Why do farangs come to Thailand if they dislike Thais and "Thainess?"

joeyg

11 hours ago, David Walden said:

I come to Thailand 3 month on and 3 month back in Aus...Thailand is better.  I used to get 60+30 day=90 days tourist visas but to get one there is a lot of stuffing around in Australia and it gets worse in Thailand when you want to use  the 30 day extension and pay the Bt 1900 to do so.  It can take all day and sometimes part of the next day.  About the same as applying for a retirement visa in Thailand. (Malaysia 90 day tourist visas on arrival are free and instant).  If you ask a Consul in Aus about a 90 day tourist visa they will sell you this 60+30 visa, they will stuff you around with bank statements, pass port pics, exact date and flight details,  written confirmation where you will be staying several copies of application fees etc. etc.  Then again at Thailand immigration and a day of your time for the 30 day extension 2 months later and yes that Bt1900.  I gave up with this I now have a Multi entry retirement visa obtained in Aus.  I put a post up on this site about this experience.  I can tell you getting a Thai Retirement Visa in Aus is no joke either.

I still very much love Thailand but I think it is best that you have a holiday from the holiday from time to time.  It's only 7 hours flight to Perth and quite cheap.

Immigration couldn't be more streamlined and efficient for me.  Both in samut prakan and Chonburi.  Piece of cake. Sorry you had such bad luck.  Like I said one day myself and one of the officers and noticed all the grouches is bitching and moaning in the crowd. He borrowed my Home Pro  the newspaper from me. We were debating which was the Better cordless drill the DeWalt or the Makita.  The Grouches looked like the top of their heads we're going to blow off. So then We decided to discuss which paints were better. We both had a hell of a laugh. Good stuff!!!!!  One Brit even said to me 'what the hell do you think you're doing there's a line here." I said "stop interrupting,  it's my turn and this is important"  The Immigration Officer was just laughing out loud.  Different strokes for different folks LOL!!!

Edited by joeyg

4 hours ago, meatboy said:

the connection is what thais and thainess is all about.

its going back a few yrs.when THAINESS first appeared,wasnt it meant to be everything that's good about Thailand.

we are now seeing every day the opposite to what thainess was meant to be.

Still doesn't make sense your other post is a bit clearer.

17 hours ago, altcar bob said:

The idiot who stopped the woman's beating is an idiot,complete utter idiot,fact is he himself should be beaten to death.   Life balance has been interrupted,does it not say the more you suffer this lifetime,the better next lifetime will be,he should go back and help kick the shit out of the woman

That's not quite how karma works... Please read this instructional passage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma

1 hour ago, joeyg said:

Immigration couldn't be more streamlined and efficient for me.  Both in samut prakan and Chonburi.  Piece of cake. Sorry you had such bad luck.  Like I said one day myself and one of the officers and noticed all the grouches is bitching and moaning in the crowd. He borrowed my Home Pro  the newspaper from me. We were debating which was the Better cordless drill the DeWalt or the Makita.  The Grouches looked like the top of their heads we're going to blow off. So then We decided to discuss which paints were better. We both had a hell of a laugh. Good stuff!!!!!  One Brit even said to me 'what the hell do you think you're doing there's a line here." I said "stop interrupting,  it's my turn and this is important"  The Immigration Officer was just laughing out loud.  Different strokes for different folks LOL!!!

I have now been successful in getting a 60+30 day tourist visa to go to Thailand and also I have obtained a Thai Multi Entry Retirement Visa which is just great I'm OK now.  The only trouble for the last 5 years, I was a novice when it came to applying for any Thai visas.  study read, study read, ask questions get different answers etc. etc..  It took me that 5 years to learn how to get a Thai retirement Visa in Australia...yes I was a novice.  So are most tourists.  Easily  fixed but then there are the bureaucrats???

Edited by David Walden

4 hours ago, meatboy said:

well at last after 20 pages,not one of us got what THAINESS WAS SUPPOSED TO MEAN.

well this is it and it is all supposed to be POSITIVE.

this thainess was launched in 2015 by T.A.T.to promote online thai culture.

1.thai boxing.

2.thai cooking.

3.thai dancing.NO GO-GO

4.making thai garlands.

5.speaking thai.

this was supposed to be a contest for NON-THAI PEOPLE ONLY, in 5 different activities.

oh shit after 35yrs.i can do 1.

there we are JOEYG.this is what thainess was meant to be,how many can you get.farangs ONLY.

3 hours ago, meatboy said:

there we are JOEYG.this is what thainess was meant to be,how many can you get.farangs ONLY.

I understand that.  I just didn't understand the wording of your previous comment.  Thainess is mentioned an awful lot here.  I thought people who were using the expression used it in a derogatory way most of the time.  And at one time or another I've done all of those things.  Speaking Thai is a work in progress.  i find it is appreciated and helpful on a daily basis. And I'm pretty sure my sparring days are over.  Full contact for sure...

