Mini Tractor

Manassas

I want to work on some fruit orchard land we have. Need to cut weeds and do general hauling and digging. The big Kubota is too big to maneuver and a garden tractor is too small to do the job. Both Kubota (1000 series) and John Deere make a light tractor that would be perfect. Small but good horsepower. Options include a mower and even mini front end loader and back hoe. Perfect for clearing drainage ditches and maintaining the property.

But neither light tractors are imported to Thailand. The Kubota dealer even said that many people request the 1000 series, but the company just decided the market is too small to bother with. Has anybody found an alternative to a light tractor? I've seen posts where some people just build their own mini tractor.

John Deere offers the 3036 series. Is that small enough? Unfortunately I don't see a mower deck nor a backhoe.

https://www.deere.co.th/en/tractors/3e-series-compact-utility-tractors/3036e-compact-utility-tractor/

Yanmar also offers smaller tractors, but I don't know about quality. A 1 year/1000 hour warranty would have me concerned though. 

https://www.yanmar.com/th/agri/cultivator/tractor/

Kubota does offer the B2140Narrow which is ~20 cm narrower than the BX1880. Appears to be about 1/2 a meter longer in the wheelbase though.

• Like 1

You can get plenty of small 18-25 hp tractors, second-hand imports from Japan some are 20 years old some are newer.

prices are from about 80k-about180k.

You can get loaders fitted not easy, second-hand ones fitted 40k, you can get rear mounted grass slashers, good enough for fruit orchards 20k. 

I do not know where you are,I am in central Lopburi we have 2  tractor dealer with all of the above a lot of machinery dealers are in Chonburi, look at TV's "Tractor with 4 hydraulic connectors", thread, they are some links to machinery dealers that sell small imported  tractors and equipment.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, dave_boo said:

John Deere offers the 3036 series. Is that small enough? Unfortunately I don't see a mower deck nor a backhoe.

https://www.deere.co.th/en/tractors/3e-series-compact-utility-tractors/3036e-compact-utility-tractor/

Yanmar also offers smaller tractors, but I don't know about quality. A 1 year/1000 hour warranty would have me concerned though. 

https://www.yanmar.com/th/agri/cultivator/tractor/

Kubota does offer the B2140Narrow which is ~20 cm narrower than the BX1880. Appears to be about 1/2 a meter longer in the wheelbase though.

Thanks. I looked at the Kubota 2000 narrow. It comes close, but still a bit big and a bit heavier than I was looking for.

There are so many small farm/garden plots I don't get why they won't import the minis. I wonder if its some sort of tax thing.

12 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

They are the tractors I was writing about, the  B2410 was manufactured from 2000-2005.

The L1-22 sunshine manufactured from  1983-1985, these tractors have a semi-automatic transmission.

Around here the Hinomoto E23 is popular along with the  Iseki TS 22 , older tractors they would be about 90k  to buy, and spare parts are not a problem.

The Kubota L1 sunshine series are not so popular, for some reason, they are more expensive to import into Thailand.

• Like 1

Photos from my local machinery dealer, all the tractors were imported from Japan.

The one with the loader on is a Kubota LI-24,24 hp they wanted about 320k for it, about the best tractor there with new rear tires, and only 1250 hours on the clock, but I think that is expensive, the woman they said the loader alone was the best part of 70k,it looked a genuine Kubota loader, the loader tractor next to this one was an L1-26,a 26hp Kubota.

They had a Kubota  L 22 tractor 4 wd with a loader on, well on the tatty side they wanted 200k for it .

The two smaller tractors are 14and 15 hp, the grass topers are 20k, the smaller tractors should be able to drive them, would work well in an orchard.

These 14-15hp tractors, fitting a loader or a backhoe would be diffulcult, the tractor hydraulic pump would not have the capacity to work a loader, they are available, but the lifting capacity would not be good.

This place is not cheap, the only dealer of its type in the area, and they think they have a monopoly. 

RIMG0597.thumb.JPG.d7559aa8b9fcdd862364f2c216c6d903.JPG

RIMG0596.JPG

RIMG0601.JPG

RIMG0602.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for the pics Kickstart. I've heard other people talking about used imports from Japan. I'm looking for one in my  area. I would settle just for a big garden tractor that could cut grass and pull a trailer, but they are almost expensive as a light tractor.

Here's the Kubota BX23 I found on their website. With all the small farm operations in Thailand I think this model could be popular.

BX23

On 4/29/2018 at 12:12 AM, djayz said:

The Kubota BX23 could be exactly what I'm looking for my 3.5 rai garden! Great little machine! 

