETERTHEEATER said:

Another convenient product is BAYER Quantum available in Home Pro stores.

Comes in a small plastic tube in two strengths, one for ants the other for cockroaches. About ThB 270 may seem expensive but you need very small amounts as explained below.

Contains  IMIDACLOPRID

Where you see ants trailing, squeeze a drop the size of a match head in their path and smear it into a small circle and they will soon cluster around the perimeter to feed. When the drop is cleared they will have returned to the nest and given up tasters to the Queen and mates and all are eventually poisoned.

I tried many 'fixes' including borax but the had limited effectiveness. The Bayer however has worked for me and both our kitchens are clear of ants.

It may take a few days but is convenient since you can target specific points to avoid contact with pets or children.

Thanks for your recommendation of this product, I bought some last week along with some sachets of the crystal type stuff that they also like, at the moment I have 3 or 4 drops out on the tiled drive and the little buggers are going mad for it :thumbsup: These are only the small ants, which rather like the Cockroach problem I had when I moved in here I am determined to eradicate.

I also have a problem with large Red ants, they seem to live in or near a Papaya tree in next doors garden and don't seem to be interested in Bayer Quantum or the crystal stuff I have put down for them, one managed to find it's way into the car yesterday which I really do not want, so if anyone can recommend a way of dealing with these little gits will be gratefully received.  

• Like 1

Thanks for your recommendation of this product, I bought some last week along with some sachets of the crystal type stuff that they also like, at the moment I have 3 or 4 drops out on the tiled drive and the little buggers are going mad for it [emoji106] These are only the small ants, which rather like the Cockroach problem I had when I moved in here I am determined to eradicate.  

I also have a problem with large Red ants, they seem to live in or near a Papaya tree in next doors garden and don't seem to be interested in Bayer Quantum or the crystal stuff I have put down for them, one managed to find it's way into the car yesterday which I really do not want, so if anyone can recommend a way of dealing with these little gits will be gratefully received.  

If you get ants in your car, park the car away from the entry point. This will confuse the ants in there, as they can't find the way back to the nest and will perish. 

• Like 1