Why do farangs come to Thailand if they dislike Thais and "Thainess?"

joeyg

On 5/3/2018 at 11:22 AM, MaeJoMTB said:

You take your wife into town, shouldn't she be at home looking after the house and your children?

I gave up on letting my wife mix with foreigners, they invariably had a Thai (former?) hooker with them.

I don't want my wife mixing with foreigners or prostitutes.

Good idea!!!

• Like 1

On 5/5/2018 at 7:40 AM, 473geo said:

Would that be the chicken or the Bacon? :smile:

Both are horrible foods IMHO. I wouldn't consider giving either fit for human consumption. However since the children are use regularly as airbags on motor scooters the bacon would be probably better at fattening them up better. Hence having an improved airbag/s on your scooter at the time of your accident.

6 hours ago, DavidAlexander said:

Whenever you really want to bitch about Thailand, go live in a China a few months. I worked there about 4 years, 3.5 years too long. Also, a lot of people here sound like friends I had in the US when working. They bitched non-stop about their job or boss. My advice is the same, "if you hate it so much go somewhere else."

In 2016, After I retired, I worked in India six months volunteering with an NGO organization involved in Child Protection. It was in the West Bengal area we worked with the CID in Kolkata and towards the end with Interpol. Everyone in India is corrupt and West Bengal is a filthy dirty disgusting cesspool.  I have spent some time in China I guess it's a coin toss which one is filthier really.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, joeyg said:

In 2016, After I retired, I worked in India six months volunteering with an NGO organization involved in Child Protection. It was in the West Bengal area we worked with the CID in Kolkata and towards the end with Interpol. Everyone in India is corrupt and West Bengal is a filthy dirty disgusting cesspool.  I have spent some time in China I guess it's a coin toss which one is filthier really.

Common denominator between India and China. Both have populations over 1 billion.

Humans are rapidly overbreeding themselves into extermination by Gaia.

• 9 months later...

A suntan maybe.

Could be the weather, cost of living, family, friends, work, study, food, adventure, healthcare, females, shemales, beaches, muay thai, tax purposes, investment, business, beerbumming, slow life, party scene.....etc etc.

All good reasons.

It doesn't have to be for the love of the culture. I didn't come here for that and it isn't why I am staying.

Why does a Thai go to the UK or US -- probably for their own reasons, which I'd bet has nothing to do with loving the local people.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Why does a Thai go to the UK or US -- probably for their own reasons, which I'd bet has nothing to do with loving the local people.

They come for selling their honey to get money. 

I would say they come for the lifestyle and possibilities our world can give them. As security, freedom, money, and some do it for a better life for their kids. 

7 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

They come for the women and stay for the food......

Well, we all have our different reasons. There is many places there is women, but the combination clima, food, cheap, and women, is a solid one, yess. 

Not always just black and white 

I have zero love for Thais, Thai culture, or Thainess. I came for business and opportunity. 

This is is my last year and I can’t wait to leave. Made a lot of money over the years and now it’s time to take that money and retire somewhere nice and sane. I actually feel sorry for those of you who are too old to leave or are stuck here. Good luck to you. 

15 minutes ago, dcnx said:

I have zero love for Thais, Thai culture, or Thainess. I came for business and opportunity. 

This is is my last year and I can’t wait to leave. Made a lot of money over the years and now it’s time to take that money and retire somewhere nice and sane. I actually feel sorry for those of you who are too old to leave or are stuck here. Good luck to you. 

I'm not stuck here for anything like my missus (as much as I love her), because if she won't join me that's her answer.  The dogs don't get a say, and that is a biggie.  Even human babies have some say (and eventually taxes). 

In my case, income moves with me as it doesn't come from here, however small or decent it may be. 

I don't subscribe too much to Thai anything really.  I've done my time here and ready to move (13 years in a couple of weeks time).  If single then I wouldn't be here already, but "no person left behind" and all that (unless they want to).

Like many, other Asian countries and Latin America are becoming much more appealing these days...

• Like 1

On 5/2/2018 at 7:24 AM, Hummin said:

Fear enough, but lying is a huge part of the life here, and from top to the bottom. It is part of their daily life and culture. 

In all cultures there is lies more or less, but I have so far never met so many people who lie so easy, and so convincing eye to eye. It is not only bar ladies who lie, that was my point. 

