British lawmakers, celebrities call for 'people's vote' on Brexit

webfact

British lawmakers, celebrities call for 'people's vote' on Brexit

2018-04-15T190134Z_1_LYNXMPEE3E0QU_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

A pedestrian shields himself with a British union flag umbrella as he passes a billboard with a Brexit related campaign slogan in Leicester Square, London, Britain, March 29, 2018. REUTERS/Toby Melville

LONDON (Reuters) - Lawmakers, celebrities and business leaders launched a campaign on Sunday to call for a vote on any final Brexit deal, stepping up a campaign to try to stop what they describe as Britain's damaging departure from the European Union.

At a launch in north London, lawmakers from both the governing Conservative Party and opposition Labour joined with hundreds of others to press for what they described as a "people's vote" on Brexit.

Both Prime Minister Theresa May's Conservatives and the main opposition Labour Party have ruled out a second referendum after Britons voted 52-48 percent to leave the bloc almost two years ago, and the country is due to leave the EU in March next year.

Actor Patrick Stewart, a supporter of the People's Vote campaign, said campaigners were not asking for a second referendum, but rather wanted "another chance to consider what the terms of this divorce are going to be".

"As time has gone by ... the information that we are receiving about the terms and conditions of that separation are quite unlike the terms and conditions that were spoken of so loosely during the 2016 campaign," he told the BBC.

Some opinion polls have shown a slight shift in favour of remaining in the European Union, but there has yet to be a decisive change in attitudes and many in Britain say they have become increasingly bored by Brexit.

May has repeatedly said she will deliver what she calls the will of the people and on Sunday Foreign Minister Boris Johnson voiced optimism for the kind of deal Britain could win.

"People had a vote, it was a great vote, and they voted with a substantial majority to leave the EU," he told the BBC.

He went on to directly answer Stewart, who he mistakenly suggested had worked on Star Wars. Stewart had a role in "Star Trek: The Next Generation".

"(We) will be able to boldly go again to areas that perhaps we have neglected ... friendly wonderful places where we can renew old friendships, rebuild relationships and develop fantastic new free trade deals."

(Reporting by Elizabeth Piper; Editing by Matthew Mpoke Bigg)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-04-16
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Oh well..the pretentious luvvys are at it again..just wonder if any of them have "neighbours from hell".
The ones involved in organised crime..eg.
Child prostutution..people trafficking..drugs etc etc.
Pity the eu luvvys would never dream of living in an area like Govanhill in Glasgow.
They like to talk the talk..not walk the walk

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What's wrong with Glaswegians? I have no problem with the Scots or any of our European friends.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Nostridamus2018 said:

How condescending of you to talk about the 'flat cap Brexit North'!  A derogatory comment if I ever heard one.

The Leave Camp accepted that there would continue to be a requirement for an inflow of suitably qualified people and I think that to believe we would stop all immigrants was never contemplated albeit some element of society might have wished for that outcome.  Day 1 of effects of Brexit will only be on 30 March 2019 and not before.   If I remember correctly the slogan on the side of the Bus stated 350 million more for the NHS.   It did not include the word 'now'.   How could we fund the NHS to that extent when we had not left the EU and still had the obligation to pay our subscription.

Your comment that you have not seen any material benefit in the 2 years since the vote demonstrates you have no idea of what you are talking about as we do not leave until 29 March 2019.

If the cap fits. So the magic will instantly appear on the 29th of march haha then now who has no idea and as for the NHS contributions has this been put back 2030 or longer after your forgotten divorce bill of a much talked about 50 - 70 billion euros plus the 7 quarters budget payments we have to make after the 29th of March. 

4 hours ago, yogi100 said:

The lawyer makers and 'celebrities' don't have to live alongside foreign riff raff

And who do you consider to be "foreign riff raff" pray? 

What have lawyer makers done to harm you? I think you meant cheesmakers?

No, it's time intellectuals spoke up. I for one are tired of listening to British riff raff.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Obviously not all neighbours from hell are eu immigrants..but in Glasgow the crime rate is ..up.up.up.
I point out to you that I keep in touch with friends who live in Glasgow where I lived until almost 4 years ago.
Some of them are retired Police Officers..some of their kids are serving Police Officers..and the stories they tell me..enough said.
Also..IMO..Nigel Farange is a PATRIOT along with Sir William Cash.The late Enoch Powell and the late Tony Wedgewood Benn saw right through the fraudulent corrupt brussels shambles.
Britain should only accept migrants who will enhance the country.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Agreed, Europeans!

• Like 1