Why do farangs come to Thailand if they dislike Thais and "Thainess?"

joeyg

I went to a large wholesale retail super market in Thailand,  in Hue Hin near the airport the other day to buy 1 kilo of peeled  ready to eat frozen prawns.  To get a card, so that I could buy from this very large food store. I had to fill out a form with all my personal details where I was born  Sydney Australia,  my present address, my internet address, my address in Cha-am, my age, lots of personal details in English.  This took about 10 mins.  The young lady attending me also insisted I provide a photocopy of my passport and sign that copy.   She then had to find a supervisor to come a see me to see if all was OK.  The Supervisor explained to me that I had filled in all the spaces correctly using black ink when it must be in blue ink.  I was allowed sign the now already copy of my pass port with blue ink as well as the black ink but I had to rewrite the entire application form which took another 10 min in blue ink (they gave me the blue pen).  I was then asked to go and shop and come back in 20 min when I would get a card which would allow me to buy thing from this shop...I don't really need 1kg of cooked peeled ready to eat frozen prawns, so I just left.  Haven't been back since.  I really do love Thai people but this must be one of the silliest things in Thailand or in the World even...nearly as bad as applying for a visa at Immigration in Thailand...yes I only wanted 1 KG of peeled cooked ready to eat frozen prawns.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, David Walden said:

I went to a large wholesale retail super market in Thailand,  in Hue Hin near the airport the other day to buy 1 kilo of peeled  ready to eat frozen prawns.  To get a card, so that I could buy from this very large food store. I had to fill out a form with all my personal details where I was born  Sydney Australia,  my present address, my internet address, my address in Cha-am, my age, lots of personal details in English.  This took about 10 mins.  The young lady attending me also insisted I provide a photocopy of my passport and sign that copy.   She then had to find a supervisor to come a see me to see if all was OK.  The Supervisor explained to me that I had filled in all the spaces correctly using black ink when it must be in blue ink.  I was allowed sign the now already copy of my pass port with blue ink as well as the black ink but I had to rewrite the entire application form which took another 10 min in blue ink (they gave me the blue pen).  I was then asked to go and shop and come back in 20 min when I would get a card which would allow me to buy thing from this shop...I don't really need 1kg of cooked peeled ready to eat frozen prawns, so I just left.  Haven't been back since.  I really do love Thai people but this must be one of the silliest things in Thailand or in the World even...nearly as bad as applying for a visa at Immigration in Thailand...yes I only wanted 1 KG of peeled cooked ready to eat frozen prawns.

It's why my wife runs the household and handles the cash - but of course those that advocate never getting married, 'rent', are rather stuffed regarding this additional service supplied by Thai ladies :smile:

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, peter48 said:

Lovely Sunshine ( try Western Europe for the last 6 miserable months) , very friendly people ( compared to most countries)  , smiling good looking ladies, relaxed  bars, great food , nice beaches,  more outdoors exercise, blue sea, reasonable prices for beer, reasonable standard of living , petrol cheap, great for over 60s as treated like anyone else ( less ageism) , and so on.

Just avoid alcoholism, boredom, drink driving, bad long term relationships ( i.e.marriage )  and end it early ( you know when its not right)  with the wrong person, chill out, smile and think of wet, cloudy miserable commutes in depressing areas of Europe ( not all). Be careful what you do and boy you are lucky and back in  Europe they envy you.  

Great advice.  Pretty universal.  :thumbsup:

Edited by joeyg

2 hours ago, David Walden said:

Problems at the super market and Immigration.  Really sorry to hear that.  Having just one color ink blue, would solve the problem in the market.  I think you know how to solve the "difficult" immigration" problem.  hope things start looking up for you.

3 hours ago, 473geo said:

I guess for some, over time, the initial positives become everyday events, therefore the positives no longer weigh against the negatives, combine the inability to regenerate new positives, the negatives become more intrusive and create discontent. Subsequently downhill all the way to the airport.

Later as the departees still require a Thailand 'fix' they become the 'experts' on Tvisa offering 'advice' and 'constructive criticism' rather than quietly accept they have failed, where others have succeeded, in creating a pleasant enjoyable life in Thailand.

On reading the input of the past failures, those who are currently enduring the same process within Thailand join the dots and throw in their vociferous agreement, repeatedly highlighting the negatives that apparently make their lives in Thailand less tolerable.

Thus created a rank of people who give the appearance on the forum of being in Thailand and dislike Thais and Thainess.

Of course those who have settled into a comfortable enjoyable lifestyle in Thailand are aware everything is not perfect, most however still retain the positives that enticed them, or have indeed generated alternatives. Rather than dwell on negatives, these people deal with them as they arise, while working to nullify their affect on daily life.

Again very well said.  Thanks for adding clarity, simplicity and reality to my quandre... 

4 hours ago, David Walden said:

So you are a genius who went to makro without even knowing that you can buy anything without any personal car ?

You just need to ask them a one time use bar code and then you go...

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, David Walden said:

That is  quite a story..

• Haha 1

Joeyg  said  "Great advice.  Pretty universal" Yes of course but more so in somewhere like Thailand - try getting any of those nice things in an industrial town in the middle of England or Scandi or Germany on a wet Tuesday afternoon in  the middle on February etc.,.

Edited by peter48

1 hour ago, gaff said:

So you are a genius who went to makro without even knowing that you can buy anything without any personal car ?

What more red tape.  When a person arrives at the checkout with a few thing you want to buy and finds out you have to spend up to 30 min or more just getting permission to buy those thing. and disclose lots of private personal information..What's the world in Thailand coming to.  Don't have this problem with any other Supermarkets in Thailand or in the World for that matter.  I'll be doing my shopping elsewhere in future.  Can anyone tell me where I can buy 1kg of ready peeled tales on frozen cooked prawn in Thailand without all the palaver.  Yes dead ones please.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:40 AM, Poottrong said:
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:13 PM, Peterw42 said:

People seem to be missing the question posed in the title.