Thais lie to other people.   Farangs lie to themselves

• Like 1

If you paint all expats with the same brush, most likely you will not end up with a herd that contains only zebras, or palominos.

A significant cohort of (male, older) expats arrive here on their mid-life road-kill odyssey; and, like Ulysses' crew on Circe's Island, are turned (seduced by the confusion of money with attractiveness) slowly into their swinish selves; when they lose the power of human speech, they oink a lot in public.

Other cohorts come here for different reasons, stay here for different reasons; and, some pass through a "porcine phase,"  and are transformed back into happy humanoid campers.

But, teasing out the signal from the static, a lot of the carping here is just ventilation of frustration typical of people who cannot, or will not, adapt to life  in another culture.

~o:37;

• Like 1

On 5/19/2018 at 6:32 AM, joeyg said:

INDIA!!!...just sayin'.....

4 hours ago, HLover said:

Really? I never noticed.????????????????

I would be considered a Brit (not so fond of the idea myself but...)  I think they're angry about people coming and getting benefits without contribution more than anything.

Imagine here, you arrive with nothing, ask for a house and social security, health, and nobody can call a spade a spade.  Would you not at least be "rather miffed"?

My sister who is still over there and likely always will be, when looking for a school for her kid, said "I've nothing particularly against other cultures here, but when you go to look at a school and realise that he would be the *only* English white kid, you've got to draw the line somewhere".  I thought she was joking, but it turns out that she was not, he (would have) been the only one.  They got an additional crushing mortgage and moved for the schooling.  Schooling though is a topic I won't get into as I'd be wittering on all week.

Move that marker on the battle map Charlie, we've lost another strategic sector on home ground.

As for people complaining about here (ignoring the 2 week wife with house and car stories) it seems to me a fair chunk of it is about visas and reporting, and not so much about Thai culture, as it's .... well  it's their culture, and we shouldn't be imposing on what they value, even if in the quiet hours you mention that it doesn't make sense to you.

With my missus she'll say something like "I have to ...something something.... big Buddha"
"Okay"
"You want to come with me?"
"No"
"Okay"

And that's the whole of the conversation.  I don't agree with it but I don't enforce my views, I just swerve it.  If it makes her happy, she's nice to be around.

• Like 2

Why ? One Phuket liking guy told me sun sand seafood and snatch not necessarily in that order he explained his method for Thai success is he does not drive and refuses to study Thai.  When I suggested my opinion the country is more interesting if you understand the culture and language he told me he pays "no attention anymore" as it is better to ignore and "anybody worth talking to speaks English". What a negative attitude!

21 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

Why ? One Phuket liking guy told me sun sand seafood and snatch not necessarily in that order he explained his method for Thai success is he does not drive and refuses to study Thai.  When I suggested my opinion the country is more interesting if you understand the culture and language he told me he pays "no attention anymore" as it is better to ignore and "anybody worth talking to speaks English". What a negative attitude!

I don't drive hardly at all anymore (got my girl a decent car instead...though she calls the Tuk Tuk for me instead lol), although I'm about to shell out for a large car.  My missus won't want to drive it, but all my mates will.  

The language thing it seems to me to be split down the middle.  A common thing I see/read about is those that learn and then say "don't learn it, it'll drive you insane when you realise what they're talking about".  I listen myself even though my Thai is not so good, but to me all it appears to be is "have you eaten yet? Did you shower yet? Are you working today? Let's go eat".

If you replace "eat" with "beer" then you're a bad farang.  Lady, you started it!

2 hours ago, Shiver said:

we've lost another strategic sector on home ground.

And, how do you think these "alien" multitudes got on the "home ground" ? Simple answer: because they were cheap labor, and were brought in, allowed in.

More complex answer: Queen Victoria playing with "Looty," the royal Shih-Tzu stolen from the looted palace of the Dowager Empress of China.

~o:37;

50 minutes ago, orang37 said:

Perhaps you'd care to name some other "narrative of national identity" that is not a fabrication composed of some "real" events overlaid, over time, with mythology, theology, and, often revised, or replaced. ?

Doesn't exist, at least not for long. People let usurpers take the power from themselves as they are too lazy and next thing you know some clergy member, military or politician is telling you who you are. Thailand is an extreme example of how submissiveness leads to a disaster.

France f.ex. was a similar cesspit until the French revolution. Guilliotines fixed the problem fairly fast.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Haha 1