Looking to rent a one-bedroom with a kitchen in Chiang Mai

I visited Chiang Mai in March and confirmed that I would like to live there for at least 3 months. I stayed in hostels in the Old City, Santitham, and Nimman areas. In the Nimman area I stayed in a studio for 2 nights in one of those Palm Springs or similar condos, etc.

I liked it and would probably want to rent a place there. Does anyone have a suggestion, or link so that I can avoid any additional fees that are not necessary for those in the know?

Or can you recommend some other place? I'm kind of looking for a housing situation where I will be able to have air conditioning, very few mosquitoes in my area, a nearby supermarket (even if it's 30 minutes on foot), and the kind of quiet needed to where I can write a novel if I so chose to.

If this not the correct place for this post, please move it to the correct message board. Thank you for your help.

For recommendations, maybe state what you are looking for, furnished or not, hotel facilities like linen and cleaning, internet provided etc. Lots of Condominiums will want a longer lease than 3 months and even then you need to get services on in your name (internet,cable TV, electricity etc). A hotel provides everything, but maybe not a kitchen.

For a 3 month stay you are looking for something in the middle between a hotel and a condominium.

It sounds like you want a serviced apartment.

Budget?

If you want to live like a Thai you can get a room in a Thai mansion block for under 5k a month, it will have a shower of sorts and cooking area comprising a one or two burner gas ring - some have air, many have fans, some have mossie screens. If you want to live in one of these, look in any area where the Thai lives, anywhere you see multi-floor dormitory style buildings, they are everywhere.

If you want something more sophisticated you're probably into a studio apt. that will vary in size and quality - expect to pay between 11k and 20k although anything without a lease may not be easy.

Top end is a one bed apt with full western kitchen etc, expect to pay up to 30k (in my area)

Which do you want?

Perhaps consider a long stay in a hotel, ask for a monthly rate.

Edited by simoh1490

8 minutes ago, InterestedSugoya said:

My budget is about $600 USD per month. When I mentioned this to others they think that that's too expensive. I'm looking for a three to six-month setup.

The (Thai) world is your oyster, just decide which type of accommodation you want.

I am an American (USA) and this year I already spent 3 weeks in Thailand. I will probably be going back mid-October and staying for a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of six months (that's the plan that I have). Temporary Visa-wise, I'm not sure how many days I'm allowed to be in the country during a 365-day period, but I guess I can just leave for like a week or 2 to somewhere else in Southeast Asia and come back, right?

Also, I would like to stay in the nimman area. Do you guys know how well or poorly this area fairs air quality-wise when Chiang Mai's air quality suffers (due to burning / pollution)?

Just now, InterestedSugoya said:

I am an American (USA) and this year I already spent 3 weeks in Thailand. I will probably be going back mid-October and staying for a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of six months (that's the plan that I have). Temporary Visa-wise, I'm not sure how many days I'm allowed to be in the country during a 365-day period, but I guess I can just leave for like a week or 2 to somewhere else in Southeast Asia and come back, right?

Also, I would like to stay in the nimman area. Do you guys know how well or poorly this area fairs air quality-wise when Chiang Mai's air quality suffers (due to burning / pollution)?

The "burning season" in Thailand is not long, it ends any time around now or as soon as the rains come, pollution for the rest of the year is mainly dominated by vehicle traffic which is always higher in the city than in rural areas - nimman is in the city and on a busy commuter route..

As far as renting a place, do you guys assume I can just talk to the lady at the front desk of one of these condos and go from there? 

It's best to do it when I'm in the country, as opposed to before arriving, right?

Lastly, is there a Farang price and a Thai price per apartment, or is it basically the same?

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2018 at 1:03 AM, Airalee said:

This is just a real estate agency, right? Is there anyone that can help provide me with the # to the actual office on-site?

3 minutes ago, InterestedSugoya said:

This is just a real estate agency, right? Is there anyone that can help provide me with the # to the actual office on-site?

Just click on the “contact us” tab at the top of the listing and all their info will be there.  The price will most likely be the same as it was for the units I have rented in the past.  The office (juristic person) at the condo will expect the same commission from the owner.  Usually one months rent.

Edited by Airalee

Appreciate your reply. I guess what I was trying to see was if there was a way to cut out the middleman, and to go through the building itself. Find a way where I could deal with somebody that was only in charge of that property and not an agency that is in charge of a whole bunch of properties all throughout Chiang Mai.

2 hours ago, InterestedSugoya said:

Appreciate your reply. I guess what I was trying to see was if there was a way to cut out the middleman, and to go through the building itself. Find a way where I could deal with somebody that was only in charge of that property and not an agency that is in charge of a whole bunch of properties all throughout Chiang Mai.

No...it will be the same as all the condos (individual units) are privately owned.  Unless you can find a way to contact the owner directly (highly doubtful) you will either have to go through the juristic person or through one of the agencies.

4 hours ago, Airalee said:

No...it will be the same as all the condos (individual units) are privately owned.  Unless you can find a way to contact the owner directly (highly doubtful) you will either have to go through the juristic person or through one of the agencies.

Ok, thank you for further clarifying.