Tyres

wgdanson

Took my 2012 Vigo for 150,000 km service to Toyota in Phitsanulok, as every time on schedule. Asked, as always, for tyres to be rotated as shown in the handbook, and actually put little numbered stickers on each wheel. After 10 minutes the guy who spoke nit-noy English came to me and said 'Cannot change wheels' and took me to see the date stamp on the tyres, which are 16 months old, 50,000 kms on them. He said the tyres had expired as the date was 2015, to which I muttered 'bo..ocks' or words to that effect. Googled tyre markings and showed him that the date is the manufacturing date and that they should be OK for 4,5 years after that. he just shrugged and said OK. When the vehicle came back, I checked the wheels, had they done it correctly.....once again bo..ocks. Sent it back to swap front wheels over L- R. I asked why they do not do it on ALL vehicles as it says in handbook......NEVER DO was the reply. Oh yes, they charge Bht 330 to swap them over, even though they take the wheels off to clean the brake dust away. Rant over. My truck is running like a dream with new timing belts etc. 

• Like 1

The bloke in my local bike shop put the new brake cable on before the gear cable one time.

It took me a lot of fannying about adjusting the gear shift, some pliers, a bit of damage to the gear cable and quite frankly, some language not suitable for mixed company before I figured out what the problem was.

But back on topic, I've now got Schwalbe Marathons front and back, and I've not had a puncture in over 4,000 km.  I had to tell the bloke in the shop to make sure the labels lined up with the valve holes, though.

EDIT: At least he didn't put the tyres on backwards

Edited by StreetCowboy

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

...took me to see the date stamp on the tyres, which are 16 months old, 50,000 kms on them. He said the tyres had expired as the date was 2015...

You may have bought the tyres 16 months ago but they are three years old this year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Most tyres have 10 year life span from made date e.g. Michelin.

That said conditions determine the change time which on inspection of a tyre it's usually easy to make that decision.

Doesn't make his tyres any younger!

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

That said conditions determine the change time which on inspection of a tyre it's usually easy to make that decision.

I suspect the Toyota man was trying to say, three years since made, need new ones, and we happen to have a promotion at the moment. Of course, tyres on Thais cars wear out much quicker because the over-inflate them.

16 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Had a puncture on one of my tyres on my little Suzuki Swift, so took the car in to get that fixed and also to rotate the tires as they had done 22,000 km at the time.

I had no idea about the date stamp (jeez, in my younger days a car tyre wasn't changed until the tread was damn near bald and that could have been 10 years or thereabouts!), until the guy showed me that they were manufactured in 2012 and due for a change (five years), however looking at the condition of them, I really couldn't agree with it.

Having said that, the puncture was the second one I'd had in that particular tyre and although they had fixed it with a plug before, I wasn't keen on having the same tyre "plugged" twice, so I bought a pair of new Goodyear tyres to go on the front, whilst they took the front tyres and put them on the back, so a bit of a compromise with which I was happy.
Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:
Had a puncture on one of my tyres on my little Suzuki Swift, so took the car in to get that fixed and also to rotate the tires as they had done 22,000 km at the time.

I had no idea about the date stamp (jeez, in my younger days a car tyre wasn't changed until the tread was damn near bald and that could have been 10 years or thereabouts!), until the guy showed me that they were manufactured in 2012 and due for a change (five years), however looking at the condition of them, I really couldn't agree with it.

Having said that, the puncture was the second one I'd had in that particular tyre and although they had fixed it with a plug before, I wasn't keen on having the same tyre "plugged" twice, so I bought a pair of new Goodyear tyres to go on the front, whilst they took the front tyres and put them on the back, so a bit of a compromise with which I was happy.

So what happens when they need rotating at the next service, 1-2-3-4 (LF- RF- RR _LR) becomes 4-3-1-2.

35 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Meaning? Do un-used tyres degrade so much on the shelf?

Meaning that the tyres are three years old this year, not 16 months old as you claimed...

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

...the tyres, which are 16 months old...

And, yes, unused tyres do degrade over time, that is why they all have a manufacturing date on them!

1 hour ago, transam said:

Michelin say 3 years on the shelf is OK, no guarantee ploblem for 9 years including the 3 year shelf relaxing...:stoner:

Good to know, Lazada have Michelin latitudes at 3K a tyre, 235/55/17s. Fired off a q to the outfit selling them on date made, still waiting. As for tyre rotation, if you have a trolley jack or even use the vehicle one you could do it yourself. Good exercise and keep you out of the bar for a bit.

4 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

Good to know, Lazada have Michelin latitudes at 3K a tyre, 235/55/17s. Fired off a q to the outfit selling them on date made, still waiting. As for tyre rotation, if you have a trolley jack or even use the vehicle one you could do it yourself. Good exercise and keep you out of the bar for a bit.

Would you not need TWO jacks.......................not if you are using the spare. But Toyota will not include the spare as it is on a steel rim and will not match the alloys.  Cannot do it with a trolley jack as you need to lift a front and a back wheel at the same time.

Edited by wgdanson

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Would you not need TWO jacks.......................not if you are using the spare. But Toyota will not include the spare as it is on a steel rim and will not match the alloys.  Cannot do it with a trolley jack as you need to lift a front and a back wheel at the same time.

Depends on what model Toyo you have. My Tuna has the same rim/tyre for spare as the rest of the wheels.  

2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Depends on what model Toyo you have. My Tuna has the same rim/tyre for spare as the rest of the wheels.  

Yeah we know Fred your HiSo so your comments are invalid for us truck guys. :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah we know Fred your HiSo so your comments are invalid for us truck guys. :laugh:

What you seem to have forgotten is that not all peeps in Thailand have to drive a farm truck, with a get you home tin wheel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, fredob43 said:

What you seem to have forgotten is that not all peeps in Thailand have to drive a farm truck, with a get you home tin wheel.

And with the arrival of fredo's "lump", the thread lurches off-topic... again.

12 hours ago, fredob43 said:

I am very happy to have a tin wheel spare because no one will nick it.

There is a naughty boy business out there that nick the alloy spares to sell a set.

Our daughter had her spare nicked off her Fortuner...:sad:

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Our daughter had her spare nicked off her Fortuner...

Another mostly unspoken downside of owning Thailand's best-selling SUV?

Bought a set of 4, virtually new, dealership-to-tire shop Ranger PX2 rims for my 3 year-old Ranger PX for 2000 baht last month. For an extra 10,000 baht, I got the almost-new rubber bits that fit around them as well.

18 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Correction... ignoring any tire rotation option is easiest.

Reminds me, Toyota main dealer rotating our Yaris wheels which had upgraded rims & one-way directional tyres. :laugh:

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Haha 1