Governor follows up on bike accident that killed a Chinese tourist in Phuket

webfact

Governor follows up on bike accident that killed a Chinese tourist in Phuket

Mr Li is Phuket's only death after the four days of the annual Songkran reporting period

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

IMG_6229-1021x580.jpeg

A Chinese man, Li Jing, was killed in a road accident after a crash between his rented motorcycle and a car on Saturday, April 14 on the Kamala – Patong road.

Phuket’s Governor has asked all the relevant departments involved to help accommodate his relatives and help them coordinate with the Chinese Consul in Phuket as well as help with all the documentation.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/governor-follows-up-on-bike-accident-that-killed-a-chinese-tourist-in-phuket

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-04-17

14 minutes ago, sebastion said:

I'm not surprised. Chinese can't ride to save their lives.
Biggest obstacle that i fear on the road today.
They drive on the left in China and it evident on some of the terrible riding I've witnessed.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Would you care to elaborate your statement the the “Chinese can’t ride to save their lives”. Your comments would seem to indicate that you have first hand experience the millions of motorists/cyclists in China or did you mean the odd Chinese on the roads in Phuket, which if you did the your post is pointless.

39 minutes ago, sebastion said:

Take a ride around Phuket and you'll know exactly what i mean. The amount of insane manoeuvres they do im surprised we dont have more Chinese deaths.
They u turn without looking, they ride with a phone in their hand looking at the map on where to go.
They ride extremely slow for the traffic conditions.
They need to be educated on riding on the right hand side of the road as I've had a bike come around the corner head on nearly causing me to come off my bike.
I believe most don't have the first idea about riding whatsoever.

They are now enemy No.1 on Phuket roads.

Agree with you, but please, don't educate them on riding on the right hand side of the road.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sebastion said:

Take a ride around Phuket and you'll know exactly what i mean. The amount of insane manoeuvres they do im surprised we dont have more Chinese deaths.
They u turn without looking, they ride with a phone in their hand looking at the map on where to go.
They ride extremely slow for the traffic conditions.
They need to be educated on riding on the right hand side of the road as I've had a bike come around the corner head on nearly causing me to come off my bike.
I believe most don't have the first idea about riding whatsoever.

They are now enemy No.1 on Phuket roads.

Point made, but reading all threads you could be describing many nationalities including locals. 

Point made, but reading all threads you could be describing many nationalities including locals. 
What i should have said is that the Chinese have no situational awareness.
They cross roads as pedestrians without looking, they swim when they can't swim at all.
On bikes they don't even consider their actions before doing them.

• Like 1

I'm not surprised. Chinese can't ride to save their lives.
Biggest obstacle that i fear on the road today.
They drive on the left in China and it evident on some of the terrible riding I've witnessed.

I think you have it backwards! China like the majority of nations drive on the right. Here and British colonies drive on the left.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Jimi007 said:

I think you have it backwards! China like the majority of nations drive on the right. Here and British colonies drive on the left.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

He also wants to educate them on riding on the right. Looks like he has left and right mixed up, therefore Sebastian must be female.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, sebastion said:

What i should have said is that the Chinese have no situational awareness.
They cross roads as pedestrians without looking, they swim when they can't swim at all.
On bikes they don't even consider their actions before doing them.

In China majority of the population live no where near the coast so I agree on their swimming abilities. By the way I do live in china

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

He also wants to educate them on riding on the right. Looks like he has left and right mixed up, therefore Sebastian must be female.

Not sure about that. But I am sure which side to drive on! I have 5 cars. 4 are in the USA and I sit on the left side to drive on the right side of the road. My truck here, I sit on the right side and drive on the left side of the road! The thing that messes with me the most is I turn on the windshield wipes to change lanes! I have learned the turn indicator is always on the driver's widow side, no mater which side you are steering from. It was interesting at first to shift a 5 speed gear shift with my left hand after doing it with my right hand forever, but not much of an issue with my left hand either after 13 years of driving on the wrong side of the road! 

14 hours ago, stevenl said:

Agree with you, but please, don't educate them on riding on the right hand side of the road.

Yeah it's hard enough to educate Thais to ride/drive on left side of road

On 4/17/2018 at 3:34 AM, sebastion said:

They drive on the left in China

Have you visited or lived in China?  Obviously not.  I worked there and let me assure you, in China, they drive on the right side of the road.  Get your facts correct before posting and making derogatory remarks about people you appear to know nothing about.  Many of your statements can be applied to Thais as well as people from other countries.  Also, if they did drive on the left then they would be driving on the same side of the road as in Thailand.

'nuf sed

Edited by wotsdermatter
more information added