New SCB Card always requires PIN

Hello. Got a new Bank Card from SCB. nothing special just the normal one to use at the ATM. 

Now I have the problem that I always need to use the pin to verify payments, like one gas stations. Big C even told me I can't use this card. Everything worked fine with my old card. Do I miss something here?

I'm finding that not everyone is requiring a pin to be entered, Tesco Lotus is still just a signature that they don't bother to check, some of the big hardware stores are asking for both, a pin and a signature, I wish they would all switch to pins, much more secure.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Is it a big problem giving a pin?

At the minute it can be, because many businesses have not upgraded their credit card terminals.

In places like the UK the terminal is now in two parts. The customer has one part on the shop counter next to them. The customer inserts their card into the terminal and enters the pin themselves.

With the old fashioned one part machines, the machine is often in an inaccessible, staff only location.

How would you enter your pin at the BTS, for example? Walk through the ticket barriers and into the office?

In some pubs you would have to walk behind the bar.

I'm sure the terminals will be replaced, but in the interim it might get a bit messy.

Bangkok Bank Union Pay cards (unpopular subject) have always required this added security step and those places that accept just hand you their normal machine to enter your code.  If other banks are going to this system expect merchants will indeed by changing over to remote keypads.  

11 hours ago, CanNot said:

Now I have the problem that I always need to use the pin to verify payments, like one gas stations. Big C even told me I can't use this card. Everything worked fine with my old card. Do I miss something here?

Old card, no chip : New card, chip?

new card = chip and pin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

Never use them ...cash man me.

I would imagine that the process is a precaution to protect YOUR money?

Yes credit card transaction in Thailand are nothing like in Australia.  I usually pay cash at a supermarket for food when at home, you will not get a room at a hotel in Aus if you don't have a credit card and lots of other things.  Aus Embassy in Bangkok requires only credit cards for payments.  Almost everything else Aus is  "payWave".  That is you just wave you card over the pay machine for anything under $100, ( pin for more then $100.) if you loose your card the banks will indemnify you against fraudulent use of the card (takes about 6 months to sort it out? best to give up)...I have have several credit cards and debit cards from 3 different banks.  Lately they are putting requirements on them that if I don't make at least 5 credit purchase transaction per month the interest that I get will be reduced. 

Australia is moving to a cashless society can you imagine that happening in Thailand.  Last month I bough 5  99 cent books from Amazon Books on one card.  Quite a good read.  It means the interest remains at 2.8% per year instead of being reduce to 1.4%.  It means if you don't make the required number of purchase per month it will cost you money..

.My old Dad (from WW1) used to always say "when you buy something, you pay for it when you get it, not before, not after but when you get it".  Progress dictates that this time honoured practice goes out the window...Goodby cruel world I'm off to join the Circus...opp's not many Circuses still in the World now???

Edited by David Walden
Your web site does bounce around a bit

Strange. Most businesses here are seemingly behind the curve with utilising card readers for use with biometric cards, the only type that require the pin number. Neither of my Thai cards has that feature, so I would only have used my GBP card for such a transaction.

1 hour ago, Pungdo said:

I'm finding that not everyone is requiring a pin to be entered, Tesco Lotus is still just a signature that they don't bother to check, some of the big hardware stores are asking for both, a pin and a signature, I wish they would all switch to pins, much more secure.

And some require neither. 

39 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

utilising card readers for use with biometric cards,

Can you detail that?

Never seen that a bank would take fingerprints, eye scan or whatever?

What is biometric about these cards?

I would be more than happy if PIN is mandatory in any case.

Edited by KhunBENQ

36 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

And some require neither. 

It has been discussed repeatedly that there seems to a be a limit below which no security is required whatsoever.

And now compare that with the latest hype in the west:

VISA PayWave, up to 20 Euro per transaction, 150 Euro per day without any security/identification.

They want to make cashless payment easier and easier until cash can be abolished, total control.

Edited by KhunBENQ

3 hours ago, Patanawet said:

Some stores (Villa as an example) don't even ask for signature if it is below 1500 on my SCB debit card.