4 hours ago, David Walden said:

I have now been successful in getting a 60+30 day tourist visa to go to Thailand and also I have obtained a Thai Multi Entry Retirement Visa which is just great I'm OK now.  The only trouble for the last 5 years, I was a novice when it came to applying for any Thai visas.  study read, study read, ask questions get different answers etc. etc..  It took me that 5 years to learn how to get a Thai retirement Visa in Australia...yes I was a novice.  So are most tourists.  Easily  fixed but then there are the bureaucrats???

Glad it's going more smoothly for you.  Ubonjoe is a great source of info in this area on the forum.  Over the years he's always been 100% correct and generous with instructions.

On 4/22/2018 at 12:26 AM, swissie said:

To sum it up:

It's chaper to retire in Thailand than in Monaco. And that's all folks!

Cheers.

I've been to Monaco twice and have cousins that live there.  It was a fun vacation but I definitely would not want to live there.  I could swing it financially but not really "my cup of tea."

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Can I ask why ?

regards Worgeordie

FYI 10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

Edited by joeyg

On 4/19/2018 at 11:44 AM, joeyg said:

It's such a common theme but it confuses me.  Why would one spend valuable time in a place that one mostly complains about.  seems like madness?

I'm really surprised you can't figure it out. Obviously, most Farang make the move before they have figured out they don't like Thais or Thainess. It can take quite some time to sink in and it depends on what experiences you experience.

By the time they figure it out they have already invested a lot of time and money moving and moving out becomes costly and financially problematic... especially if they have started a serious relationship. If I had a time machine I would never have set foot in Thailand, but now that I'm here I make the best of it. Every country has its pros and cons.

Surely there are plenty of things about Thailand and Thai people you don't like? You'd be abnormal if there wasn't. Just so you don't get upset and start accusing me of Thai-bashing, I've lived in many countries and I find the same problem anywhere I live - i.e things I dislike about the country and people. There is no perfect place.

Edited by tropo

One could say: because Circe's island turns men into swine. However, I'd hazard that many of the swine were already half-porkers before arrival, which is one reason they fell for the travel brochures: their psychic snouts smelled the ... perfumery.

~o:37;

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

well at last after 20 pages,not one of us got what THAINESS WAS SUPPOSED TO MEAN.
well this is it and it is all supposed to be POSITIVE.
this thainess was launched in 2015 by T.A.T.to promote online thai culture.
1.thai boxing.
2.thai cooking.
3.thai dancing.NO GO-GO
4.making thai garlands.
5.speaking thai.
this was supposed to be a contest for NON-THAI PEOPLE ONLY, in 5 different activities.
oh shit after 35yrs.i can do 1.

Let me guess ... no 4? Or no 3? ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

16 hours ago, joeyg said:

I understand that.  I just didn't understand the wording of your previous comment.  Thainess is mentioned an awful lot here.  I thought people who were using the expression used it in a derogatory way most of the time.  And at one time or another I've done all of those things.  Speaking Thai is a work in progress.  i find it is appreciated and helpful on a daily basis. And I'm pretty sure my sparring days are over.  Full contact for sure...

for me they should have added DRINKING ALCOHOL to the list of top 5 thai culture's,that must be the no.1

sadly after 65yrs.my drinking days are OVER.hic.

32 minutes ago, meatboy said:

for me they should have added DRINKING ALCOHOL to the list of top 5 thai culture's,that must be the no.1

no booze for me...

12 hours ago, tropo said:

I'm really surprised you can't figure it out. Obviously, most Farang make the move before they have figured out they don't like Thais or Thainess. It can take quite some time to sink in and it depends on what experiences you experience.

By the time they figure it out they have already invested a lot of time and money moving and moving out becomes costly and financially problematic... especially if they have started a serious relationship. c, but now that I'm here I make the best of it. Every country has its pros and cons.

Surely there are plenty of things about Thailand and Thai people you don't like? You'd be abnormal if there wasn't. Just so you don't get upset and start accusing me of Thai-bashing, I've lived in many countries and I find the same problem anywhere I live - i.e things I dislike about the country and people. There is no perfect place.

"Surely there are plenty of things about Thailand and Thai people you don't like? You'd be abnormal if there wasn't."  Actually not true in my case.  Sure there are A$$$$$$s everywhere.  Certain nationalities more than others.  Personally I find thais very easy to deal with more so than any other nationality IMHO.  Sorry.  Brits the most difficult, Aussies close second.  Russians in a category of their own.

Fortunately I'm A-OK financially.  Lot to be said for thinking and planning ahead...

