VIDEO: American attacks Thai at Bangkok airport "because his flight was cancelled"

Jonathan Fairfield

Good Lord- so many generalizations and stereotyping here.  It's not about America Vs Europe or Thailand.  It's about 2 individuals and how they reacted to a situation.

From what I can garner from the reporting- the American was having an issue about a flight. He may have been taking meds; he may have some type of illness and he may just be depressed or having personal problems.  It appears he did something to the Thai person's 'board' and documents- which is the way the Thai makes his living.

In the clip- the Thai approaches the American and it looks to me as if he is trying to get an explanation of why the American had disturbed his  announcement board/documents.  The Thai  does touch the  American but whether this rises to the level of assault is dubious. For sure- the American overreacts and the Thai is 'hurt'- whether his arm is broken- only a doctor can tell. The American is guilty of assault as his response is not proportional to the Thai touching him. He could have simply pushed the Thai's hand away and kept walking.

I would give the American a suspended sentence- order full compensation to include some for pain and suffering. Hospital expenses plus 100,000 Baht. Next case.

22 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Good Lord- so many generalizations and stereotyping here.  It's not about America Vs Europe or Thailand.  It's about 2 individuals and how they reacted to a situation.

From what I can garner from the reporting- the American was having an issue about a flight. He may have been taking meds; he may have some type of illness and he may just be depressed or having personal problems.  It appears he did something to the Thai person's 'board' and documents- which is the way the Thai makes his living.

In the clip- the Thai approaches the American and it looks to me as if he is trying to get an explanation of why the American had disturbed his  announcement board/documents.  The Thai  does touch the  American but whether this rises to the level of assault is dubious. For sure- the American overreacts and the Thai is 'hurt'- whether his arm is broken- only a doctor can tell. The American is guilty of assault as his response is not proportional to the Thai touching him. He could have simply pushed the Thai's hand away and kept walking.

I would give the American a suspended sentence- order full compensation to include some for pain and suffering. Hospital expenses plus 100,000 Baht. Next case.

A lot of suppositions and assumptions. 

Previously I had covered the (currently unproven) claim regarding the Thai's sign so I won't belabor the point.

The claim that the "the Thai approaches the American and it looks to me as if he is trying to get an explanation" seems to fly in the face of the video evidence. Even entering the frame the Thai is crab walking with his hand on the American's chest. He then raises the other hand - having impeded the American the whole of the available clip.

Here's a question I have for everyone claiming the American overreacted: if he was not justified in neutralising a perceived physical threat to his person was the Thai justified in accosting him over property that was obviously already returned (currently unproven claim once again re theft)?. I.E.; if the American is guilty of unproportional response to a physical altercation was not the Thai escalating an alleged property issue to a physical altercation not just as guilty of a response that was not proportional? 

I really don't think the Thai was over-reacting.  Remember- the Thai was working and meeting someone and had apparently been given the job of meeting this person , The American interfere in his livelihood for no apparent reason other than he was angry about his own personal situation.  He encroached on the Thai.  The Thai did impede the American but I would not call it assault but merely trying to get the American to stop possibly for an explanation.  The American attacked- way out of proportion to what was taking place.  The American could have swatted the Thai's hand away and kept walking- He didn't- it was assault and he has to pay. You just cannot go around taking out your anger or irritation on someone else- first by interrupting their livelihood and then assaulting them.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2018 at 7:05 PM, saakura said:

Complete idiot, the farang. Lucky he did not crack the skull of the Thai. The Thai should be compensated AND the idiot should be locked up for a few weeks.

Banging someone's head against a concrete floor warrants a far more severe punishment than that. He could have died, for crying out loud. Five years in the monkey house should sort out this douche-bag and his "illness".

There is not enough information and obviously there was more to the start of this. 

Questions;

Why would the farang take a clipboard ?

The Thai had the clipboard in his hand ?

Obviously the farang became unhinged, Thais also commonly have this problem ?

The fact someone started filming tells me there was more to it earlier on.

1 minute ago, JAZZDOG said:

There is not enough information and obviously there was more to the start of this. 

Questions;

Why would the farang take a clipboard ?

The Thai had the clipboard in his hand ?

Obviously the farang became unhinged, Thais also commonly have this problem ?

The fact someone started filming tells me there was more to it earlier on.

