British man beats  wife to death in Ubon Ratchathani

Jonathan Fairfield

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Did you expect him to confess.... come one nobody Thai / farang confesses without looking for an excuse. 

i didn't expect anything just saying what he said and i don't think it sounds completely impossible. had he thought he had killed her i am sure he would moved the body and not put a blanket over her and left her in front of the house.

1 minute ago, KKr said:

my irony got missed, I was referring to the "I was drunk so it was not my fault" type argument from that other paper.

And I hope he gets the worst ever lawyer in the country.

oh i see. the strange thing here though is that being drunk or on drugs does seem to get some people lesser sentences as some kind of diminished responsibility. which of course it shouldn't

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, robblok said:

I wonder how many will attribute this to the fragile farang ego and how many will comment on kicking someone who is down. I mean those are the things I read about when a Thai does something. Now that a foreigner does it... wonder how the comments will be.

I hope this guy rots in jail for what he has done.

Farangs are not immune to outrageous ,idiotic,crimalistic behavior.It just is that in the western, more modern world through a sence of family love and the teachings of right and wrong they lean more to tolerance and understanding then the people of LOS whom have rarely been exposed to these teachings. and yes,we have those kind of people also.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, atyclb said:

wonder if the husband has a substance abuse problem?  alcohol and or drugs?

a very high % of domestic violence is related to alcohol / drugs

We don't know, so that is very speculative; however, even if it were so, it should not be accepted in mitigation as a form of diminished responsibility, nor should it be the vehicle to provide a more lenient sentence for the barbaric act of beating a woman to death, before going to sleep and leaving her dead body to be found by someone else ……. heinous doesn't even start to cover it

17 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

Well this will bring out the usual brit bashers, saying that this ba..stard deserves the worst Thailand can throw at him and more, Scum!

Perhaps it will bring out comments from people opposed to a man kicking a woman, his wife, to death no matter if British, French, African, or Asian. 

I wish the woman Rest In Peace perhaps the next life will be better for her. 

2 minutes ago, AsiaHand said:

Farangs are not immune to outrageous ,idiotic,crimalistic behavior.It just is that in the western, more modern world through a sence of family love and the teachings of right and wrong they lean more to tolerance and understanding then the people of LOS whom have rarely been exposed to these teachings. and yes,we have those kind of people also.

Very thought provoking post...

5 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

i didn't expect anything just saying what he said and i don't think it sounds completely impossible. had he thought he had killed her i am sure he would moved the body and not put a blanket over her and left her in front of the house.

Your assuming a killer thinks clearly of hiding a body after the fact. That might be the case if it was pre planned but guys like him who do it in the heat of the moment don't think that clear. Anyway does not really matter what he thinks.. its the result that counts. They should check if the guy was known to be violent after a drink, then they could add that to his punishment that he knowingly drank and by doing so took the risk of what happend now. I have no pity at all for this guy. Killing someone with your bare hands takes a special kind of crazy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AsiaHand said:

sence of family love and the teachings of right and wrong they lean more to tolerance and understanding

in a world where family bonds and social control are disintegrating in view of high mobility and very high divorce rates.
and Beliefs that enforce the understanding of right and wrong are increasingly being ignored .. ..
Sure.

• Like 1

Guys, I think there is no need for any xenophobia when it comes to scum like this. I am British and I still think this dude should be released from his burden on society.

There is no excuse under the sun for any action like this its just wrong any where in the world and should be dealt with likewise put them down. all trash and all scum.

11 minutes ago, starky said:

Life isn't too short it is literally the longest thing any person will ever do. If you waste it or look back with regret I guess it may seem short.

Yes,very well said.

Let us just say that "short" or "long" are exceedingly flexible concepts.

A very sad event.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, starky said:

Life isn't too short it is literally the longest thing any person will ever do. If you waste it or look back with regret I guess it may seem short.

Do you want to tell that to a terminally ill child?  

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Your assuming a killer thinks clearly of hiding a body after the fact. That might be the case if it was pre planned but guys like him who do it in the heat of the moment don't think that clear. Anyway does not really matter what he thinks.. its the result that counts. They should check if the guy was known to be violent after a drink, then they could add that to his punishment that he knowingly drank and by doing so took the risk of what happend now. I have no pity at all for this guy. Killing someone with your bare hands takes a special kind of crazy. 

i have no pity for him and i'm not assuming anything just saying that it could be how he said it happened

16 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

Smitham reportedly admitted the attack, telling police he pushed his wife to the ground, before stamping on her twice and strangling her.

That sounds like he wanted to kill her. 

1 minute ago, jenny2017 said:

Smitham reportedly admitted the attack, telling police he pushed his wife to the ground, before stamping on her twice and strangling her.

That sounds like he wanted to kill her. 

maybe he did and maybe he was so pissed he didn't know what he was doing and thought she was still alive. either way he did it so will for down for it whatever it sounds like

• Like 1

The murder occurred on Sunday evening,  and wasn't reported to police until Monday morning.   By 3.00pm same day, on-line tabloids had already provided a blow-by-blow confession from hubby about the couple's marital problems and how he killed her.   Those sordid details must have come from the BIB.    

Life imitates art in the daily Thai village soap opera..   I suppose the police and the press are just keeping the customer satisfied, but with scant respect for those individuals who may be hurting.     The only thing missing from the news report was a picture of Mr Smitham pointing a finger at himself.

18 hours ago, Just Weird said:

agree 100% with your first paragraph...and there will likely be more posters complaining as to why his nationality was mentioned!

Why not, the Brits do it again, number one trouble makers here in Asia, look at the stats. Hang him now.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

His short moment of a jealous rage.  such a waste of life hers has gone, and now he should suffer his life is finished in prison even worst he has to coupe with what he's done .  

Not mentioning the kids now. I've got absolutely no sympathy for the brutal killer/. Who cares what he's to cope with? 

Edited by jenny2017

1 minute ago, Happy enough said:

i'd like to see those stats. can you post them please

Google it like I have, very well known, they also mention other countries of criminals here that comit crimes. Stats in Asia for long term lock ups is Brits No.1 Aussies no.2

Last week a Thai man shot his wife and father-in-law dead for the same reason. 

I know what these Songkran family reunions are like.  Seeing family and friends you haven't seen since last year and drinking a lot, as well as sleeping in rooms in village houses that are not sound proofed with people sleeping all over the floor in the living room and queues for the bathroom.  It is not surprising she might not feel like sex, although who knows what her reason was?  She is not in a position to tell her side of the story.   

The guy didn't just shove her in a moment of anger.  He knocked her down and then strangled her to make sure she was dead.  He gave no mercy and deserves none but how sad for their children.