Check-in at Suvarnabhumi 2018- any tips please from frequent Flyers?

Last time I flew it was >travel agent, get a ticket, pay cash > then go check-in.
It's different "nowadays"with the internet,  I get the simple stuff > pay+download+print ticket.

What I don't get is the check-in. How is that done online?

The last thing I want is a phone app.
Surley the baggage weight needs to be accurate? 
How can I choose a seat?

I still need to physically queue & go thru the check-in procedure don't I ?
So why online? Is there a benefit? 

Also which part of Suvarnabhumi should I request to get dropped off for the KLM departures?

Lots of questions, 'cos I'm briefly returning to UK.
Anyone have the patience to update this old fossil ?:smile:

If you check in online, unless you have baggage to check in, then you can go straight through to departures. That's why you print your boarding pass or have it on your phone.

If you do have bags to check in, then there is normally a separate queue for online check in or bag drop.. 

No idea which door at departures for KLM but there are signs at each drop off stating the airlines that are at that point. Its not a long way to walk even if you get dropped at completely the wrong end of the departure hall though..

Safe travels 

• Thanks 1

After you have checked in, you can either visit the Magic Food Court on the ground level for reasonably priced street food (although now constantly crowded with Chinese travellers) or buy snacks and beer from the Family Mart convenience store on the check-in level up past the oversize baggage deposit.

There is no need to pay the excessive food prices in the normal restaurants. Also, if you are the holder of a visa/extension, you can get a re-entry permit on the check-in level if you have forgotten to get one from your local Immigration Office.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Stocky said:

KLM is door 7.

Check-in online for KLM is a complete waste of time, as the baggage drop and check-in counters are one and the same. Check-in is easy enough, there's a single snake queue for the check-in/baggage drop counters.

You'll get a single boarding pass that does for both your Amsterdam and onward UK flight, so don't lose it!!

I flew out with KLM last week, all very quick, nice new 777-300. Food was shocking but it's never been KLM's strong point.

Surely the food cannot be worse than British Airways.

This year so far I’ve traveled overseas 3 times from Suvarnabhumi and each time the queues for check in, security checks and immigration where long. Pretty similar to most of 2017. I never done online check in, probably too complicated for this old brain ?. Suggest you arrive at the airport and check in as early as possible. 

• Like 2

You have been advised to visit Family Mart. Good advice, but you cannot take many items through security, such as drinks. 

You asked about seats. Yes, select online if money means nothing to you. I never pay, take my chances. If you check in near front of the line you are likely to get your wish. Get there three hours early.

You mentioned weight of luggage. They like to keep you guessing until it is too late. Solution: buy a hand-held scale with digital readout in kg and lbs. Don't buy the fancy ones that start your morning coffee and curl your hair. Keep it simple. Flip over battery in compartment when stored. Remember to add in the weight of the scale if packing it. Weigh your carry-ons also.

Double check airline baggage allowances. Some sites claim to allow two bags, then in fine print day that is a guideline and your true allowance is what's printed on your confirmation. Bang! $165 extra bag fee.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Reluctant Traveller said:

Surley the baggage weight needs to be accurate? 
How can I choose a seat?

KLM economy baggage allowance is 1 piece checked luggage maximum weight 23kg, 1 piece hand luggage, + 1 accessory (laptop/handbag), maximum total weight 12kg. They weigh your checked baggage but generally only look at the size of your carry on bag.

You can choose seats on-line but there's an additional charge of around Bht650, if you pick a seat at check-in it's free but there's no guarantee you won't find yourself with a choice of the middle seat only. As suggested check-in early to avoid disappointment.

• Like 1

Don't forget the ruthless allowances on carry on  hand luggage for liquids.

Each bottle of anything liquid in your carry in hand luggage (perfume etc) must not be more then 100 ml and must be in a transparent plastic bag that is scanned at security.

Usually most airlines allow upto maximum 10 bottles of liquids (perfume, aftershave etc), that gives a total of 1 litre.

Check in anything else like hair spray, tootpaste, soap, shaving foam, hair gel etc etc. and check on the airlines website what they allow as some airlines are more a pain in the arse then others.

Wish you an enjoyable and safe journey.

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 1

Check in online is still useful, if you want to pre select/change seat.   Also, if you are running late, it is certainly advisable to check in online.  

You will still have to check bags at the counter, so no real time saving however.  

There are some pretty good food and beverage outlets inside of security.  Some will also sell take away that can be brought on board.  Drinks purchased within security at the airport are fine to bring onboard.

• Like 2

If u like and don't like standing in long quese for lengthy period of time,google fast track immigration for yr bkk airports,for the princely sum of about 1200 run,they pick you up from arrival gate with golf cart,take u thru priority lane at immigration,same same for departures,meet you at particular entrance door,thru priority screening and immi,golf cart to yr boarding gate.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2018 at 3:28 PM, Stocky said:

KLM is door 7.

Check-in online for KLM is a complete waste of time, as the baggage drop and check-in counters are one and the same. Check-in is easy enough, there's a single snake queue for the check-in/baggage drop counters.

You'll get a single boarding pass that does for both your Amsterdam and onward UK flight, so don't lose it!!

