Why do farangs come to Thailand if they dislike Thais and "Thainess?"

joeyg

8 hours ago, transam said:

Mrs.Trans and I have been married for many years..Her ID card has my name..Went for an extension, all OK until we did the last bit with the "boss", said to the Mrs., where are your divorce papers from your Thai husband...

She said something like....We could not have got married without showing my  divorce papers, never had a problem before....My ID has my husbands name....

Long pause........Then sent on our way......

Have you tried an attorney or other immigration office.  On  a side note i was advised a long time ago to  NEVER rely on being married to secure a visa.  rather do a retirement, if old enough or a business visa if qualified.

5 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Her body has something fascinating on males, don't you think so? She's single and looking for a Farang and would even take a Ferang. Page me, please. 

She's about a 7 out of ten for me.  Definitely not looking for a relationship.  I have fun and great luck playing the field.

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Half or more here probably don't know what Thainess actually is, and how it is taught at school. It's all positive.

Well it has been discussed adnauseum on TV.

5 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Big bwana arrives from 1st world apparently without research and apparently not even aware aware Thailand is a developing country . And then proceeds to cry about everything not being 1st world standard.

comedy gold :cheesy:

Spot on. I just took a look at the Thailand News and General Forum.  Thai bashing is alive and well there.  i find it entertaining "they" are avoiding this thread like the plague.  pretty funny actually but very telling...

Edited by joeyg
Spelling

1 hour ago, joeyg said:

Spot on. I just took a look at the Thailand News and General Forum.  Thai bashing is alive and well there.  i find it entertaining "they" are avoiding this thread like the plague.  pretty funny actually but very telling...

They like to hunt in packs always to cowardly to step into a thread like this alone.

Dont get much sadder than that

9 hours ago, joeyg said:

Have you tried an attorney or other immigration office.  On  a side note i was advised a long time ago to  NEVER rely on being married to secure a visa.  rather do a retirement, if old enough or a business visa if qualified.

There is no real problem getting an extension, my point was the "boss" asking for something that should not have been asked for, it took the Mrs to point it out..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, joeyg said:

sSpot on. I just took a look at the Thailand News and General Forum.  Thai bashing is alive and well there.  i find it entertaining "they" are avoiding this thread like the plague.  pretty funny actually but very telling...

well you can see as much of the thainess as you want.with all the cctv camera's,everyone has a camera phone so thai bashing is alive and well.the tv.channels are having a field day,yesterday thainess raises its ugly head again,with a young woman who had to endure the worst of the worst beating,just a few knives,a electric iron,and about another dozen or so items used to torture her.then what do you get,the perpetrator,sobbing and a copper pattening him on the shoulder to comfort him..so if you want to see exactly what is happing in society watch channel 3 news.

On 4/22/2018 at 10:49 PM, LomSak27 said:

There is no reason to be confused by Poottrongs statement, , JG.  They did not dislike it when they first came to Thailand. See not so hard to understand. I don't associate with people who, really, nastily, complain about Thailand. However the ones that I know that do vehemently complain do so because they were in that "I love Thailand" brigade when they first came.

Yep, these complainers LOVED THE PLACE!! They were singing it's praises. They were walking down the street, beating their chest yelling for all to see and hear  " I feel so safe here  .... I feel so good here ... My,  they have some cute little girls here .... . I love this place  ..its real .. its not a western Nanny state with that  PC crap and  Fat lazy exwife and crime and dirt and cold and and and ....". (uh, of course they are here because they usually have the pension/retirement/disabiliy from that nanny state - BUT be careful about telling them that)

Anyway after a while that wears off and now they do not like it .... oops ......... they pull that cliched 180 degree turn and now HATE IT. 

I do the above "I feel so safe" routine with a Gomer Pyle accent. This being the comical cultural ignorance I am familiar with. However to be accurate it should be done with a north english accent with some Aussie twang. I think they can be nastier in the hate brigade, because initially they got caught up in the window dressing and appearances. Once reality intrudes on their fantasy land, the tent covers blows off, they look around and find a rougher, nastier, corrupt and in many cases a heartless place, it stokes their anger, if only because they were fooled for so long. By the way not too many yanks in this brigade because at least they have enough common sense to leave. Maybe the hard core complainer have burned their bridges .... don't have the money .... no friends or family left ... so nothing to go back to. SO they complain.

Hey I complain, but if I can't laugh about it at the same time .... then I will leave. I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid. 

On 4/22/2018 at 10:49 PM, LomSak27 said:

There is no reason to be confused by Poottrongs statement, , JG.  They did not dislike it when they first came to Thailand. See not so hard to understand. I don't associate with people who, really, nastily, complain about Thailand. However the ones that I know that do vehemently complain do so because they were in that "I love Thailand" brigade when they first came.

