Why do farangs come to Thailand if they dislike Thais and "Thainess?"

joeyg

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Yesterday I was traveling on a songthaew, my presence initiated a discussion about farang.

One vociferous lady complained of her farang neighbour, a guy who dissed Thailand and Thai people on a regular basis. In short another miserable expat screwing it up for those of us with more tolerance and energy to cope with daily life in Thailand.

It my opinion your concept of the 'ignorance of Thainess', some appear to experience, may well be the return garnered by those who are not astute enough to understand, any place in the world, relentless criticism of your hosts is piss poor policy, for the main part counter productive, and will certainly diminish your experience. Unfortunately with the added consequence of perhaps affecting the Thai attitude towards all farang.

Yes..I once heard a Thai woman dissing "farang" and loudly announced "All farang no good-all farang should go home!"

Of course this was in the context of the fact that her farang brother-in-law (Dutch) had paid off her 50,000 baht gambling debts in the past but was refusing to cough up another 20,000 at that time.

He certainly was a black hearted bar steward.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Yesterday I was traveling on a songthaew, my presence initiated a discussion about farang.

One vociferous lady complained of her farang neighbour, a guy who dissed Thailand and Thai people on a regular basis. In short another miserable expat screwing it up for those of us with more tolerance and energy to cope with daily life in Thailand.

It my opinion your concept of the 'ignorance of Thainess', some appear to experience, may well be the return garnered by those who are not astute enough to understand, any place in the world, relentless criticism of your hosts is piss poor policy, for the main part counter productive, and will certainly diminish your experience. Unfortunately with the added consequence of perhaps affecting the Thai attitude towards all farang.

So the presence of a farang on board triggered a "discussion" leading to a lady talking stink about her neighbor that just happens to be a faring also...  deep.

56 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

How did she know?

Did she speak English?

She calls her neighbor 'farang', sounds like a racist to me, I'd diss her for that alone.

Another common mistake in Thailand is to underestimate just how many Thai understand English but are not confident to speak English.

Once had invited a farang guy to join my wife and I while we breakfasted in town, he proceeded to diss his ex-wife, all Thai females, and anything else Thai that came to mind.

I never considered my wife would take an instant dislike to anybody, she understood every word, either he ignored this possibility, or did not care, I could see my wife considered him a class 1 ahole.

50 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yes..I once heard a Thai woman dissing "farang" and loudly announced "All farang no good-all farang should go home!"

Of course this was in the context of the fact that her farang brother-in-law (Dutch) had paid off her 50,000 baht gambling debts in the past but was refusing to cough up another 20,000 at that time.

He certainly was a black hearted bar steward.

only 20,000 tight as well :smile:

18 minutes ago, daoyai said:

So the presence of a farang on board triggered a "discussion" leading to a lady talking stink about her neighbor that just happens to be a faring also...  deep.

The presence of a polite farang who gave his seat up for an old lady actually drew the comment that not all farang are the same :smile:

10 minutes ago, 473geo said:

only 20,000 tight as well :smile:

7 minutes ago, 473geo said:

The presence of a polite farang who gave his seat up for an old lady actually drew the comment that not all farang are the same :smile:

Daft.

Yet another internet self promoter and legend in his own lunchtime.

2 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

As I said..you are a hero and a legend in your own own lunchtime.

A shiny tin badge for you..you are a star!

Now you are getting it, a little praise goes a long way, you just need to lose the sarcasm element, and you are almost there :smile: 

3 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Now you are getting it, a little praise goes a long way, you just need to lose the sarcasm element, and you are almost there :smile: 

You are a most productive little troll,aren't you?

Nothing about the Me..Me..Me..Me..would indicate your real nationality, would it?

Keep up all the posts about the bad farang..you are bubbling along quite nicely.

Im almost on to my second decade in Chiang Mai and I have to say I still Love it here.

I earn decent money from a business that I have built up from scratch with my Thai wife over a matter of 15 years.

I have a nice house away from the city, My kids are in good schools/Universities and life is grand as they say.

If I was still in the UK, I would probably still be living in a council home, working on a building site.

Life is what you make of it, its so easy to complain about things, but a lot harder to do anything about. Just live and enjoy Thailand.....It could be a lot worse.