But you've conveniently not mentioned:  "

"Banging someone's head against a concrete floor ...

9 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I really don't think the Thai was over-reacting.  Remember- the Thai was working and meeting someone and had apparently been given the job of meeting this person , The American interfere in his livelihood for no apparent reason other than he was angry about his own personal situation.  He encroached on the Thai.  The Thai did impede the American but I would not call it assault but merely trying to get the American to stop possibly for an explanation.  The American attacked- way out of proportion to what was taking place.  The American could have swatted the Thai's hand away and kept walking- He didn't- it was assault and he has to pay. You just cannot go around taking out your anger or irritation on someone else- first by interrupting their livelihood and then assaulting them.

The Thai wasn't over-reacting?

Escalating an alleged property issue into a physical issue?

From your post it appears that you understand the Thai's job "meeting this person". The sign was a tool to complete the job; not the job in and of itself. I believe we can all agree that he could have, while acknowledging the sign made his job easier, completed his task with or without the tool. The fact the Thai escalated an alleged incident to an altercation would cause me, assuming I was his client, to not desire to use his services much more than having to listen for a "Mr. David" and then having pity for the alleged theft of his tool after hearing his story. I'm claiming the Thai did more damage to his livelihood than the American. 

Since this thread is full of unsubstantiated claims I'm going to make some as well. The real story is as below as I want to believe it (after all y'all are posting about how you want to believe the facts are).

The American was going through the area. After not getting his flight, and losing a significant business deal, he was understandable irate. Upon leaving the area a large flight from China was coming in. Politely giving a wide berth to the gaggle of tourists his pulled suitcase swung wide and caught a sign that the Thai tout had littered on the railing to ensure his place was kept (do you know who he is?). The American, innocuously failing to realise the sign was hitching a ride continued onwards. The tout, returning from ogling the fine Chinese tourist booties, catches sight of his precious sign flipping him the bird as it thinks it escapes on the suitcase. Incensed that his property is causing him to lose face, because much to his chagrin his fellow touts are ribbing him about "another one getting away", he quickly assesses the situation. Determining it is an older tourist and assuming the tout code would have his mates rallying to his defence,  he decided to attempt to repair his fragile ego.

So he ran down the American. At first, confused by the pidgin English, the American is confused and bewildered why the foaming at the mouth Thai is screaming at him - especially since he didn't know the man nor had any plans to meet someone there. Picking out various words, uttered in varying levels of intelligibility, it dawns on him that saying "mai ow" wasn't going to work as THIS tout was not trying to sell him something but rather was talking about his luggage. Fearing his personal effects were strewn down the aisle from the chance encounter between his suitcase and the railing he had felt earlier, he glanced back. Hmm...there's a sign there he didn't put. As he gave the sign to the red faced Thai he was rewarded with a vicious grin. Figuring that was the end of the incident the American continued onwards. However the Thai, still beaming with delight over the victory in forcing the foreigner to do his bidding, glances back at his fellow touts. They were still laughing at his ineptitude. Clearly the farang didn't understand his place...there wasn't even a wai offered much less a grovelling! 

So the Thai decided to assert the proper hierarchy. Sprinting ahead of the American he shoved his hand into the chest and loudly demanded his due respect. But the foreigner doesn't stop! It appears he is trying to leave a potentially hostile situation by pushing past the impeding hand. The titters from the tout gallery become giggles. The Thai tries again and this time has his hand pushed out of the way. Giggles increase to roars of laughter with one geriatric losing slight control and causing the smallest wetting of himself.

The Thai, realising that face was rapidly being lost decided more forceful measures were required, and decided to inject himself in the pathway of the American. But thus American isn't being stopped even with the hand in his chest and crab walking in front of him. He is strong like stupid buffalo!

Walking into the security camera's range it was do or (socially) die time. If one hand doesn't work better try two hands.

The American, having been harassed for meters, despite having politely declined an assumed sales attempt, returned errant property, and tried to exit a potentially dangerous situation instigated by a possibly insane tout, saw the second hand headed towards him. As it was coming from the far side of the body, the American had now way of knowing whether a knife or machete was inbound. Reacting on instinct he took the Thai down. He did it the long way which kept the approaching hand in the air where centrifugal force would either neutralise or negate any bladed attack. Once the assailant was on the ground, a quick head bang to daze the Thai and ensure that there was no follow up attack allowed the American to exit the situation and fully assess any possible further dangers to himself or others.

