Why do farangs come to Thailand if they dislike Thais and "Thainess?"

joeyg

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Shiver said:

My sister who is still over there and likely always will be, when looking for a school for her kid, said "I've nothing particularly against other cultures here, but when you go to look at a school and realise that he would be the *only* English white kid, you've got to draw the line somewhere".  I thought she was joking, but it turns out that she was not, he (would have) been the only one.

Same as my boy in Thailand then.

1 minute ago, HLover said:

Just heard the gruffled blah blah blah; automatically tuned him out.

Sorry, no nationality shaming this time.

Do you normally go to restaurants, take pictures of other customers, and (try to) shame them on the internet ?

8 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Do you normally go to restaurants, take pictures of other customers, and (try to) shame them on the internet ?

It was your mate?  Oh, and he wasn't a customer he just came in, abused the staff and left.

His uniform of the day suggests he has no shame, so your implication that I was trying to shame him is irrelevant but thank you for playing. 

5 minutes ago, HLover said:

It was your mate?  Oh, and he wasn't a customer he just came in and abused the staff and left so, your post is irrelevant. 

Abuse the staff eh, and how one is supposed to know that what you say is true ?

For all we know his grievances could be legitimate.

Sorry, he's not my mate, and i don't care, but i find it slightly creepy, just sayin'

5 minutes ago, HLover said:

Suppose it's called self information dissemination, same as most content you absorb online.

Well, i was taught to respect other people's privacy, everybody can do some mistake from time to time, so i disagree with what you try to pass as "information".

9 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, i was taught to respect other people's privacy, everybody can do some mistake from time to time, so i disagree with what you try to pass as "information".

Sigh...ok hero. 

The staff said he repeatedly comes in, has the same tantrum and doesn't listen to the staff.

Everyone must be so proud of you for turning out to be so respectful and kind hearted.

It's in a farangs nature to moan and complain. We're taught to stand up and criticise/complain. Where as Thai are taught the opposite. Each to their own. My missus worked in an hotel, no she wasn't, and she said Indians/Pakistani were by far the worst offenders.

20 minutes ago, HLover said:

Sigh...ok hero. 

The staff said he repeatedly comes in, has the same tantrum and doesn't listen to the staff.

Everyone must be so proud of you for turning out to be so respectful and kind hearted.

Your sarcasm is out of place, really.

Smart phones are wonderful machines, but the way some people use them is distasteful, imo.

Sometimes to focus on the positive makes for a better quality of life, that's at least the way i see it.

17 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

It's in a farangs nature to moan and complain. We're taught to stand up and criticise/complain. Where as Thai are taught the opposite. Each to their own. My missus worked in an hotel, no she wasn't, and she said Indians/Pakistani were by far the worst offenders.

Sometimes communication is opposite, then you get a curve ball and realise it's tangential instead.

An enormous source of frustration for me, and told to 'ccccalm ddsoown'.  I think I'm fairly mellow - very actually, and wonder if I'm secretly in the Trueman Show and being tested to see what buttons to press.

Had a melee of them yesterday, the most basic things (up they do down, change Manu to Menu (2 hour job and I say give me the chalk and a damp cloth and I'll do it myself, and even that they forget and go eat  ....etc) and wanted to break something.  I didn't of course, but I went for a walk as I don't like to keep that stuff inside me more than the seconds it takes to move it away from people before letting it out.

7 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Sometimes to focus on the positive makes for a better quality of life, that's at least the way i see it.

I do not disagree but many here are lacking money, impotent, and have medical issues.

Tough for them to be positive.

I could be wrong but my observation is the general expat long timers here are just getting older.  Not many new 50 year olds mostly late 60' s and up.  Do not know many over 80 I guess they end up at home for medical reasons.

4 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I do not disagree but many here are lacking money, impotent, and have medical issues.

I could be wrong but my observation is the general expat long timers here are just getting older.  Not many new 50 year olds mostly late 60' s and up.  Do not know many over 80 I guess they end up at home for medical reasons.

Exactly, many of the most miserable are the ones that have the least amount left.

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

I am not young either, and i dread getting older and older, that's why being positive becomes increasingly important.

That includes being compassionate and tolerant of other folks little mistakes.

A post in violation of the following has been removed:

2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

The reply was removed as well. 

30 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I agree,

Me and my four regular drinking buddies in CM, Dave2 dead, another in hospital in the UK since xmas, one moved to Phnom Pehn not enough money for Thai extension, one returned to Oz due to total lack of money. All of us between 50 and 70 years old. I've not met any new 'CM retirees' in four years, all digital nomads and tourists now.

If you're lucky you die before you're too sick or too broke.

Retirees are still coming and not only the English couple who have moved in next door to us us.Go to any "Falang CM" facebook group and you will find a host of "newbies" asking for information as they are a little lost in their new environment.

CM is still being promoted widely as a great "Retirement Option" backed up with very little really genuine information and dont discount the Brexit factor as a reason for many Brits to seek new pastures.

My fellow Australians are still coming ,the rising cost of living back home is forcing the issue for many.

Be worth asking someone like Perfect Homes,if anyone knows the owner, who are touted as being very helpful for people seeking rentals and permanent homes what their enquiry rate is indicating.

On 3/10/2019 at 12:45 PM, BritManToo said:

If you're lucky you die before you're too sick or too broke.

That certainly puts a positive spin on it ????

"regular drinking buddies" ? I'd hypothesize a higher mortality rate there, but, I haven't had any, so it's a weak hypothesis. All my friends are irregular.

~o:37

On 3/10/2019 at 4:10 PM, Sparkles said:

CM is still being promoted widely as a great "Retirement Option" backed up with very little really genuine information ...

Could you share your specific sources that led you to make this statement ?

~o:37;

2 hours ago, jij said:

Why would anyone read this board when they do not like what is said here? Because there are other reasons people do what they do, that you do not take into account.

Indeed, serious practitioners of schadenfreude, and trolls, are willing to swallow bile in order to spew more bile.

And, then there is the comfort of knowing others are more lost, screwed up, demented, twisted, etc.

~o:37;

On 4/19/2018 at 3:16 PM, mauGR1 said:

There are positive and negative aspects in everybody, and in every place of the world.

I like to discuss the pros and cons.

If one's complaining too much, it just means he's having a bad day imo.

Or just a grumpy old fart??

Archived