Bank Book machine magnetic error EVERY time!

punchandjudy

Has anyone else had this issue:

Each and every time I go to update my bank book at the bank, I try first on the Bank Book Update machine... and every single time I get the "Magnetic Strip error" message.

The corner of the page always comes out creased and folded for some reason too.

I am fairly sure I am capable of inserting the bank book into the machine properly, so I am not too sure what keeps going wrong.

When I tell the staff they update it for me in branch. I ask them why this keeps happening and they just tell me to insert at the last page of entry which I already know.

Any ideas folks?

• Like 1

I've had this same problem for more than a year.

Not a problem with creasing the page, but I get the 'magnetic strip error' every time.

I know it's not my book at fault, as in our family we have four accounts, within the same bank, but two different branches of SCB.

I've tried all four books and see the same error for each book.

The bank tried to say the magnetic strip on my book was damaged - but never on four different books, for four different accounts. I pointed that out to them, which only resulted in some shoulder-shrugging, even when I asked if the machine could be checked.

I also phoned the SCB call centre, told them the above. The call centre staff said they would report the matter directly and get an engineer to check the machine.

Needless to say, it's still the same a year later.

I haven't seen another branch nearby with a bank book update machine. I could try harder to find one I suppose, but from your comment it could be a common error that no one wants to look into.

Annoying isn't it? One particular branch of BKK Bank has a similar issue with the passbook machine, I go there occasionally to see if it's been fixed. I guess you already know the answer ...

I've even tried the "dumb farang" approach and asked one of the staff to "show me how it works", she got the same error but still it's not fixed.

Such is life, there are plenty of other branches.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Annoying isn't it? One particular branch of BKK Bank has a similar issue with the passbook machine, I go there occasionally to see if it's been fixed. I guess you already know the answer ...

I've even tried the "dumb farang" approach and asked one of the staff to "show me how it works", she got the same error but still it's not fixed.

Such is life, there are plenty of other branches.

Yes, true.

I think I'll make an effort to search out another update machine to see what happens. I just hope it's not going to be like pushing string uphill...

Watch this space.

I guess if you don't have online banking you are stuck updating your pass book

I think the only time I ever updated my passbook was when they did it for a new ATM card

As far as I was concerned the passbook was just a means to show the bank I had an account with them 

• Like 2

This reminds me of a long time ago when software was distributed on floppy disk...a work friend asked for a copy of a program and I took about 4 copies to him over about a week, each time he said there was nothing on the disk...I was rude and we had an argument..then a work colleague asked if I had let the disks get anywhere near a magnet...well I thought about it and low and behold..every time I had made a copy I put it on top of a speaker just near the door so I didn't forget it before going to work...wow did I feel foolish.

27 minutes ago, johng said:

This reminds me of a long time ago when software was distributed on floppy disk...a work friend asked for a copy of a program and I took about 4 copies to him over about a week, each time he said there was nothing on the disk...I was rude and we had an argument..then a work colleague asked if I had let the disks get anywhere near a magnet...well I thought about it and low and behold..every time I had made a copy I put it on top of a speaker just near the door so I didn't forget it before going to work...wow did I feel foolish.

I take your point, but out of four books, only two of them are keep in the same place - not near any metalwork at all.

This has been an issue ever since they introduced the bankbook update machines. We use both KTB and Kasikorn and sometimes a book will update and sometimes not. One book might update in one machine but not in another while another book won't update in any machine.

I've given up trying to get to the bottom of it and just hand the books over to one of the "greeting clerks" who most of the time will update the book without having to queue up.

FWIW I suspect the problem is that the magnetic strips are very sensitive and not very well made. 

Edited by Becker

10 hours ago, phetphet said:

Might be easier to just ask them for a new book.

I do this but after the first page fills, magnetic errors follow.

I have online access to know my balances. But I use the book to document free of charge my balances that I can use to confirm deposits with Immigration (never been asked but prepared) and file foreign bank disclosure forms.