As I stated most of that is conjecture. Which is exactly what the "hang him high" brigade is engaged in. Which set of assumptions are correct; theirs or the one I just posited? It doesn't really matter does it? The only facts we have, as evidenced by the extremely short silent video, have the Thai instigating a physical altercation. The American doesn't respond UNTIL the Thai brings his second hand into play from out of the American's view. The American took the Thai down (causing him to land on his right arm, which although the Thai claimed was broken still was able to support his weight when he pushed himself up), dazed him, retreated, and assessed the situation. 

*sigh*  Is it just me or do you folks also see an increase in various offences committed by foreigners (of various nationalities) in Thailand recently ?!

I am guessing that all this bodes badly for all of us foreigners_leading to negative generalisations about us by many Thais. I hope my guess is wrong.

Yes- there is an increase in incidents between foreigners and Thais and it is almost universally Western Foreigners that are involved.

We can go back and forth as to who started this incident but it is clear that the end showed an American striking a Thai and hitting his head against the floor.  A complete over reaction and intolerable in Thai society.

Thai people already think Western foreigners are overly aggressive; filled with criminals and are generally poor human beings. They do make exceptions on an individual basis once they get to know you.

This incident need not have ended the way it did- all the American had to do was continue walking . He knows he did the wrong thing because he looked contrite and offered full compensation.

My advice after 5 decades in Thailand- avoid confrontations while in Thailand . Do not raise your voice; walk away from any potential issue. 

5 hours ago, dave_boo said:

The Thai wasn't over-reacting?

Escalating an alleged property issue into a physical issue?

From your post it appears that you understand the Thai's job "meeting this person". The sign was a tool to complete the job; not the job in and of itself. I believe we can all agree that he could have, while acknowledging the sign made his job easier, completed his task with or without the tool. The fact the Thai escalated an alleged incident to an altercation would cause me, assuming I was his client, to not desire to use his services much more than having to listen for a "Mr. David" and then having pity for the alleged theft of his tool after hearing his story. I'm claiming the Thai did more damage to his livelihood than the American. 

Since this thread is full of unsubstantiated claims I'm going to make some as well. The real story is as below as I want to believe it (after all y'all are posting about how you want to believe the facts are).

The American was going through the area. After not getting his flight, and losing a significant business deal, he was understandable irate. Upon leaving the area a large flight from China was coming in. Politely giving a wide berth to the gaggle of tourists his pulled suitcase swung wide and caught a sign that the Thai tout had littered on the railing to ensure his place was kept (do you know who he is?). The American, innocuously failing to realise the sign was hitching a ride continued onwards. The tout, returning from ogling the fine Chinese tourist booties, catches sight of his precious sign flipping him the bird as it thinks it escapes on the suitcase. Incensed that his property is causing him to lose face, because much to his chagrin his fellow touts are ribbing him about "another one getting away", he quickly assesses the situation. Determining it is an older tourist and assuming the tout code would have his mates rallying to his defence,  he decided to attempt to repair his fragile ego.

So he ran down the American. At first, confused by the pidgin English, the American is confused and bewildered why the foaming at the mouth Thai is screaming at him - especially since he didn't know the man nor had any plans to meet someone there. Picking out various words, uttered in varying levels of intelligibility, it dawns on him that saying "mai ow" wasn't going to work as THIS tout was not trying to sell him something but rather was talking about his luggage. Fearing his personal effects were strewn down the aisle from the chance encounter between his suitcase and the railing he had felt earlier, he glanced back. Hmm...there's a sign there he didn't put. As he gave the sign to the red faced Thai he was rewarded with a vicious grin. Figuring that was the end of the incident the American continued onwards. However the Thai, still beaming with delight over the victory in forcing the foreigner to do his bidding, glances back at his fellow touts. They were still laughing at his ineptitude. Clearly the farang didn't understand his place...there wasn't even a wai offered much less a grovelling! 

So the Thai decided to assert the proper hierarchy. Sprinting ahead of the American he shoved his hand into the chest and loudly demanded his due respect. But the foreigner doesn't stop! It appears he is trying to leave a potentially hostile situation by pushing past the impeding hand. The titters from the tout gallery become giggles. The Thai tries again and this time has his hand pushed out of the way. Giggles increase to roars of laughter with one geriatric losing slight control and causing the smallest wetting of himself.