Yeap, it's called low ticket value purchase....absolutely no signature or PIN required.   For Mastercard it seems to be anything below Bt1500 and for Visa it can be either anything below Bt700 or below Bt1500.  All depends on the merchant is they want to implement.  Quite a few merchants I frequent here in Bankgok have adopted this approach like Tops, Foodland, and others.

Fast and easy payment overrides security.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pib said:

Am I right in thinking that:

1. If you have a Thai credit card, and

2. It is stolen/cloned and used fraudulently

The holder is responsible for all charges incurred before it is reported stolen?

If so then it's better for the merchants to have no security. It speeds things up and where is the downside for them?

7 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Am I right in thinking that:

1. If you have a Thai credit card, and

2. It is stolen/cloned and used fraudulently

The holder is responsible for all charges incurred before it is reported stolen?

If so then it's better for the merchants to have no security. It speeds things up and where is the downside for them?

Below is a typical statement found on Thai credit card application forms....below is a quote from the Bangkok Bank credit card application form.

I agree to be responsible for any debts incurred during the period the credit card is lost or stolen until I have notified the Bank to suspend the use of my credit card in accordance with the terms and conditions governing the use of credit card.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Well it's inconvenient. At gas stations I need leave the car and squese me in the small booth to type in the pin. At homepro I need walk behind the counter for a refund and to type in my pin. All those small things,  I just feel the stores are not ready. From other countries im used that this device's are wireless. Here there are tight on the cashier counter and it feels not meant to be used by customer. 

Edited by CanNot

10 hours ago, Pib said:

Yeap, it's called low ticket value purchase....absolutely no signature or PIN required.   For Mastercard it seems to be anything below Bt1500 and for Visa it can be either anything below Bt700 or below Bt1500.  All depends on the merchant is they want to implement.  Quite a few merchants I frequent here in Bankgok have adopted this approach like Tops, Foodland, and others.

In Australia "payWave" is available with nearly all credit cards, Visa, Mastercard and a hundred others.  Even MacDonalds, BurgerKing ( Hungrey Jacks), at the Doctor's, Post office, all restaurants, all supermarkets, just about everywhere, most businesses do not like cash anymore.  Public transport in Aus is almost cashless you need a card with credit on it. The credit card limit without a pin is Aus $100 or in Thai presently Bt2400, you just wave it over the machine.  I tried to buy a bed at Harvey Normans a large retail outlet in Aus on a Sunday with cash.  They asked me to take the cash back and use my credit card to pay and gave me an extra 5% discount for doing so.  Some years ago in Chiang Mia staying at a flash hotel I offered to pay the bill with cash, they insisted I use my credit card and at that time there was a 40% discount for using Viva Credit Cards, the bill was hundreds of dollars cheaper with the card...TIT.

On 4/24/2018 at 2:30 AM, David Walden said:

In Australia "payWave" is available with nearly all credit cards, Visa, Mastercard and a hundred others.  Even MacDonalds, BurgerKing ( Hungrey Jacks), at the Doctor's, Post office, all restaurants, all supermarkets, just about everywhere, most businesses do not like cash anymore.  Public transport in Aus is almost cashless you need a card with credit on it. The credit card limit without a pin is Aus $100 or in Thai presently Bt2400, you just wave it over the machine.  I tried to buy a bed at Harvey Normans a large retail outlet in Aus on a Sunday with cash.  They asked me to take the cash back and use my credit card to pay and gave me an extra 5% discount for doing so.  Some years ago in Chiang Mia staying at a flash hotel I offered to pay the bill with cash, they insisted I use my credit card and at that time there was a 40% discount for using Viva Credit Cards, the bill was hundreds of dollars cheaper with the card...TIT.

Interesting link info from Australia "payWave" credit card transactions system.    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-26/tap-and-go-fees-on-rise-as-convenience-drives-up-costs/9691550

• 4 weeks later...

Quick follow up. Been at Tesco extra and tried to pay with the new Scb card and on the cashier they told me the system don't accept this card. Basically same as big c. I went to my Scb branch and they confirmed the new card has addition security features big C and Tesco not support and I have to wait until they update there cashier system.