You say "Just so you don't get upset and start accusing me of Thai-bashing,'  i never get upset here.  Actually I take the whole thing pretty much as a sad pathetic joke.  the only thing that is of any consequence are Ubonjoe's guidance on immigration. all the rest is mental masturbation, myself included.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, orang37 said:

One could say: because Circe's island turns men into swine. However, I'd hazard that many of the swine were already half-porkers before arrival, which is one reason they fell for the travel brochures: their psychic snouts smelled the ... perfumery.

~o:37;

Very astute and accurate observation.  i get concerned sometimes that one one of these waddling morbidly obese creatures might blow up  close enough to get some on me.  Makes ya wonder?

52 minutes ago, meatboy said:

just lucky I have some farang culture left.

1pork pies.

indian curries.

pork sausages.

spam.

baked beans.

2 minutes ago, meatboy said:

just lucky I have some farang culture left.

1pork pies.

indian curries.

pork sausages.

spam.

baked beans.

Fortunately i found i could be strong and healthy without living at the expense of the lives innocent animals 45 years ago. http://www.collective-evolution.com/2016/09/27/plant-based-protein-vs-protein-from-meat-which-one-is-better-for-your-body-dont-publish-waiting-for-picture/

• Like 1

I have always kept myself to myself,if anyone wants to speak to me they are more than welcome.after 40yrs.of graft.iam happy to sit at home all day,got a new car,its only done 5,000kilm.in 6yrs.so I was quite happy.THAT WAS till me and the wife[she has never been a mum] got our beloved dog,who sadly died 6weeks ago,and has left a big hole in our lives.

to say the past three yrs.thai vets have taken or TRIED to take us to the cleaners.what they did have left a nasty taste in my mouth its so bad I don't care what I do.that is the one and only MORE THAN A GRIPE against certain Thai's.in over 35yrs.

59 minutes ago, meatboy said:

I have always kept myself to myself,if anyone wants to speak to me they are more than welcome.after 40yrs.of graft.iam happy to sit at home all day,got a new car,its only done 5,000kilm.in 6yrs.so I was quite happy.THAT WAS till me and the wife[she has never been a mum] got our beloved dog,who sadly died 6weeks ago,and has left a big hole in our lives.

to say the past three yrs.thai vets have taken or TRIED to take us to the cleaners.what they did have left a nasty taste in my mouth its so bad I don't care what I do.that is the one and only MORE THAN A GRIPE against certain Thai's.in over 35yrs.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-heartbreak-and-high-costs-of-pet-cancer/

5 hours ago, joeyg said:

"Surely there are plenty of things about Thailand and Thai people you don't like? You'd be abnormal if there wasn't."  Actually not true in my case.  Sure there are A$$$$$$s everywhere.  Certain nationalities more than others.  Personally I find thais very easy to deal with more so than any other nationality IMHO.  Sorry.  Brits the most difficult, Aussies close second.  Russians in a category of their own.

Fortunately I'm A-OK financially.  Lot to be said for thinking and planning ahead...

You say "Just so you don't get upset and start accusing me of Thai-bashing,'  i never get upset here.  Actually I take the whole thing pretty much as a sad pathetic joke.  the only thing that is of any consequence are Ubonjoe's guidance on immigration. all the rest is mental masturbation, myself included.

Of course, anyone can say anything they like here, but I don't believe you. Getting along with Thais is different than liking them and enjoying their company. Most people with basic social skills can get along with most people. It wasn't the question I asked you.

Most expats prefer to live near other expats and prefer their own company to the company of Thai people (outside sexual escapades, that is). That's why places like BKK, Pattaya, Phuket and CM are most popular with expats. Only the odd expat goes to live in the sticks with their adopted Thai families. Those are the real Thai-loving type who tend to bash other expats the most. They get married, move to distant provinces and become virtuous.

I notice you put Banglamung and Naklua as your location. Are you shy to say you live in Pattaya and also prefer the company of other expats (other than British, Australians and Russians)?

Edited by tropo

2 hours ago, tropo said:

Of course, anyone can say anything they like here, but I don't believe you. Getting along with Thais is different than liking them and enjoying their company. Most people with basic social skills can get along with most people. It wasn't the question I asked you.

Most expats prefer to live near other expats and prefer their own company to the company of Thai people (outside sexual escapades, that is). That's why places like BKK, Pattaya, Phuket and CM are most popular with expats. Only the odd expat goes to live in the sticks with their adopted Thai families. Those are the real Thai-loving type who tend to bash other expats the most. They get married, move to distant provinces and become virtuous.

I notice you put Banglamung and Naklua as your location. Are you shy to say you live in Pattaya and also prefer the company of other expats (other than British, Australians and Russians)?

Not shy at all.  However I don't live in the toilet/Pattaya.  I've always been a loner and peaceful and happy to be that way.  I'm extremely particular who I spend my time with.  When I want to go to the "mad house" it's not far away.  Fortunately getting out of it is a short ride too.