The Thai, realising that face was rapidly being lost decided more forceful measures were required, and decided to inject himself in the pathway of the American. But thus American isn't being stopped even with the hand in his chest and crab walking in front of him. He is strong like stupid buffalo!

Walking into the security camera's range it was do or (socially) die time. If one hand doesn't work better try two hands.

The American, having been harassed for meters, despite having politely declined an assumed sales attempt, returned errant property, and tried to exit a potentially dangerous situation instigated by a possibly insane tout, saw the second hand headed towards him. As it was coming from the far side of the body, the American had now way of knowing whether a knife or machete was inbound. Reacting on instinct he took the Thai down. He did it the long way which kept the approaching hand in the air where centrifugal force would either neutralise or negate any bladed attack. Once the assailant was on the ground, a quick head bang to daze the Thai and ensure that there was no follow up attack allowed the American to exit the situation and fully assess any possible further dangers to himself or others.

As I stated most of that is conjecture. Which is exactly what the "hang him high" brigade is engaged in. Which set of assumptions are correct; theirs or the one I just posited? It doesn't really matter does it? The only facts we have, as evidenced by the extremely short silent video, have the Thai instigating a physical altercation. The American doesn't respond UNTIL the Thai brings his second hand into play from out of the American's view. The American took the Thai down (causing him to land on his right arm, which although the Thai claimed was broken still was able to support his weight when he pushed himself up), dazed him, retreated, and assessed the situation. 

You sound like a fantasy writer.  Absolutely nothing justifies this bald nutter grabbing someone and body slamming them in a public space.  Lock him up and throw away the key!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, torrzent said:

You sound like a fantasy writer.  Absolutely nothing justifies this bald nutter grabbing someone and body slamming them in a public space.  Lock him up and throw away the key!

Your reading comprehension is par excellence.  Thank you for confirming the quote "As I stated most of that is conjecture." from my post.  Would you go further and condemn every other poster who is speculating on events and motives?  I am breathlessly awaiting that.

Also, it's apparent that you believe society's job is to protect the citizens.  Or at least that's how I interpret the part of your post stating "Lock him up and throw away the key!".  Assuming that is true, should society punish the Thai for physically accosting the American?  If the American's physical response to a physical action warrants indefinite incarceration what does the Thai's physical response to an alleged property incident warrant?

Furthermore, based solely on the verifiable information that we have, would you be comfortable to let the forum know where you will be in a week's time so that some random person could accost you in the street, impeding your way with their hand on your chest, saying who knows what, and then suddenly bring a hand towards your person that was hidden?  Are you confident enough in the general 'goodness' of people and society taking care of the citizens to NOT react in any way to protect your health and welfare?

33 minutes ago, dave_boo said:

Your reading comprehension is par excellence.  Thank you for confirming the quote "As I stated most of that is conjecture." from my post.  Would you go further and condemn every other poster who is speculating on events and motives?  I am breathlessly awaiting that.

Also, it's apparent that you believe society's job is to protect the citizens.  Or at least that's how I interpret the part of your post stating "Lock him up and throw away the key!".  Assuming that is true, should society punish the Thai for physically accosting the American?  If the American's physical response to a physical action warrants indefinite incarceration what does the Thai's physical response to an alleged property incident warrant?

Furthermore, based solely on the verifiable information that we have, would you be comfortable to let the forum know where you will be in a week's time so that some random person could accost you in the street, impeding your way with their hand on your chest, saying who knows what, and then suddenly bring a hand towards your person that was hidden?  Are you confident enough in the general 'goodness' of people and society taking care of the citizens to NOT react in any way to protect your health and welfare?

You should be a fantasy writer. However, first learn how to use "par excellence" correctly in a sentence. Enjoy your hypothetical fantasy world, full of conjecture, assumptions and bs, while the rest of us continue to live in reality.

1 hour ago, torrzent said:

You should be a fantasy writer. However, first learn how to use "par excellence" correctly in a sentence. Enjoy your hypothetical fantasy world, full of conjecture, assumptions and bs, while the rest of us continue to live in reality.

