Driver's License Options For Return Visits To U.s.(?)

zapatero

I keep my California license up to date but as an option you could get an international D.L. and use it with your Thai license. The only thing bad about using your Thail D.L. is that most rental companies have higher rates for non U.S. renters. (10)%) Avis

Jim

most rental companies have higher rates for non U.S. renters.

Thank you, Jim.

I had that suspicion, but haven't had any opportunity to test it.

Have you encountered any rental companies in the U.S. that are reluctant to accept the International and/or Thai licenses?

And have you any thoughts on how these might affect the rental car insurance rates?

~~~zapatero

I find it best to keep my TX license up to date.... just because one seems to need to use one's license for all kinds of transactions (banking, turning on/off utilities, picking up your held mail after you've been out of the country for awhile, etc.). Have you checked to see if your state offers online renewal if you're not flying back and forth with any frequency?

:o

FWIW, to provide some feedback, I called a bunch of rental car companies this morning. They all said generally the same thing: Foreign drivers licenses are accepted just the same as if they were U.S. issued -- as long as they are in English. If they are not in English, then you need to accompany them with and International Drivers Permit. They said that the fees would be the same for foreigners as for U.S. citizens.

Now, this is what they said over the telephone, to a prospective cash-carrying customer. However, how this might work out in practice could be a different story...

In summary, I think all of your above reasons for maintaining a U.S. license are good. I will opt for that. And also a good idea re checking for online renewal, Heng.

Thanks all,

~~~z

If you no longer have a US drivers license and no longer live there, there are some states that do not require you to furnish proof that you are a resident. AZ is one. I got my license the same day that I took the written and driving test. All I had to do was show some ID and an address. You would need to use some address but if you are clever I am sure you could figure something out. Fortunately my folks live there so I used theirs. Another benefit of AZ is long exp. date. Can't recall right now, but it is good for something like 10 yrs. plus.

If you search you can find older threads on this topic. In short, I'd recommend checking the motor vehicle laws of the state in question. For California and Illinois, I checked and it is legal to drive temporarily on a foreign license and no international permit is required (or means anything). They want to see the real license.

I've rented a car from Hertz at major airports using my Thai-issued license. They have a large book where they look up color photos of foreign licenses to "validate" it. They did this the first time I rented on this license, and not since on repeated trips. The guy at the front gate just looks at my license and the contract which indicates a Thai license is in use.

I am curious whether any of the folks who recommend using a US license are claiming foreign residence for tax purposes. That was one of my motives for not keeping my old California license...

qualtrough is correct--AZ is one of the easiest and best places. If you have a driver's license from another state--even if it is expired, they will renew (I think you take the written test). If you have any friends/relatives/family in AZ, use their address--you might even use the address of a hotel.

And, yes, it's good for 10 years.

Do read the book before taking the written test. The test isn't hard but it's tricky.

I am curious whether any of the folks who recommend using a US license are claiming foreign residence for tax purposes. That was one of my motives for not keeping my old California license...

Each state has its own requirements for proving you were not a resident for any/all of a tax year, so you have to review those specifically. A driver's license is not necessarily proof of residency for tax purposes. I know it isn't in my state. (I so miss paying 12% Capital Gains tax.) It can get a bit dodgy when using a street address, for the license, so you've got to sort that out beforehand. (Think "Blues Brothers", and using 1060 W. Addison as the address, which is the address for Wrigley Field.) It is best if you can use the address of a family member who has the same last name. Then you explain to the revenue officials that you use this as your mailing address, and stay with them when you visit. In my case the most important thing I forgot was to get off the voter registration list, which then removes you from the jury pool list.

And have you any thoughts on how these might affect the rental car insurance rates?

Car rental companies in the US have always tried to hard-sell their insurance add-on. But, if you owned a car in the US, in most cases your auto insurance covered rentals -- so opting out for the insurance add-on made economic sense.

Probably not-so if your only car insurance is on your car in Thailand. These polices seem to be car-specific, so it's questionable whether or not they would cover a rental in the US. Besides, even if they finally did, it would be out-of-pocket initially with the car rental company.

Thus, be prepared to buy the rental company's insurance if you no longer have US car insurance.

Car rental companies in the US have always tried to hard-sell their insurance add-on. But, if you owned a car in the US, in most cases your auto insurance covered rentals -- so opting out for the insurance add-on made economic sense.

Probably not-so if your only car insurance is on your car in Thailand. These polices seem to be car-specific, so it's questionable whether or not they would cover a rental in the US. Besides, even if they finally did, it would be out-of-pocket initially with the car rental company.

Thus, be prepared to buy the rental company's insurance if you no longer have US car insurance.

I don't know how this compares with other similar companies, but we normally rent our cars in the US from TV Air in Bangkok. That way the all in rental price includes full auto insurance for the period rented in the US and is cheaper than buying the insurance add-on from the rental company in the US.

Many credit cards offer decent car rental insurance as part of their value-added services. Mine is nearly equivalent to that offered as optional by the car rental company. This includes rentals via Priceline as well.

Edited by lomatopo

The only thing bad about using your Thail D.L. is that most rental companies have higher rates for non U.S. renters. (10)%) Avis

Jim

Oh the shock, the horror, dual pricing in the United States :D:D:D

Lucky it's not in Thailand or there would be accusations of the people being xenophobic and a 20 page thread to go with it :o