Its "WHY" come to Thailand if you dislike it ?

Is there anyone who actually does that though?

There is no reason to be confused by Poottrongs statement, , JG.  They did not dislike it when they first came to Thailand. See not so hard to understand. I don't associate with people who, really, nastily, complain about Thailand. However the ones that I know that do vehemently complain do so because they were in that "I love Thailand" brigade when they first came.

Yep, these complainers LOVED THE PLACE!! They were singing it's praises. They were walking down the street, beating their chest yelling for all to see and hear  " I feel so safe here  .... I feel so good here ... My,  they have some cute little girls here .... . I love this place  ..its real .. its not a western Nanny state with that  PC crap and  Fat lazy exwife and crime and dirt and cold and and and ....". (uh, of course they are here because they usually have the pension/retirement/disabiliy from that nanny state - BUT be careful about telling them that)

Anyway after a while that wears off and now they do not like it .... oops ......... they pull that cliched 180 degree turn and now HATE IT. 

I do the above "I feel so safe" routine with a Gomer Pyle accent. This being the comical cultural ignorance I am familiar with. However to be accurate it should be done with a north english accent with some Aussie twang. I think they can be nastier in the hate brigade, because initially they got caught up in the window dressing and appearances. Once reality intrudes on their fantasy land, the tent covers blows off, they look around and find a rougher, nastier, corrupt and in many cases a heartless place, it stokes their anger, if only because they were fooled for so long. By the way not too many yanks in this brigade because at least they have enough common sense to leave. Maybe the hard core complainer have burned their bridges .... don't have the money .... no friends or family left ... so nothing to go back to. SO they complain.

Hey I complain, but if I can't laugh about it at the same time .... then I will leave. I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid. 

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Why Farang come to Thailand? Here's one reason. 

bar girl.jpg

Once you have had a few of these,then yes,it gets boring.  As for Gomer Pyle or whatever the accent , Forrest Gump would look like Einstein compared to the average Thai.     Anyone following Kev in Thailand vblogs? on Youtube  now in Spain vblogging, now if there ever was a <deleted> moment  ,more like <deleted> moment,what the F am I doing here ,this is it

13 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yeah, have your act together and provide the proper documents.

Never takes me more then one hour.

Yep.  It ain't "rocket science" is it.  On a 90 day checkin my number is usually called as I'm I'm getting my ticket at the front counter.  Annual retirement visa is a total piece of cake.  I'm glad this thread ran so long.  It really did clear up some of my bewilderment of the Thai bashers.  Like I said, "Sometimes ya can see the forest for the trees."  Think that was my problem.  Thanks for all the sane and well balanced comments.  Really appreciate it!

2 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Yep.  It ain't "rocket science" is it.  On a 90 day checkin my number is usually called as I'm I'm getting my ticket at the front counter.  Annual retirement visa is a total piece of cake.  I'm glad this thread ran so long.  It really did clear up some of my bewilderment of the Thai bashers.  Like I said, "Sometimes ya can see the forest for the trees."  Think that was my problem.  Thanks for all the sane and well balanced comments.  Really appreciate it!

But some do have daft ploblems with extensions...I am one....:sad:

16 hours ago, gaff said:

There's a "few" of them here... :thumbsup:  Actually it's a bit scary to me some times.  Sad statement on the human, and I use the word loosely, race...

Just now, transam said:

But some do have daft ploblems with extensions...I am one....:sad:

Ploblems?  What ploblems?  Immigration is here to help.  As long as your not breaking the law.  That's my experience.

4 minutes ago, joeyg said:

Ploblems?  What ploblems?  Immigration is here to help.  As long as your not breaking the law.  That's my experience.

Mrs.Trans and I have been married for many years..Her ID card has my name..Went for an extension, all OK until we did the last bit with the "boss", said to the Mrs., where are your divorce papers from your Thai husband...

She said something like....We could not have got married without showing my  divorce papers, never had a problem before....My ID has my husbands name....

Long pause........Then sent on our way......

• Like 2

2 hours ago, joeyg said:

Sex drives the entire world.  Thai women are the best.  Case closed...:thumbsup:

Her body has something fascinating on males, don't you think so? She's single and looking for a Farang and would even take a Ferang. Page me, please. 

2 hours ago, transam said:

Mrs.Trans and I have been married for many years..Her ID card has my name..Went for an extension, all OK until we did the last bit with the "boss", said to the Mrs., where are your divorce papers from your Thai husband...

She said something like....We could not have got married without showing my  divorce papers, never had a problem before....My ID has my husbands name....

Long pause........Then sent on our way......

Something surprises me which doesn't have anything to do with your post, mate. How much do foreigners who are married to a Thai actually know about their wives before they met them?

There's a lot of bla bla, but I stopped playing an investigator, i just don't care. At least I know that she wasn't selling her body in well known places. 

Our unknown wives? A few years back, she went home from a Thai woman who's married to an older Swiss guy. She had our camera and made some photos. All in a sudden I saw some very unfamiliar photos of a nude woman, her body parts, naked. :saai: ( Too fat for me and could have been the Swissies' wifey. lol )

I was only asking once, but when she said that these were her own photos, I had my thoughts knowing that the other one wasn't just a money gambling b-tch, she's also always trying to get good looking girls in her bed. 

So I see it as a compliment, not more. How much do you know about your wife's past? Please be honest. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Her body has something fascinating on males, don't you think so? She's single and looking for a Farang and would even take a Ferang. Page me, please. 

have you a FERRARI.

• Haha 2