Congratulations on making the sum of your retort an attack on semantics that stems from an assumed superiority complex due to an inflated self-worth at knowing a few phrases and a passing familiarity as to their occasional usages.  Théodule-Armand Ribot (a French psychologist) wrote "Essay on the Creative Imagination" in 1906.  In it was the sentence "But this intermediate moment is par excellence the moment for psychology."  As correct usage entails adhering to established prior art, particularly from sources that could be construed as authoritative, I believe that a highly educated FRENCH speaker rates well enough to deconstruct your claim that I used "par excellence" incorrectly.

Furthermore, in the post you were responding to there was NO "conjecture, assumption and bs".  There was just 'reality'.  The closest I got to that was "Assuming that [my understanding that you believe society's job is to protect its citizens] is true".  So perhaps you're stating that my conjecture is faulty about your beliefs and society's job is NOT to protect its citizens?

So, while I enjoy intelligent debate that constructively discusses facts while providing point and counter point and thus serves incubate a healthy exploration of the topic you seem to be wading into this fray in ill faith.  Not only have you refused to even attempt any answers to questions posed assuming, possibly again in vain, that you have the acumen.

I guess that in reality I should apologise to fellow board members for being extremely verbose again; especially considering that you have demonstrated poor debating skills, a lack of empathy, and a curious proclivity towards attempting to shutdown views that are not amicable to your own by misconstruing, denigrating, and evading.  Whilst your attack on my added nothing to this thread, it does allow fellow posters to hear both the dyed in the wool 'hang him high' brigade (and the counter 'he got what he deserved' brigade) who bring to the table nothing but worn out tropes and venomous disdain for any opposing viewpoints as well as those in the middle who are simply seeking the truth.

Whether America has  a history of colonisation has no bearing on this thread; nether does commenting on the use of the English language; America versus Europ and Thailand and any other sundry topics.

The point is an altercation occurred-  The American admitted fault and offered compensation so in his mind he has done something wrong.  The Thai person  refuses the Americans offer and wishes the police to press charges. That is his right.

The whole thing could have been avoided- a simple apology and the American walks away- no punches; no head banging and no police.  Is this so hard for people to understand? Why do so many insist on violence or other overt actions to solve issues. And it is always those of Western extraction advocating it or acting out.  It's no wonder Thai people look at Westerners  as troublemakers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Whether America has  a history of colonisation has no bearing on this thread; nether does commenting on the use of the English language; America versus Europ and Thailand and any other sundry topics.

The point is an altercation occurred-  The American admitted fault and offered compensation so in his mind he has done something wrong.  The Thai person  refuses the Americans offer and wishes the police to press charges. That is his right.

The whole thing could have been avoided- a simple apology and the American walks away- no punches; no head banging and no police.  Is this so hard for people to understand? Why do so many insist on violence or other overt actions to solve issues. And it is always those of Western extraction advocating it or acting out.  It's no wonder Thai people look at Westerners  as troublemakers.

A bit of perspective. The American admitted to attacking the Thai. Not fault for the altercation. If I walk up to you and assault you and it ends with you knocking me out...you did attack me but are not at fault for the incident.

As far as compensation goes; it would be nice to believe that an equitable justice system would prevent any abuse of that. And yet it is abused. Whether it's a hi-so getting away with murder or a disenfranchised member of society having to pay for not toeing the line even if otherwise they're innocent. There are plenty of examples on this forum of foreignershaving to pay compensation even when they are in the right. Sometimes it's just cheaper, and safer, than going through the system.

The overt racism of claiming that only foreigners are violent is breathtaking. I guess the whole campaign to end road rage was directed at those foreigners. Too bad it was in Thai though. And the push to prevent violence and molestation before this year's Songkran was probably not done properly as it was in Thai also?

37 minutes ago, torrzent said:

Sounds like exactly what you need.  Why don't you try some?  Maybe you will be able to master twitter instead of writing War and Peace length diatribes.

A truly witty repartee that cements your cognitive abilities, mental acuity, and contributions to this thread.

Well played sir, well played.

Having stated that, and as you have nothing substantive to bring other than harassing me, why don't I allow you to wallow in the shallow end of the gene and intelligence pool by letting you cling to your delusions of self importance by simply refusing to 'wrestle the pig'?

TLDR:

You good man because know everything and write small posts.

1 hour ago, dave_boo said:

A bit of perspective. The American admitted to attacking the Thai. Not fault for the altercation. If I walk up to you and assault you and it ends with you knocking me out...you did attack me but are not at fault for the incident.

