Regency Assurance

ThaiPauly

Hi,  My husband and I signed up for health insurance with Regency after being pursued for two years to join them.   We are retired in Thailand. Sadly, the first claim is being denied as a pre-existing condition.  It is a con that they don't take and list pre-existing conditions when you sign up, instead saying it is assessed by doctors upon presentation.   My husband had pains in his arms, went to emergency - no heart attack but MRI revealed spinal cord compression due to degenerated discs.  Regency say that this is classed as pre-existing as the discs have degenerated over time and anything more than 8 weeks old is classed as pre-existing.  We are arguing it cannot be pre-existing given there has never been a medical diagnosis and we have never known about it.   Regency have been incredibly slow in terms of responding, never give a phone number or address for their head office which is who responds to us it seems, and finally we went to their regulators - only to find that Regency Assurance and their regulators are based in Nevis, the smallest island in the Caribbean, and are not subject to eg UK financial regulations.   The Regulators response is - they say pre-existing condition, you say not, so take legal action!   Hardly complaint resolution we think.  So far this claim and appeal has gone on for 5 months and we have had to pay for the surgery upfront.

Based on this experience we definitely do not recommend Regency for Health Insurance.

Check your policy document as to procedure for disputes, there must be one. Even in Nevis. Then persist.

also check the policy definition of "pre-existing". If it says something like "was known or could reasonably have been known" then you have a good case.

But I agree in getting an insurance policy the jurisdiction it comes under is very important.

1 hour ago, LynneB said:

Hi,  My husband and I signed up for health insurance with Regency after being pursued for two years to join them.   We are retired in Thailand. Sadly, the first claim is being denied as a pre-existing condition.  It is a con that they don't take and list pre-existing conditions when you sign up, instead saying it is assessed by doctors upon presentation.   My husband had pains in his arms, went to emergency - no heart attack but MRI revealed spinal cord compression due to degenerated discs.  Regency say that this is classed as pre-existing as the discs have degenerated over time and anything more than 8 weeks old is classed as pre-existing.  We are arguing it cannot be pre-existing given there has never been a medical diagnosis and we have never known about it.   Regency have been incredibly slow in terms of responding, never give a phone number or address for their head office which is who responds to us it seems, and finally we went to their regulators - only to find that Regency Assurance and their regulators are based in Nevis, the smallest island in the Caribbean, and are not subject to eg UK financial regulations.   The Regulators response is - they say pre-existing condition, you say not, so take legal action!   Hardly complaint resolution we think.  So far this claim and appeal has gone on for 5 months and we have had to pay for the surgery upfront.

Based on this experience we definitely do not recommend Regency for Health Insurance.

Is this Regency for Expats?  If so, they have a very helpful rep based in Bangkok.  Is she helping you with this?

https://www.regencyforexpats.com/AboutUs/Index

Archived