New lottery law seeks jailterm for overpricing of lottery tickets

webfact

New lottery law seeks jailterm for overpricing of lottery tickets

By Thai PBS

lottoseller.jpg

Overpricing of lottery tickets will be liable to a maximum one-month jailterm and/or a fine of 10,000 baht instead of a 2,000-baht fine under an amended Government Lottery Office Act approved by the Cabinet on Tuesday (April 17).

The amended law also seeks to ban the sale of lottery tickets in educational institutes and to people less than 20 years old.  The penalty for violators is similar to that for lottery overpricing.

Altogether 17 sections of the existing GLO Act were amended.  But the essence of the amendments concerns the allocation of lottery revenue, with 60 percent of the revenue from the sale of lottery tickets for each draw to be allocated as prize money; 22 percent to be sent to the state coffers; 17 percent as management fees.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-lottery-law-seeks-jailterm-overpricing-lottery-tickets/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-04-18

29 minutes ago, Sonhia said:

It is about time action was taken!

Greedy for money, that's what this country is seemingly all about!

I've stopped buying from those greedy street vendors who cheat the customer by over charging.

Here here, last week missus paid 110 baht for a ticket that has 80 baht written on it, missus and vendor said 80 baht is only if you buy the whole book of 5 tickets or so, and it’s normal and not illegal to sell tickets at a higher price if the vendor has to break a book to sell one, I call BS on this, total scam 

• Like 2

Yeah.. throw the book at 'em, lock them up and throw the key away,

those criminals, who dare they overprice a lottery ticket?

together with rice, veggies, fruits and medicine, lottery ticket are the

necceity of everyday life and let no one price gouge the good people

of Thailand buying lottery tickets ...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sonhia said:

It is about time action was taken!

Greedy for money, that's what this country is seemingly all about!

I've stopped buying from those greedy street vendors who cheat the customer by over charging.

Seemingly. :cheesy:

2 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Here here, last week missus paid 110 baht for a ticket that has 80 baht written on it, missus and vendor said 80 baht is only if you buy the whole book of 5 tickets or so, and it’s normal and not illegal to sell tickets at a higher price if the vendor has to break a book to sell one, I call BS on this, total scam 

It was just the opposite for me, single tickets are sold at 80, but packs of 5 for 500 or 600, because fixed pricing only applies to single tickets, package can be more expensive, they say. 

• Confused 2

Stop to make new laws, force first the respect for the existing one! Is the lottery not gambling? You stop already darts game, four in row games maybe table soccer and billiard next but lottery continues with all the sellers that steal the money from the poor peoples.

Wife was discussing this with the Cabbie we know coming back from BBK

Apparently the Vendors pay 75 bht per ticket 

So I would say they are making a killing  at 25 bht  profit p/t

That equates to only 200 tickets per draw to round the mth of at 10,000 bht 

Simple solution is to sell the tickets out of 711 where they can put the tickets into a vending machine, then you have the option of choosing the numbers you want or taking a random computerized set of numbers for 80 baht every time, unless they figure out a way to corrupt the machine.. Just a thought, but hey why follow the rest of the world TIT! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Agreed. Always when I want to choose a ticket, it's part of a set (Chuut) and mor3e expensive. On certain days you can see more lottery sellers than cockroaches on the streets

• Like 1

Something worked in the On Nut area of BKK before the last draw. Earlier on GF said all vendors were charging ฿90 again...even the ones just down from Phrakanong Poleet Station! I confirmed this and refused to buy. A few days before the last draw, saw ALL vendors...INCLUDING those on foot, not the just stands...were selling for ฿80. We purchased 3 tickets from 3 different vendors all for ฿80 each. Of course we didn't win anything...but at least saved ฿30 on the loss! :goof:

• 3 months later...