As far as compensation goes; it would be nice to believe that an equitable justice system would prevent any abuse of that. And yet it is abused. Whether it's a hi-so getting away with murder or a disenfranchised member of society having to pay for not toeing the line even if otherwise they're innocent. There are plenty of examples on this forum of foreignershaving to pay compensation even when they are in the right. Sometimes it's just cheaper, and safer, than going through the system.

The overt racism of claiming that only foreigners are violent is breathtaking. I guess the whole campaign to end road rage was directed at those foreigners. Too bad it was in Thai though. And the push to prevent violence and molestation before this year's Songkran was probably not done properly as it was in Thai also?

You have a way with words, no doubt..

.. But the American behaved like a thug, and i am sure he would not dare to do that in a American airport.

oh, but he missed his flight, that's the excuse for beating savagely a poor staff .

A great advert for those who claim to bring democracy and civilisation to the world.

I am not American, but as a Farang in Thailand i feel ashamed of this kind of non-behaviour.

Rant over.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2018 at 7:11 PM, KC 71 said:

Ive lost my temper in the airport and on the flight but i would never dare do that !

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Ditto. Attacking someone, especially a random stranger is a completely irrational and bizarre response to something as benign as a flight cancellation. I feel bad for both individuals in this case, especially the victim but even the perpetrator, maybe he has some kind of mental issues or unresolved anger management issues. He may need psychological counseling.

In my case, I was angry that i missed my flight, which was my own fault (at Don Muang) and then after not being allowed to board angrily stormed out of the office of that particular airline. This was many years ago. Of course it didn't help that the next flight was only 2 days later as that particular airline only had 3 flights a week to the destination I was flying to. I have learned never to react in such a ridiculous and stupid way again - I guess I was young and naive back then.

These days if I miss a flight (which is rare) I think no big deal, there's always another one. If I am running late and feel it's unlikely I'll make the flight I turn around and don't even go to the airport. There are far more important things in life than worrying about something as small as a missed or cancelled flight.

44 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

You have a way with words, no doubt..

.. But the American behaved like a thug, and i am sure he would not dare to do that in a American airport.

oh, but he missed his flight, that's the excuse for beating savagely a poor staff .

A great advert for those who claim to bring democracy and civilisation to the world.

I am not American, but as a Farang in Thailand i feel ashamed of this kind of non-behaviour.

Rant over.

I will accede the point that travellers and expats should in fact comport themselves as ambassadors. Obvious terms and conditions apply - take wearing shoes indoors for an innocuous example.

The only issue I take with your non-ranting post is the elevation of the Thai to a position he doesn't hold. This is a mistake that another poster made previously. The Thai is/was employed by a hotel or transportation company and thus was holding the sign. While that doesn't diminish the fact he was taken down and had his head bounced, it provides perspective. 

As he was not an employee nor official of AOT it raises questions as to why his abandoned sign was allegedly taken by the American. If the American wanted to have a quid pro quo for the pain he supposedly felt, why direct his anger at a party that's not involved? If the American wanted to inflict physical harm why take an unguarded sign? Why give it back and walk away? Either he is an evil genius and waited until a point where there is probable cause for him to attack someone (as captured on camera the Thai was attempting to restrain him and suddenly brought his hidden hand into play) or there's a lot more to this story.

• Like 1

Dear God....”Go, and stand not upon the order of your going....”

Over the last week we have had:

A.   Reasonable assumptions as to what happened.

B.   Ridiculous assumptions ditto.

C.   Demands for the farang to be jailed.

D.   Demands for the Thai to be jailed.

E.   Incredible and bizarre interpretations of UK common law/ US statute law

F.   More trolls and flames removed than I’ve ever encountered.

G.  More Moderator involvement (sometimes every hour) than I’ve ever seen.

H.  More rebellion against Moderators decisions than I’ve ever seen.

J.   Moderators post 9th and 10th Amendments of the TV constitution to justify.

K.  Posts degenerating into linguistic battlegrounds (Moderators asleep by now)

L.  USA has a drug problem.

M. USA has a colonial invasion problem.

O.  Do we care?

ad nauseum, ad infinitum - 

Can we put the pin back in this until it actually gets to court and something remotely resembling the facts emerges?

Baaah!

Inflammatory trolling posts and the replies have been removed.

