Check-in at Suvarnabhumi 2018- any tips please from frequent Flyers?

On 19/04/2018 at 8:17 PM, Reluctant Traveller said:

Last time I flew it was >travel agent, get a ticket, pay cash > then go check-in.
It's different "nowadays"with the internet,  I get the simple stuff > pay+download+print ticket.

What I don't get is the check-in. How is that done online?

The last thing I want is a phone app.
Surley the baggage weight needs to be accurate? 
How can I choose a seat?

I still need to physically queue & go thru the check-in procedure don't I ?
So why online? Is there a benefit? 

Also which part of Suvarnabhumi should I request to get dropped off for the KLM departures?

Lots of questions, 'cos I'm briefly returning to UK.
Anyone have the patience to update this old fossil ?

When are you flying by the way?

And which questions do you still need help with?

Hi Argus 
           hoping to fly late June into July.
I haven't bought a ticket yet as I'm waiting (for ever) for surface mail regarding this years tax return.
This involves a code sent to my Thai phone, so that's that.

I've now found the "open return" ticket is outdated online and I have give a return date.
That's today's project.:smile:

3 minutes ago, Reluctant Traveller said:

Hi Argus 
           hoping to fly late June into July.
I haven't bought a ticket yet as I'm waiting (for ever) for surface mail regarding this years tax return.
This involves a code sent to my Thai phone, so that's that.

I've now found the "open return" ticket is outdated online and I have give a return date.
That's today's project.:smile:

I have just read Argus' post where he quoted your remaining questions. Regarding "choosing a seat"...it depends on the airline and travel class whether you can pre-book and whether it is free or not..

2 minutes ago, terry Meltham said:

I traveled last year with them back to BKK never again very old 777-200 business class very bad

Yep. I used to use BA regularly business class LHR to Biejing in the early 90s ( non smoking business class was on the upper deck!!)..Then they became shit so I stopped using them until a few years ago into T3. I had booked and paid for my seat in economy class (25 quid maybe) but on checking in at LHR they had changed the plane to one with a different seating plan...I ended up with a centre seat and was told I could only get my money back if I went to their offices in BKK or sent them a letter of complaint...... I did neither..

This episode and their move to T5 with no post office for an IDP did it for me. Never never never BA again..

13 hours ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

This episode and their move to T5 with no post office for an IDP did it for me. Never never never BA again..

Why do you need a post office?  And why does that put you off BA?  Disclaimer: I would never fly BA myself, just wondering about the post office thing.  Why not fly from another terminal and fly Emirates?........but I don't get the post office thing.

Edited by josephbloggs

6 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

In T3 Departures you could check in, then go to the post office, get an IDP then go through immigration.Easy.

What is an IDP?  International Departure Passenger?  Something else?

But please, what do you need to post at the airport?

I'm really confused now.

Edited by josephbloggs

2 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

leave on time as trafic on Bangkok roads is unpredictible, as well as the security or mainly immigration queues...I make it a principle to leave at least 6 hours before departure of the flight.

That is a bit excessive.

1 minute ago, josephbloggs said:

What is an IDP?  International Departure Passenger?  Something else?

But please, what do you need to post at the airport?

I'm really confused now.

Ah..Sorry.

You can fill in the forms, give them a photo and get issued an International Driving Permit (driving license for abroad!)

4 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

leave on time as trafic on Bangkok roads is unpredictible, as well as the security or mainly immigration queues...I make it a principle to leave at least 6 hours before departure of the flight.

Exactly - then sit in the lounge drinking wine and scoffing food..

On 4/21/2018 at 7:38 PM, Oztruckie said:

If u like and don't like standing in long quese for lengthy period of time,google fast track immigration for yr bkk airports,for the princely sum of about 1200 run,they pick you up from arrival gate with golf cart,take u thru priority lane at immigration,same same for departures,meet you at particular entrance door,thru priority screening and immi,golf cart to yr boarding gate.