8 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

You are a most productive little troll,aren't you?

Nothing about the Me..Me..Me..Me..would indicate your real nationality, would it?

Keep up all the posts about the bad farang..you are bubbling along quite nicely.

I wasn't aware that being positive, confident, and tolerant was a nationality trait, perhaps there is a gap in my education?

10 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I wasn't aware that being positive, confident, and tolerant was a nationality trait, perhaps there is a gap in my education?

Aw, stop yer ticklin, Jock!

At least we've gotten you out of the song thaew..

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

One vociferous lady complained of her farang neighbour, a guy who dissed ...............................

I have a feeling that you are making all this up , you seem to meet a Thai person randomly who backs up your opinion quite frequently .

Have you caught "Lieness" ?

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

I have a feeling that you are making all this up , you seem to meet a Thai person randomly who backs up your opinion quite frequently .

Have you caught "Lieness" ?

Well if you think about it, guys riding around in their Utes' will not mirror the experiences meeting people on a songthaew.

They will be moaning about Thai driving :smile: I don't have that problem :smile:

On 20.4.2018 at 10:47 AM, joeyg said:
On 20.4.2018 at 10:41 AM, toofarnorth said:

Your third paragraph from the end is something I have been saying for a few years now.

I get on well with the locals , splendid chaps , but how many car drivers can I sit with  ? Even the ones that are not dangerous are annoying with their bad driving habits.

Just for the sake of comparison compare these things to the "dangerous  bad driving habits."  of Thais.  Their impact on human suffering if fractional compared to the "big boys." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_war_crimes

You are comparing apples with oranges... 

But yes, the US war crimes are a million times worse than the traffic situation in TH.

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Once had invited a farang guy to join my wife and I while we breakfasted in town,

You take your wife into town, shouldn't she be at home looking after the house and your children?

I gave up on letting my wife mix with foreigners, they invariably had a Thai (former?) hooker with them.

I don't want my wife mixing with foreigners or prostitutes.

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

You take your wife into town, shouldn't she be at home looking after the house and your children?

I gave up on letting my wife mix with foreigners, they invariably had a Thai (former?) hooker with them.

I don't particularly enjoy shopping so best my wife comes with me, especially as she handles the money :smile: going into town at 10am is 5 hours after we have risen all chores done. Breakfast is no more in town as we have sourced some bacon. Now it is KFC later :smile: especially if the children are with us. 

2 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Is that the same Wife with whom you have an open relationship with ?

My retirement income goes a hella of a lot further here, the diversity of the country appeals to me, the food is amazing, I can get laid by gorgeous looking Thai ladies 24/7/365.  The minor impediments that are thrown my way are simply that, minor.  Would I trust a Thai???  Only when pigs fly.

4 minutes ago, idman said:

My retirement income goes a hella of a lot further here, the diversity of the country appeals to me, the food is amazing, I can get laid by gorgeous looking Thai ladies 24/7/365.  The minor impediments that are thrown my way are simply that, minor.  Would I trust a Thai???  Only when pigs fly.

+ 1

All immigrants and expats come to hate their hosts. Look at British Muslims and their hate of the Brits..French arab immigrants the same...The blacks inthe USa..the most privileged africans in the world hate the usa...go figure

On 5/3/2018 at 1:36 PM, 473geo said:

I don't particularly enjoy shopping so best my wife comes with me, especially as she handles the money :smile: going into town at 10am is 5 hours after we have risen all chores done. Breakfast is no more in town as we have sourced some bacon. Now it is KFC later :smile: especially if the children are with us. 

Allowing your children to eat junk food is a form of child abuse.

On 4/19/2018 at 1:16 PM, mauGR1 said:

There are positive and negative aspects in everybody, and in every place of the world.

I like to discuss the pros and cons.

If one's complaining too much, it just means he's having a bad day imo.

No it mean he is inadequate and a loser

13 hours ago, The manic said:

All immigrants and expats come to hate their hosts. Look at British Muslims and their hate of the Brits..French arab immigrants the same...The blacks inthe USa..the most privileged africans in the world hate the usa...go figure

So often do long term expats returning to homeland. It's the stupid natives.

Archived