A post containing oversize and insulting emoji has been removed as the use of such emojis/emoticons don't offer anything of value to the discussion other than to inflame other members.

11 hours ago, dave_boo said:

A truly witty repartee that cements your cognitive abilities, mental acuity, and contributions to this thread.

Well played sir, well played.

Having stated that, and as you have nothing substantive to bring other than harassing me, why don't I allow you to wallow in the shallow end of the gene and intelligence pool by letting you cling to your delusions of self importance by simply refusing to 'wrestle the pig'?

TLDR:

You good man because know everything and write small posts.

Thanks for the lengthy accolades...a simple expression of "touché" will suffice in the future

Edited by torrzent

4 minutes ago, Stokakrishna said:

Thai guy was the forst to put his hands on the american. No wonder his reaction was like that.

Thais fault

haha, this story reminds me of something which happened to me.

Few years ago, while waiting for my flight to Thailand, i was sitting and watching vintage football on a megascreen, around there were mostly empty seats, which few other travellers sitting and relaxing or watching the football.

Suddenly walks that guy with a little backpack, stops and and stands between me and the screen, very close to me, with his ass in front of my nose, while Pele' and Rivelino were scoring...

I woke up from my seat, and gently tap his shoulder,

and he turns on me , with a loud voice and spirited eyes, yelling at me not to get mad at him.

I was watching in disbelief as he walked off:coffee1:

Yes, he touched you and you did not strike him  or pound his head into the pavement. As I mentioned- the problem is that so many people are prone to violence.  If a Thai person or even a foreigner would touch me- my first thought is not to strike back but to find out what they want.  Why is this so  hard to understand?

We can speculate all we want- and even if the Thai touched the American- his reaction was way over the top. He will be lucky to get a suspended sentence , full compensation to the Thai and deportation/blacklisted.  If this happened in America- he would be jailed and then sued for big money.

20 hours ago, dave_boo said:

I will accede the point that travellers and expats should in fact comport themselves as ambassadors. Obvious terms and conditions apply - take wearing shoes indoors for an innocuous example.

The only issue I take with your non-ranting post is the elevation of the Thai to a position he doesn't hold. This is a mistake that another poster made previously. The Thai is/was employed by a hotel or transportation company and thus was holding the sign. While that doesn't diminish the fact he was taken down and had his head bounced, it provides perspective. 

As he was not an employee nor official of AOT it raises questions as to why his abandoned sign was allegedly taken by the American. If the American wanted to have a quid pro quo for the pain he supposedly felt, why direct his anger at a party that's not involved? If the American wanted to inflict physical harm why take an unguarded sign? Why give it back and walk away? Either he is an evil genius and waited until a point where there is probable cause for him to attack someone (as captured on camera the Thai was attempting to restrain him and suddenly brought his hidden hand into play) or there's a lot more to this story.

Excellent post. I fully agree. The American's behavior was totally bizarre and his response to what is a minor, everyday incident completely out of proportion with the situation, not to mention I don't understand why he dragged a completely innocent individual into this, unless he thought the hotel employee was actually an airport employee?

Now let me provide some perspective about my own experiences of a flight cancellation at Suvarnabhumi. This happened about 10 years ago - flight to Ho Chi Minh was delayed and eventually cancelled due to aircraft defects that couldn't be fixed in a reasonable amount of time. Luckily for me I had been upgraded to business class and was enjoying my time waiting for the flight relaxing in the lounge.

The majority of the passengers on this 747 (which had originated in Frankfurt) were Vietnamese package tourists who were returning home from visiting Thailand on cheap package tours. They were quite upset about the flight cancellation, hurling insults and shouting at the Thai employees. Most of the few western and Thai passengers were quiet. However, the Vietnamese passengers acted somewhat similar to the way Chinese airline passengers react when there's a flight cancellation. Lots of shouting and commotion but no actual violence (though I acknowledge there have been an increasing number of well documented violent acts in China in response to flight cancellations). The Vietnamese passengers were elated and actually very cheery by the time the airline put us up in the Novotel airport hotel, along with the midnight dinner buffet and breakfast buffet the next morning. All in all we were delayed by 24 hours. In more recent years, I've been able to arrive in Ho Chi Minh from Bangkok in less time than that traveling by road including spending a night in Phnom Penh along the way!

• Like 1