If the op is 65 or over he can legally use the priority lane, no need to pay out money

4 hours ago, DipStick said:

If the op is 65 or over he can legally use the priority lane, no need to pay out money

I thought you had to be 70 to use the Priority immigrations/security lanes at Suvarnabhumi?

10 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

I really didn't know this...I would love to know the correct age..!!

Just did a Google search and came up with this image from a 14-March-2017 post by @theoldgit :

Click on the image above and just below "Buddhist Monks" it lists "Senior Citizens Over 70".  (Wonder if someone 70 can use it?)  I can't vouch that this hasn't changed in the last year, but at least as of last March, seniors over 70 could use the Priority Lines. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

Just did a Google search and came up with this image from a 14-March-2017 post by @theoldgit :

Click on the image above and just below "Buddhist Monks" it lists "Senior Citizens Over 70".  (Wonder if someone 70 can use it?)  I can't vouch that this hasn't changed in the last year, but at least as of last March, seniors over 70 could use the Priority Lines. 

A thousand thank you's sir....Although it will be a few years until I will be that age..

15 hours ago, wgdanson said:

That's enough to start your car with, 30 amps. I think you meant 3000 mA. Cheers.

Incorrect,it's stated on boards at screening area at swampy, anything over 30000 maH or no manufacturers specs,most mobile phone batteries exceed 3000 ma,makes yr statement irrelevant. 

6 hours ago, Oztruckie said:

Incorrect,it's stated on boards at screening area at swampy, anything over 30000 maH or no manufacturers specs,most mobile phone batteries exceed 3000 ma,makes yr statement irrelevant. 

Then the signs are INCORRECT and not me. 30 milliamps is 30 AMPS. But TIT. Most phones have 3000 - 4000 mA (milliamp) batteries.

Edited by wgdanson

On 11/05/2018 at 4:28 AM, wgdanson said:

Then the signs are INCORRECT and not me. 30 milliamps is 30 AMPS. But TIT. Most phones have 3000 - 4000 mA (milliamp) batteries.

The discussion is about battery recharging packs. You can buy a 30,000 mAh pack for about 500 baht on Lazada (low quality though).

A good 10,000 mAh pack will charge a smartphone twice. For a large tablet you need much more power than that. 

Screenshot_20180513-042742.jpg

Edited by blackcab

3 hours ago, blackcab said:

The discussion is about battery recharging packs. You can buy a 30,000 mAh pack for about 500 baht on Lazada (low quality though).

A good 10,000 mAh pack will charge a smartphone twice. For a large tablet you need much more power than that. 

Screenshot_20180513-042742.jpg

I bow to your superior knowledge sir. 30,000mAh is a lot, but for how long will it be useful.....10 minutes? So really 5000mA, that's more like it. Cheers. Power to the people !

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

I bow to your superior knowledge sir. 30,000mAh is a lot, but for how long will it be useful.....10 minutes? So really 5000mA, that's more like it. Cheers. Power to the people !

My 10,000 mAh will completely charge my smartphone in 1 hour. It has enough capacity to do this 2 times. That means it's useful for 2 hours, however a full battery on my phone will normally last me all day.

More mAh are needed by tablet users to get the same result as I have with my phone.

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2018 at 7:19 PM, Soneva said:

Check in online is still useful, if you want to pre select/change seat.   Also, if you are running late, it is certainly advisable to check in online.  

You will still have to check bags at the counter, so no real time saving however.  

There are some pretty good food and beverage outlets inside of security.  Some will also sell take away that can be brought on board.  Drinks purchased within security at the airport are fine to bring onboard.

Don't you get all the non alcoholic drinks you want free? Id I just ask the nice cabin crew people.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Don't you get all the non alcoholic drinks you want free? Id I just ask the nice cabin crew people.

Asking the nice cabin crew for free drinks won't get you anything on many airlines these days. This is the era of low cost, no-frills, pay for everything travel.

7 minutes ago, Argus Tuft said:

Asking the nice cabin crew for free drinks won't get you anything on many airlines these days. This is the era of low cost, no-frills, pay for everything travel.

I have never been refused any free drinks of orange juice.

• Like 1