Trump: 'mission accomplished' on 'perfectly executed' Syria strike

rooster59

Trump: 'mission accomplished' on 'perfectly executed' Syria strike

800x800.jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump makes a statement about Syria at the White House in Washington, U.S., April 13, 2018. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Twitter praised Western air strikes against the Syrian government on Saturday as "perfectly executed", and added "Mission Accomplished".

"A perfectly executed strike last night. Thank you to France and the United Kingdom for their wisdom and the power of their fine Military. Could not have had a better result. Mission Accomplished!" Trump said in a Twitter post.

Trump's message echoed the words of a banner that hung behind former President George W. Bush when he gave a speech in 2003 from the USS Abraham Lincoln, during the Iraq War.

That visual dogged Bush's presidency as the war dragged out, with worsening American casualties, for the remainder of his two terms in office.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-04-14
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Once Flint in Michigan has drinkable tap water, those 48 millions presently on food stamps are sent working and earn enough to do without food stamps and once every eleventh citizens of yours can find China on the world map - then you‘ve accomplished something which Europe achieved decades ago - before that you just made your „defense“ industry richer and the Goldsteins, Rosenblatts, Rothschilds, Zuckerhuts and Bushs - all non-Arabs if you have not figured that one out - have been pleased again. Pathetic to say the least! 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, cheapcanuck said:

After giving Russia 48 hour notice of the attack. 

Smartest thing he did.  Imagine they had bombed a building where a bunch of Russkies just happened to be doing some training, or inspections of some kind.  And no way for anyone to complain about civilian casualties.

Plus, it's like those movies where one guy tells another "In 5 seconds I'm going to smack you and there isn't a damn thing you can do to stop me."  Then he smacks the other guy.   Sends a strong message to everyone watching.  Not just the guy who just got smacked.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Thanks for the history lesson. 

So what does it have to do with this. If it was well executed and did what they wanted to do why go on about what Bush did? 

Bush was talking ended. Trump appears to be talking about one air strike that was done well big difference in context I would  say.

I agree. I am surprised that the World War II declarations of the same, were not resurrected for comparison in order to discredit the accomplishment of this particular mission.

I suspect that many of the TVF "experts" never served in any form of public service, nor participated in anything more critical than ordering a pizza on-line.

• Like 1

i hope sure usa use hydrogenbomb to all syrian, then can say proplem solved, no newer again have proplem, same israel need uses to gaza area, then world have better and less proplem anywere. hope make big good solved fats, The Trump have best what usa have all usa history, i looking many,all european and noth europe country need too mini trump to presidents too,then this today crazy live can end and make all good and better fast.

Edited by finnishmen
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, finnishmen said:

i hope sure usa use hydrogenbomb to all syrian, then can say proplem solved, no newer again have proplem, same israel need uses to gaza area, then world have better and less proplem anywere. hope make big good solved fats, The Trump have best what usa have all usa history, i looking many,all european and noth europe country need too mini trump to presidents too,then this today crazy live can end and make all good and better fast.

Hmm.

A failed attempt at Swiftian satire ... or what? :stoner:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, impulse said:

He could have chosen different words, perhaps "Great Job", or anything but "Mission Accomplished" which carries so much negative connotation that it's used in sarcasm more often than in a genuine congratulatory context. 

"Mission Accomplished" rates right up there with "Read my lips, no new taxes", and "Peace for our time".  Only an idiot would choose those expressions.

Ah.... 

i was wondering why there was an issue with the phrase, given my thinking mirrored Lovelomsaks.... not being American, I didn’t get that

?

1 hour ago, BuriramSam said:

Hilarious thread. Not much if any talk sbout the success of the mission. I suppose whining about George W. Bush is supposed to be a good substitute. 

Well, how do you define success? Is it how the US military defined the mission? Destroying those facilities? In that case, it was a success. Is it going to have any effect on the progress of the civil war? In ohter words, did it really matter?  The Syrians had plenty of time to move whatever resources were movable to Russian bases where they were protected. Will the Russians and/or the Iranians, the chief backers of the Assad regime modify their support in any way because of this attack. Doesn't seem so. 

• Like 2

Here is a follow-up, aftermath report from Bloomberg on Saturday:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-14/warship-ruse-and-new-stealth-missiles-how-they-attacked-syria

Pentagon officials on Saturday said they faced little resistance to their targeted attack on what they said were three Syrian chemical weapons facilities. Most of the Syrian countermeasures, including defensive ballistic missiles, were fired after U.S. and allied weapons hit their targets, Lieutenant General Kenneth McKenzie told reporters on Saturday. “No Syrian weapon had any effect on anything we did,” McKenzie said.

As the president addressed the nation at 9 p.m. Washington time, on Friday, a barrage of 105 U.S., U.K. and French missiles converged on Syria. They came from the Red Sea, the Arabian Gulf and the Mediterranean, homing in from three directions to overwhelm whatever missile defenses Assad’s regime might deploy. Russia’s more advanced air defense system didn’t engage the allied weapons.

According to the Pentagon, the allied weaponry included 19 new “Extended-Range” stealthy Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Attack Munitions launched by two B-1B bombers based out of Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar, and six Tomahawk cruise missiles launched from the Virginia-class USS John Warner submarine.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

Yes, another well-coordinated job accomplished by Trump and his British & French partners. 

Accepting the limited Syrian engagement as a success, what other actions by 45 and his Brit and French partners are you referring to to constitute "another"?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Well, how do you define success? Is it how the US military defined the mission? Destroying those facilities? In that case, it was a success. Is it going to have any effect on the progress of the civil war? In ohter words, did it really matter?  The Syrians had plenty of time to move whatever resources were movable to Russian bases where they were protected. Will the Russians and/or the Iranians, the chief backers of the Assad regime modify their support in any way because of this attack. Doesn't seem so. 

Someone has some reading rather than ranting to do.