Yep, these complainers LOVED THE PLACE!! They were singing it's praises. They were walking down the street, beating their chest yelling for all to see and hear  " I feel so safe here  .... I feel so good here ... My,  they have some cute little girls here .... . I love this place  ..its real .. its not a western Nanny state with that  PC crap and  Fat lazy exwife and crime and dirt and cold and and and ....". (uh, of course they are here because they usually have the pension/retirement/disabiliy from that nanny state - BUT be careful about telling them that)

Anyway after a while that wears off and now they do not like it .... oops ......... they pull that cliched 180 degree turn and now HATE IT. 

I do the above "I feel so safe" routine with a Gomer Pyle accent. This being the comical cultural ignorance I am familiar with. However to be accurate it should be done with a north english accent with some Aussie twang. I think they can be nastier in the hate brigade, because initially they got caught up in the window dressing and appearances. Once reality intrudes on their fantasy land, the tent covers blows off, they look around and find a rougher, nastier, corrupt and in many cases a heartless place, it stokes their anger, if only because they were fooled for so long. By the way not too many yanks in this brigade because at least they have enough common sense to leave. Maybe the hard core complainer have burned their bridges .... don't have the money .... no friends or family left ... so nothing to go back to. SO they complain.

Hey I complain, but if I can't laugh about it at the same time .... then I will leave. I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid. 

I haven't complained about anything to do with Thailand or the average Mr or Mrs Thai,  just the bureaucrats.  If you give advice to a Thai how to make a better hamburger that farangs will like" you may well be accused of defamation.  This can be a serious crime in Thailand.  If someone says "the hamburgers I just bought are no good" you may get a visit from a legit or corrupt policeman to get you to change your view.  Oh they can just copy MacDonalds or Burgerking, they sell million and millions of hamburgers every day.  They must be doing something better.  

In the lovely town I live there are quite a few bars that cater for farangs, many of these owners take turn in providing free food to patrons to sell a few drinks or girls hmmm. Monday club,  Wednesday half price etc. etc. Sometimes 2 or 3 times a week (that is the food).  All are very concerned about the drop off of business.  Many will sellout at a price well below their capital outlay just to get out because the longer they stay the more they lose.  Several have sold up and already gone to Cambodia.  Maybe they will be replaced with Chinese Big Spenders...yes maybe Hmmm.

Recently a well know supporter of Thailand with a popular web site on the subject of "how to live cheap in Asia" appears to be now offering much advice to people on how to resettle from Thailand to Vietnam.  Vietnam appears to be getting ready for simpler Visas for long stay expats especially for people from the US. 

Red tape is killing Thailand and tourists especially are getting tired of it, that is a pity. It's becoming standard practice in Thailand.  Just to buy something in a shop the red tape is creeping in there as well.  it seems they believe that the more red tape you have the more money they will make, now that is bureaucracy at its worst...yes Hmmmm.

Giving advice can be a crime in Thailand.  Many countries are moving to 90 day on arrival tourist visas and are free.  Like Malaysia and Taiwan and many other places...Thailand would do better if they could take good advice.

If you don't like the water in the bath make sure when you throw it out you don't throw the baby out as well.  now that's good advice.

Edited by David Walden

1 hour ago, David Walden said:

If you don't like the water in the bath make sure when you throw it out you don't throw the baby out as well.  now that's good advice.

David I read your post twice, as you quoted my post twice,  but still I have no clue what you are talking about.

On 4/19/2018 at 1:34 PM, GinBoy2 said:

I think the OP's original statement is rather broad.

Many people after many years here can get a little jaded after the shine wears off.

There are many things that many like here. I guess women figure high up there, but weather food, and I was going to say inexpensiveness of the place, but the last one I'm sceptical of as time has gone by.

But after a while, after that initial bright shiny light has faded it's easy to get increasingly frustrated by the place. I could almost write a lot of webfact's stories on here, since they are the same stories every year, just with the date changed

From taxi scams to traffic insanity. Another year another crackdown, reform the system, eliminate corruption, guarantee you it'll be the same next year. Then there are the coups. I went through 3, I could almost puke listening to the same BS every single time

You'll get some on here, either the newbies or those so invested they can't escape, that are the classic apologists, even if there was raw sewage in the streets they would retort with 'well why don't you go back from where you came'. That gets old too after after a few years of hearing it over and over.

We went back to the US last year, after I just got too frustrated with it all. Now I have the best of both worlds, 6 months in Thailand and 6 months in the US.

