Why do farangs come to Thailand if they dislike Thais and "Thainess?"

joeyg

7 hours ago, meatboy said:

I have always kept myself to myself,if anyone wants to speak to me they are more than welcome.after 40yrs.of graft.iam happy to sit at home all day,got a new car,its only done 5,000kilm.in 6yrs.so I was quite happy.THAT WAS till me and the wife[she has never been a mum] got our beloved dog,who sadly died 6weeks ago,and has left a big hole in our lives.

to say the past three yrs.thai vets have taken or TRIED to take us to the cleaners.what they did have left a nasty taste in my mouth its so bad I don't care what I do.that is the one and only MORE THAN A GRIPE against certain Thai's.in over 35yrs.

Many things I am reading here are not all Thai issues, but people/greed issues.

Rip off medical practitioners is a problem in many places.

I can't tell you how many Dentists, Vets, Doctors in the US .  From "you need to put crowns on all your teeth to protect them from cracking when you get older" (20 years now none have cracked) to "you need a hernia operation" (that was 35 years ago never had a hernia problem to "we need to do this and that to your dog it will cost several thousand dollars" when in fact the honest Vet said he would die in a few days from cancer, which he did.

9 hours ago, tropo said:

I notice you put Banglamung and Naklua as your location. Are you shy to say you live in Pattaya and also prefer the company of other expats (other than British, Australians and Russians)?

Given the other posters who have chimed in on this thread, fare chance he is not an expat at all. :thumbsup:

Remember - 'Hunt in a pack, or don't attack'

19 hours ago, meatboy said:

I have always kept myself to myself,if anyone wants to speak to me they are more than welcome.after 40yrs.of graft.iam happy to sit at home all day,got a new car,its only done 5,000kilm.in 6yrs.so I was quite happy.THAT WAS till me and the wife[she has never been a mum] got our beloved dog,who sadly died 6weeks ago,and has left a big hole in our lives.

to say the past three yrs.thai vets have taken or TRIED to take us to the cleaners.what they did have left a nasty taste in my mouth its so bad I don't care what I do.that is the one and only MORE THAN A GRIPE against certain Thai's.in over 35yrs.

What type of graft were you involved in?  Just curious.

13 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Many things I am reading here are not all Thai issues, but people/greed issues.

Rip off medical practitioners is a problem in many places.

I can't tell you how many Dentists, Vets, Doctors in the US .  From "you need to put crowns on all your teeth to protect them from cracking when you get older" (20 years now none have cracked) to "you need a hernia operation" (that was 35 years ago never had a hernia problem to "we need to do this and that to your dog it will cost several thousand dollars" when in fact the honest Vet said he would die in a few days from cancer, which he did.

just this is what was done to our boy,or should I say what we had to DO.this deleted vet made us force feed our boy every morning so the tabs she gave us had to be taken with food IN THE MORNING,he was never one to eat breakfast so it rearly upset us to do this to him.he would try and hide,mostly under the car,so the wife had to get his leed to pretend to take him for a walk[which she did]although he had lost most of his energy,then when he knew we had to force feed him it then got to the stage that she had to drag him out from underneath the car.this went on for 5months with the vet saying he has come so far you cant stop now,but whatever was the problem with our boy he never showed any improvement,but he never ever once told us,mum/dad I am not well.its 57days since he passed away and its breaking me and the wife as we feel guilty what we put him through.it was 8days after the wife and her friend took him to what was suppost to be the best vetinary uni.in bkk.he passed away without the slightest reason WHY.

so yes Its left a nasty taste in my mouth and a very very angry feeling towards all them that saw,

ONE MAN AND HIS DOG as a money making machine. so yes there are more than  A FEW I DISLIKE and hope they burn in HELL.

taff a very angry farang.

• Haha 1

Well here I am in the hinterlands of Thailand, almost every person I meet in the village asking when did you arrive, a question I now understand and answer in Thai. 

Sitting in our regenerated kitchen, enjoying the excellent cooking of my wife, company of my children, helped out on the farm for a couple days already, what's not to like

Arrived at Swampy early morning, reasonable time through immigration, free bus across to DM, Air Asia flight on time, met by family, home in an hour or so......already had a haircut with my son total cost a princely 120 baht....been to two markets, many smiles and greetings, swimming lined up in the next few days....

Life is good......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Well here I am in the hinterlands of Thailand, almost every person I meet in the village asking when did you arrive, a question I now understand and answer in Thai. 

Sitting in our regenerated kitchen, enjoying the excellent cooking of my wife, company of my children, helped out on the farm for a couple days already, what's not to like

Arrived at Swampy early morning, reasonable time through immigration, free bus across to DM, Air Asia flight on time, met by family, home in an hour or so......already had a haircut with my son total cost a princely 120 baht....been to two markets, many smiles and greetings, swimming lined up in the next few days....

Life is good......

Like you say:  Reap what you sow.........

Is lying included in thainess? 

I came across this tread

And I am wondering if Bar girls lie anymore than the rest of the population? I know their job is to lie and play game, but really, I wonder if lies is part of thainess?

