Tyres

wgdanson

1 hour ago, transam said:

I am very happy to have a tin wheel spare because no one will nick it.

There is a naughty boy business out there that nick the alloy spares to sell a set.

Our daughter had her spare nicked off her Fortuner...:sad:

Would like to know how they nicked the spare off a Tuna??? because you have to open the tail gate to get to the wind down hole. Unlike the truck that's open to the elements. Unless of cause they forced open the tail gate not easy as it has an electric set up with not an ounce of room to even get a crowbar in. Then again they could have used a power grinder but that might have brought a bit of attention to them doing it.

Have heard of Farm lumps spares being nicked but never a Tuna. On my F/T I fitted a lock system just in case.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Keep in mind that tires do not NEED rotation. It's simply a recommendation and swapping left/right on the same axle is the easiest option of all. Cross-swapping between front and back axles is for enthusiasts only and getting the spare wheel involved in 'musical wheels' is for the purists.

Correction... ignoring any tire rotation option is easiest.

Why then, do most vehicle and tyre manufacturers recommend it.

• Sad 1

Just now, wgdanson said:

Why then, do most vehicle and tyre manufacturers recommend it.

From what I remember the tyres wear evenly during there use because of cambering of roads and different rear suspension set-ups to front.

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

From what I remember the tyres wear evenly during there use because of cambering of roads and different rear suspension set-ups to front.

And that is EXACTLY WHY you should rotate them. The rears are 'flat' on the road whereas the front ones wear differently due to steering. There is more camber on the left had side of the road than the right, so the left tyre also wear differently.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

And that is EXACTLY WHY you should rotate them. The rears are 'flat' on the road whereas the front ones wear differently due to steering. There is more camber on the left had side of the road than the right, so the left tyre also wear differently.

All I do is look for power steering scuff, when the rubber edge gets low l stick them on the rear..

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

For sure also correct PSI, keeping out the sun when practically possible.

At every service I have to tell Toyota to put 29 psi in my tyres instead of the usual 35. And only drive at night ! lol

Edited by wgdanson
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

So they shouldn't need changing then, unless they've been hammered..

I wasn't disputing that, I was pointing out only that his tyres were not only 16 months old as he claimed when he was having a go at the dealer.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

I wasn't disputing that, I was pointing out only that his tyres were not only 16 months old as he claimed when he was having a go at the dealer.

Let's get it right. The tyres were made in October 2015, I bought them in Dec 2016, and was told, by the dealer, that they have now, April 2018, expired.

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Let's get it right. The tyres were made in October 2015, I bought them in Dec 2016, and was told, by the dealer, that they have now, April 2018, expired.

Geez...yes, let's get what I was saying right!  You said that the tyres were only 16 months old, ("...the tyres, which are 16 months old..."), but they weren't, they were 3 years old this year, that's the only point that I was making.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1

Thought I better change the tyres on my truck ,when

I was blowing up the tyre,the valve snapped off,took

it to tyre place,and he said tyres are 12 years old !,

they still had plenty of tread on them as dont use

the truck much, but on close examination they

were full of small cracks.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MuntyC0re said:

Well there are many honest car service. You were not lucky to meet some fraud. Last time when I changed tyres I appealed to Tech Drive car workshop. I have problems with vibration and the machenic said that I needed wheel alignment. So I did.

Did you mean wheel balance...?