Appeals Court jails ex-deputy minister for two years

snoop1130

Appeals Court jails ex-deputy minister for two years

By The Nation

0b30313196b74358d3fdeab1b5d7eced.jpeg

File photo : Plodprasop Suraswadi

Plodprasop Suraswadi, the former deputy prime minister during the Yingluck Shinawatra administration, has been jailed for two years without suspension in verdict released on Tuesday by the Appeals Court in Bangkok.

The 73-year-old Plodprasop – who was permanent secretary for the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment at that time of offence – was accused by former Department of Marine and Coastal Resources deputy director-general Vitoon Jalayananavin of wrongfully exercised his functions to the injury of other persons. The offence was punishable with one to 10 years imprisonment or a Bt2,000 to Bt20,000 fine or both. 

Vitoon – who is to receive Bt1.4 million compensation from Plodprasop as part of the court verdict – had accused Plodprasop of dishonestly using his discretion from October 1, 2003, to November 12, 2011, to suspend the duty assignment to promote Vitoon to a Forestry Office director’s position. 

The previous court verdict gave Plodprasop a two year suspended jail term plus a Bt20,000 fine.

A source at the Central Criminal Court for Corruption and Misconduct Cases said Plodprasop is in the process of applying for bail release and plans to appeal the case at the Supreme Court.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30343327

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-4-17

I just can't imagine this man ever being incarcerated. We're talking "The Plod'" here, an extremely powerful man. I just don't see it happening, but would not mind one bit being proved in error.

Edited by Dap

If only he had section 44 he could of just removed them and put anyone he wanted in his place.

I still cannot get my head around how seemingly some transfers of officials are deemed okay and others are not, when in essence they are all done to sure up the transfers position one way or another and put one of their trusted persons in a position of power.

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

If only he had section 44 he could of just removed them and put anyone he wanted in his place.

I still cannot get my head around how seemingly some transfers of officials are deemed okay and others are not, when in essence they are all done to sure up the transfers position one way or another and put one of their trusted persons in a position of power.

I think it's a case of they can do do it, but must follow the rules very carefully. If you don't then there's plenty of Catch 22's to trip you up sometime in the future when someone decides to act on the transgression.

Unless of course you've got Section 44. In which case you really are untouchable.

• Like 1