Edited by Hummin

8 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Is lying included in thainess? 

I came across this tread

And I am wondering if Bar girls lie anymore than the rest of the population? I know their job is to lie and play game, but really, I wonder if lies is part of thainess?

"Thainess" in general should be kept apart from how prostitutes behave .

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Most of us didn't dislike Thais when we moved out here.

It's something they taught us to do after we arrived.

Mind you, I've never liked the locals in any country in which I've lived, including my own.

It is a hassel, all this people

On 30.4.2018 at 8:41 PM, sanemax said:

"Thainess" in general should be kept apart from how prostitutes behave .

Fear enough, but lying is a huge part of the life here, and from top to the bottom. It is part of their daily life and culture. 

In all cultures there is lies more or less, but I have so far never met so many people who lie so easy, and so convincing eye to eye. It is not only bar ladies who lie, that was my point. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, daoyai said:

Bar girls and the multitude of others in the entertainment industry are as Thai as anyone and as such embody the essence of "Thainess".

I agree, prostitution/bar girls/massage is a large part of Asian culture, not only in Thailand but the Philippines and Vietnam as well.

Not so obvious in Laos or China (to me anyway).

I certainly enjoy interacting with the Asian 'working women' more than I enjoy contact with the rest of the population.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I agree, prostitution/bar girls/massage is a large part of Asian culture, not only in Thailand but the Philippines and Vietnam as well.

Not so obvious in Laos or China (to me anyway).

I certainly enjoy interacting with the Asian 'working women' more than I enjoy contact with the rest of the population.

Have you seen all the hairdressers in China, and especially more in the countryside? 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Have you seen all the hairdressers in China, and especially more in the countryside? 

Thanks, I'll try that on my next visit.

I couldn't even find a bar last time I went.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Thanks, I'll try that on my next visit.

I couldn't even find a bar last time I went.

Good luck! 

I asked  my guide what it was, and she said Good massage, can I watch? 

It did not apply to me, but in the hotel the phone kept on phoning a couple of hours every night with a sweet woman voice in the other end. I did  not understand of course, and suddenly there where a girl or two at my door. 

9 hours ago, daoyai said:

Bar girls and the multitude of others in the entertainment industry are as Thai as anyone and as such embody the essence of "Thainess".

I do disagree , its generally participated in by the lower classes of society , both workers and customers .

Its a small lower element of Thai society , although if you live among that kind of lifestyle, you may consider it to be normal

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I do disagree , its generally participated in by the lower classes of society , both workers and customers .

Its a small lower element of Thai society , although if you live among that kind of lifestyle, you may consider it to be normal

You are so so far off the mark......

32 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Thainess is not all about the sex industry though

But Thainess IS about the sex industry (not all). Thainess is as prevalent in the sex industry as it is anywhere. Thainess is classless.....although much of the core Thainess is more apparent in the lower echelons of Thai society.

Look at the history.... the sex industry existed centuries before the Americans discovered the R & R benefits of Pattaya.

14 hours ago, Jip99 said:

But Thainess IS about the sex industry (not all). Thainess is as prevalent in the sex industry as it is anywhere. Thainess is classless.....although much of the core Thainess is more apparent in the lower echelons of Thai society.

Look at the history.... the sex industry existed centuries before the Americans discovered the R & R benefits of Pattaya.

Clueless judgmental comments.

46 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Might as well give up, you can't convince these old guys.

They know everything there is to know about Thais without knowing a word of the language and without once speaking to a monk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

You never fail to amuse,....  since the "lower classes" comprise the majority of  the population.... then Thainess must be a predominantly "low-so" ting.  All the people that keep the country running..... and pumping.

4 hours ago, daoyai said:

You never fail to amuse,....  since the "lower classes" comprise the majority of  the population.... then Thainess must be a predominantly "low-so" ting.  All the people that keep the country running..... and pumping.

Well , just from my experiences and my life , neither myself or my acquaintances need to use the services of prostitutes .

Many need to do so , but not everyone wants too or needs to participate in having sex with prostitutes , for some , it becomes their life . 

13 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Nothing to do with lifestyles, just ignorance of Thainess.

Yesterday I was traveling on a songthaew, my presence initiated a discussion about farang.

One vociferous lady complained of her farang neighbour, a guy who dissed Thailand and Thai people on a regular basis. In short another miserable expat screwing it up for those of us with more tolerance and energy to cope with daily life in Thailand.

It my opinion your concept of the 'ignorance of Thainess', some appear to experience, may well be the return garnered by those who are not astute enough to understand, any place in the world, relentless criticism of your hosts is piss poor policy, for the main part counter productive, and will certainly diminish your experience. Unfortunately with the added consequence of perhaps affecting the Thai attitude towards all farang.

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

One vociferous lady complained of her farang neighbour, a guy who dissed Thailand and Thai people on a regular basis.

How did she know?

Did she speak English?

She calls her neighbor 'farang', sounds like a racist to me, I'd diss her for that alone.

Edited by MaeJoMTB