The return to Thailand after 6 months away allows me to have that initial ability to suspend disbelief again that I had the first time here, then by the time the shine has worn off it's back to the US before it get too bad....and let the cycle repeat

yeah, but i bet you the six months in the US goes a hell of a lot slower than 6 months in Thailand

7 hours ago, meatboy said:

well you can see as much of the thainess as you want.with all the cctv camera's,everyone has a camera phone so thai bashing is alive and well.the tv.channels are having a field day,yesterday thainess raises its ugly head again,with a young woman who had to endure the worst of the worst beating,just a few knives,a electric iron,and about another dozen or so items used to torture her.then what do you get,the perpetrator,sobbing and a copper pattening him on the shoulder to comfort him..so if you want to see exactly what is happing in society watch channel 3 news.

I don't see the connection to the thread.  Were talking about TV not mainstream media right?

8 hours ago, transam said:

There is no real problem getting an extension, my point was the "boss" asking for something that should not have been asked for, it took the Mrs to point it out..

Ok got it.  guess I'm just lucky it's always been very routine for me.

16 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

They like to hunt in packs always to cowardly to step into a thread like this alone.

Dont get much sadder than that

Very astute observation.  Never thought of it that way.  makes perfect sense though.  I really have learned from some of the members on this thread.  things seem much clearer now.  Thanks... :thumbsup:

The idiot who stopped the woman's beating is an idiot,complete utter idiot,fact is he himself should be beaten to death.   Life balance has been interrupted,does it not say the more you suffer this lifetime,the better next lifetime will be,he should go back and help kick the shit out of the woman

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

yeah, but i bet you the six months in the US goes a hell of a lot slower than 6 months in Thailand

I come to Thailand 3 month on and 3 month back in Aus...Thailand is better.  I used to get 60+30 day=90 days tourist visas but to get one there is a lot of stuffing around in Australia and it gets worse in Thailand when you want to use  the 30 day extension and pay the Bt 1900 to do so.  It can take all day and sometimes part of the next day.  About the same as applying for a retirement visa in Thailand. (Malaysia 90 day tourist visas on arrival are free and instant).  If you ask a Consul in Aus about a 90 day tourist visa they will sell you this 60+30 visa, they will stuff you around with bank statements, pass port pics, exact date and flight details,  written confirmation where you will be staying several copies of application fees etc. etc.  Then again at Thailand immigration and a day of your time for the 30 day extension 2 months later and yes that Bt1900.  I gave up with this I now have a Multi entry retirement visa obtained in Aus.  I put a post up on this site about this experience.  I can tell you getting a Thai Retirement Visa in Aus is no joke either.

I still very much love Thailand but I think it is best that you have a holiday from the holiday from time to time.  It's only 7 hours flight to Perth and quite cheap.

14 hours ago, joeyg said:

I don't see the connection to the thread.  Were talking about TV not mainstream media right?

the connection is what thais and thainess is all about.

its going back a few yrs.when THAINESS first appeared,wasnt it meant to be everything that's good about Thailand.

we are now seeing every day the opposite to what thainess was meant to be.

1 hour ago, meatboy said:

the connection is what thais and thainess is all about.

its going back a few yrs.when THAINESS first appeared,wasnt it meant to be everything that's good about Thailand.

we are now seeing every day the opposite to what thainess was meant to be.

well at last after 20 pages,not one of us got what THAINESS WAS SUPPOSED TO MEAN.

well this is it and it is all supposed to be POSITIVE.

this thainess was launched in 2015 by T.A.T.to promote online thai culture.

1.thai boxing.

2.thai cooking.

3.thai dancing.NO GO-GO

4.making thai garlands.

5.speaking thai.

this was supposed to be a contest for NON-THAI PEOPLE ONLY, in 5 different activities.

oh shit after 35yrs.i can do 1.

Edited by meatboy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, meatboy said:

well at last after 20 pages,not one of us got what THAINESS WAS SUPPOSED TO MEAN.

well this is it and it is all supposed to be POSITIVE.

this thainess was launched in 2015 by T.A.T.to promote online thai culture.

1.thai boxing.

2.thai cooking.

3.thai dancing.

4.making thai garlands.

5.speaking thai.

this was supposed to be a contest for NON-THAI PEOPLE ONLY, in 5 different activities.

oh shit after 35yrs.i can do 1.

What no karaoke....bored.gif.3a9d0b1a37d18a54550fcbd2fec84f47.gif

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

What no karaoke....bored.gif.3a9d0b1a37d18a54550fcbd2fec84f47.gif

I also saw this toooooooooooo.

NO DOG LOVER'S.

NO POLITENESS ON THE ROADS.

NO HOME MADE CHIPS.

NO WIFE BEATING.

NO 90DAY REPORTS.

this contest was for Thai's only.