So once a month I go into the bank for express service where there seems no problem mechanically updating the book. The issue is the atm.

Same with my kasikon account, i got 3 books over the time, tryed in many occasion on different machine, never worked once, even when i tried with the brand new passbook they just give me.

People woorking in the bank are also never suprised and never sugest you to try the machine when you ask them to do an update, they know too well about it.

5 minutes ago, johng said:

If you live in Thailand  yes you'll need a bank book...and you can even where flowery shirts and bell bottom flares  if you want.

I live in Thailand (13 years), but no, you do not need a bankbook. I got one when opened an account, but never used it. You can do everything with atm's, cyber and mobile banking. If you need bank statements, you can print them yourself. 

8 minutes ago, Cheops said:

Bankbooks?

I guess some people still live in the 1970's

:cheesy:

Yes, immigration particularly when applying for an annual extension of stay.

As we know it varies from branch to branch.

A letter from the bank confirming the minimum amount for the relevant time scale, plus copies of your passbook entries (plus sight of the passbook itself) have always been requested when I apply.

It's all part of playing the game to fulfil the requirements.

I do try not to wear my platform shoes and flared jeans when I go to do it though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

Yes, immigration particularly when applying for an annual extension of stay.

As we know it varies from branch to branch.

A letter from the bank confirming the minimum amount for the relevant time scale, plus copies of your passbook entries (plus sight of the passbook itself) have always been requested when I apply.

It's all part of playing the game to fulfil the requirements.

I do try not to wear my platform shoes and flared jeans when I go to do it though.

I'm on a WP visa, for which that is not needed, so I wouldn't know. But why wouldn't they accept printed statements, which are legally the same as the prints in the bankbooks?

2 minutes ago, Cheops said:

I'm on a WP visa, for which that is not needed, so I wouldn't know. But why wouldn't they accept printed statements, which are legally the same as the prints in the bankbooks?

Hmm, I'd think that arguing with an IO as to what they have to accept is probably more difficult than pushing string uphill.

8 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Hmm, I'd think that arguing with an IO as to what they have to accept is probably more difficult than pushing string uphill.

555, yes, they are always correct. 

11 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I've had this same problem for more than a year.

Not a problem with creasing the page, but I get the 'magnetic strip error' every time.

I know it's not my book at fault, as in our family we have four accounts, within the same bank, but two different branches of SCB.

I've tried all four books and see the same error for each book.

The bank tried to say the magnetic strip on my book was damaged - but never on four different books, for four different accounts. I pointed that out to them, which only resulted in some shoulder-shrugging, even when I asked if the machine could be checked.

I also phoned the SCB call centre, told them the above. The call centre staff said they would report the matter directly and get an engineer to check the machine.

Needless to say, it's still the same a year later.

I haven't seen another branch nearby with a bank book update machine. I could try harder to find one I suppose, but from your comment it could be a common error that no one wants to look into.

I get the same with my Kasikorn bank book. I assumed it was because the book was 7 yrs old so out of date. I keep meaning to ask for a new one but I will not bother now.

• Like 1

I guess if you don't have online banking you are stuck updating your pass book

I think the only time I ever updated my passbook was when they did it for a new ATM card

As far as I was concerned the passbook was just a means to show the bank I had an account with them 
What about those people who need to show financial proof to get a visa or 1 year extension of stay?

Sent from my LDN-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

I often get barcode fault with Bangkok Bank, so I just walk into a branch and ask for an update. Alternately you can get an online Internet banking, and check your account's balance online, and print it yourself...:smile:

On 4/17/2018 at 5:25 AM, bluesofa said:

Yes, true.

I think I'll make an effort to search out another update machine to see what happens. I just hope it's not going to be like pushing string uphill...

Watch this space.

I have the same problem with KBank at any branch, but BKKBank never has any problem unless the whole system is down.