Well these laws are not working well at all - for some time after they started to care I would pick up a ticket now and then just for fun with the wife's lucky number at the proper 80baht anywhere in town.   Now this lady says must buy two same number and pay 100 each which I won't do.  This was at the Old Tesco/Lotus front door in Phitsanulok.  So I go down to the other door and same thing, wondering I go up stars to the food court and she wants normal price but does not have wife's lucky number - I was temped to buy one anyway because she was not over charging.  Not sure if this is starting to spread all over town or just at Tesco/Lotus, it had been a few months I didn't buy any before this started so didn't notice until now - it seems just lately for me.  A week later I asked again for a number and she was still asking the higher price with out a care in the world about it.  I am not going to be filing any type of official complaint over this - I just won't buy one - just asking if it is getting that wide spread.  I don't understand why a well dressed obviously not in need group of people have to over price lottery tickets at a location like Tesco/Lotus when people more in need should be the ones selling them in the first place.  At least pretend you need the money or something.

17 minutes ago, RKASA said:

Well these laws are not working well at all - for some time after they started to care I would pick up a ticket now and then just for fun with the wife's lucky number at the proper 80baht anywhere in town.   Now this lady says must buy two same number and pay 100 each which I won't do.  This was at the Old Tesco/Lotus front door in Phitsanulok.  So I go down to the other door and same thing, wondering I go up stars to the food court and she wants normal price but does not have wife's lucky number - I was temped to buy one anyway because she was not over charging.  Not sure if this is starting to spread all over town or just at Tesco/Lotus, it had been a few months I didn't buy any before this started so didn't notice until now - it seems just lately for me.  A week later I asked again for a number and she was still asking the higher price with out a care in the world about it.  I am not going to be filing any type of official complaint over this - I just won't buy one - just asking if it is getting that wide spread.  I don't understand why a well dressed obviously not in need group of people have to over price lottery tickets at a location like Tesco/Lotus when people more in need should be the ones selling them in the first place.  At least pretend you need the money or something.

It is worth an extra 10 baht just for the thrill of it..

The lottery sellers look pretty damn poor around my way.

My lucky number is *******

What is yours?

On 4/19/2018 at 4:54 PM, Skeptic7 said:

Something worked in the On Nut area of BKK before the last draw. Earlier on GF said all vendors were charging ฿90 again...even the ones just down from Phrakanong Poleet Station! I confirmed this and refused to buy. A few days before the last draw, saw ALL vendors...INCLUDING those on foot, not the just stands...were selling for ฿80. We purchased 3 tickets from 3 different vendors all for ฿80 each. Of course we didn't win anything...but at least saved ฿30 on the loss! :goof:

Lottery is like a tax for people of low intelligence..... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/18/2018 at 7:59 AM, JAG said:

17% on management fees!

Given the eye watering amount of cash which the lottery generates, someone is making a lot of money!

I'll bet it's not the people selling the tickets to the public...

Correct, and it's not the  ticket seller -, believe they only get a couple baht on each ticket, but rules are rules, kill someone on the road and you walk away, sell a lottery ticket for a few extra Baht and it's goal. Seems fair and reasonable. 

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

It is worth an extra 10 baht just for the thrill of it..

The lottery sellers look pretty damn poor around my way.

My lucky number is *******

What is yours?

Obviously it is not worth it or I would have paid.  The lucky last three numbers which have paid 20k and 10k in the past are between 0 and 9 good luck.

On 4/18/2018 at 6:21 AM, webfact said:

60 percent of the revenue from the sale of lottery tickets for each draw to be allocated as prize money; 22 percent to be sent to the state coffers; 17 percent as management fees.

Who gets the missing 1%?

On 4/18/2018 at 1:53 PM, jossthaifarang said:

Simple solution is to sell the tickets out of 711 where they can put the tickets into a vending machine, then you have the option of choosing the numbers you want or taking a random computerized set of numbers for 80 baht every time, unless they figure out a way to corrupt the machine.. Just a thought, but hey why follow the rest of the world TIT! 

When I first came here I remember seeing amputees/disabled people selling them. It was a  chance for them to make some cash as there is no proper welfare system.

Nowadays it's younger able bodied people trying to make some fast cash and the disabled folks don't get a sniff. Sad really.

• Like 2