I flew out with KLM last week, all very quick, nice new 777-300. Food was shocking but it's never been KLM's strong point.

I went business class out with KLM last which was perfect, but on the return leg the cabin service in cattle was worst i have had in my recent memory. Beer was in tiny "red bull" size cans, would not let me have two, food, as you say was very poor, even getting another tiny beer was a real pain.

Sent a strongly worded email to KLM, and marked them down as a two star airline

On 4/21/2018 at 8:59 PM, bartender100 said:

I went business class out with KLM last which was perfect, but on the return leg the cabin service in cattle was worst i have had in my recent memory. Beer was in tiny "red bull" size cans, would not let me have two, food, as you say was very poor, even getting another tiny beer was a real pain.

Sent a strongly worded email to KLM, and marked them down as a two star airline

KLM seems to have become the low cost arm of Air France. They have to dumb down the service to encourage you to fly with the more expensive AF flights.

• Like 1

On 24/04/2018 at 6:30 AM, rak sa_ngop said:

to encourage you to fly with the more expensive AF flights

But who in their right minds would want to fly via Paris CDG - the worst airport in the world, and the pre-eminent example of the French pursuit of style over function.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/26/2018 at 11:02 PM, Stocky said:

But who in their right minds would want to fly via Paris CDG - the worst airport in the world, and the pre-eminent example of the French pursuit of style over function.

Indeed, lengthy immigration queues upon arrival (and, unlike BKK, there are no priority lanes for the disabled or those of senior years) + rude, pompous and over-officious security staff members upon departure are the norm at that particular airport in my experience. Unfortunately I have little choice regarding my use of CDG since Paris is where my sister has chosen to make her home!:crazy:

On 26.4.2018 at 11:02 PM, Stocky said:

AF, once and never again. Extremely arrogant unhelpful check-in staff (20.00 kg) and then this nidicolous airport.

Almost an hour from touchdown until entering the hall.

Endless taxiing, are we on an outing?

The futuristic lift truck is an abiding memory.

KLM: not much to complain and that the Amsterdam customs check was very strict can not be put on the airline (searching for some EU stamp on the video cam).

And if you have read the reports on the AF447 disaster off the Brazilian coast (all 228 killed) you will not have a good reason to complain about incompetent Asian pilots.

OK, the worst air disaster of all times (583 killed) was essentially contributed to by the KLM chief pilot at the time.

But that's sooo long ago :whistling:

Edited by KhunBENQ

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 6:39 AM, johnmell said:

If you check in online, just go to the online check in counter, which will be quicker than the normal check in counter.They will print your boarding passes if you havent done so, and sort your luggage out.

So many people now checking in online, some times that line is as long, if not longer than the normal line.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:23 AM, Reluctant Traveller said:

Hi again
After reading about the 'new' security checks and limits on toiletries, fluids etc etc - I just won't take anything.
Just keeping it simple :))
Any experiences with carry on electrical stuff ?
e.g. laptop, external drives, phone+power bank, and a kindle.

If in hand luggage .....

You need to take your laptop out for security screening - put in the pink trays - keep your eye on it as it comes out of the scanner to check nobody picks it up

Keep hard drives and other electrical items near top of bag - as they may want to see then if they are not sure what it is when viewed on the scanner.

I leave my Kindle in my hand luggage - no problem. 

Power banks need to be under a size limit - less than 2500 I think?

No need to remove liquids any more - but keep them in a separate plastic bag - as thin zip-lock bags seem to be regarded as a way to protect against explosive liquids (must the work the same way as waving a torch at a bag deactivates all known bombs on the BTS)

Put mobile phone, cash and anything else in your pockets in your hand luggage, as you need to have empty pockets for the body scanners.  Watch your bag as it goes in and comes out - was a case of theft from hand baggage last month.

Remove shoes and put them in the green tray

Remove belt - nobody knows why - just do it

Use ear plugs in case there's a party of Chinese tourists in the security queue

If in checked luggage

Don't worry as they will all be stolen anyway - saves carrying all that extra weight when you arrive at your destination

• Like 1

On 4/20/2018 at 9:14 AM, Classic Ray said:

After you have checked in, you can either visit the Magic Food Court on the ground level for reasonably priced street food (although now constantly crowded with Chinese travellers) or buy snacks and beer from the Family Mart convenience store on the check-in level up past the oversize baggage deposit.

There is no need to pay the excessive food prices in the normal restaurants. Also, if you are the holder of a visa/extension, you can get a re-entry permit on the check-in level if you have forgotten to get one from your local Immigration Office.

I like to check in early and spend a couple of hours relaxing,reading,, eating and chugging wine air side so I book myself into a lounge using loungebuddy ....

https://www.loungebuddy.com/

• Like 1

I no longer fly out very often but I can remember there being two departure areas. If the one nearest my check in desk is busy (I look through the window before getting on the escalator) I take a walk to t'other area and check to see if it is busier...Although it is some time since I actually did it..

Edited by Jeremia Juxtaposed
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Argus Tuft said:

Cannot put powerbanks in checked luggage.
Only can hand carry

Correct,powerbanks cannot exceed 30,000 ma and must indicate their actual capacity,any without indicated capacity cannot be carried on board. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1