I agree. I could get this between trees, clear drainage ditches and mow. The end loader is light, but better than me doing jobs by hand. 

A lot of people in my area work 4 rai or less. The BX series is the perfect size. I'm really surprised it's not imported.

• Like 1

Let me try again to upload the photo

bx23.png.408e5fcb2a64ae4d25b511842346701c.png
Looks perfect for all duties in an orchard.
Is there really nothing similar available in Thailand?
I once saw a brochure about a Thai-made multi purpose tractor in blue-white color.
You could attach up to 20 different tools.
I'll look for the brochure at home.
  • Like 1

CLW, let me know if you find anything. I surfed the internet, found the BX23 and went straight to the Kubota dealer. I was disappointed they couldn't import. Same with John Deere's similar model.

I agree that this machine is just about perfect for a DIYer working a few rai. But I've never seen anything like it in my area.

• Like 1

CLW, let me know if you find anything. I surfed the internet, found the BX23 and went straight to the Kubota dealer. I was disappointed they couldn't import. Same with John Deere's similar model.

I agree that this machine is just about perfect for a DIYer working a few rai. But I've never seen anything like it in my area.
Found it.
It's called Multione.
The Thai importer and distributor can be found here:

http://ultimus.co.th
  • Like 2

I would  say the Kubota or the JD cannot be imported into Thailand because of Thai tax laws? , you could not class it as a tractor, higher tax bracket, I would say Kubota and JD  have looked at importing this machine but it would be to expensive and only a few would be sold.

And with Kubota tractors being made here, not certain but smaller JD's are/were  Yanmar tractors painted green, certainly Yanmar engines,  are they made here in Thailand, for export ?could the import of the same brand into  the  country command a higher tax bracket, 

I know big John Deer tractors are imported, and they are not cheap compared to a home built Kubota.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, CLW said:
On 5/2/2018 at 6:18 AM, Manassas said:
Thanks. I'll try to contact them.

And could you find out something?

The website is down. I've asked a friend in BKK to check it out. I'll report back when I hear something.

On 5/11/2018 at 2:04 PM, CLW said:
On 5/2/2018 at 6:18 AM, Manassas said:
Thanks. I'll try to contact them.

And could you find out something?

Ultimus and Multione seem to be defunct. At least I couldn't find a live contact. Too bad, their machine looked interesting.

Looked more at Yanmar. They have a line of great compact tractors made in USA and selling for about B60,000.  Unfortunately, I don't believe they are imported to Thailand. 

yanmar.jpg

Went by my local Yanmar dealer. They said they couldn't get Yanmar named compact tractors, but could get a subsidiary brand called Solis. It's a compact with 26hp and a variety of attachments available. Didn't have one in stock but had photos of one recently sold to an expat. 

The Solis might be a bit big and heavy for what I need, but may work for someone else. Now I'm looking at used imports or homemade machines.

15 minutes ago, Manassas said:

Went by my local Yanmar dealer. They said they couldn't get Yanmar named compact tractors, but could get a subsidiary brand called Solis. It's a compact with 26hp and a variety of attachments available. Didn't have one in stock but had photos of one recently sold to an expat. 

The Solis might be a bit big and heavy for what I need, but may work for someone else. Now I'm looking at used imports or homemade machines.

Solis looks like a nice machine... Doesn't look too big for fruit farms/small plantations..

Did they give you a price for them ??

8 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Solis looks like a nice machine... Doesn't look too big for fruit farms/small plantations..

Did they give you a price for them ??

I didn't press them on best price, but the tractor itself was about B280,000 and then attachments extra. 

22 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Thought it would be in the 300k region.. Mad, when in the US the Yanmar is selling for 60k !!!

Agree. I'd get one in a minute if priced in the 60k range, but 5x that is too much. I assume the price is due to taxes. I hope somebody will rethink the taxes or else start producing a compact model domestically.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Manassas said:

Agree. I'd get one in a minute if priced in the 60k range, but 5x that is too much. I assume the price is due to taxes. I hope somebody will rethink the taxes or else start producing a compact model domestically.

Me too, 60k is a good buy but 300k just for my 2.5 rai plot is not gonna happen, especially when you add on the cost of attachments.. Pushing my Honda 8.5km to mow the grass is great exercise :)

• Like 1

On 4/28/2018 at 4:20 PM, Manassas said:

I would settle just for a big garden tractor that could cut grass and pull a trailer, but they are almost expensive as a light tractor.

There are some small Kubota's around. I've never seen a new one thought. They use a similar single cylinder thumper as a mechanical buffalo. They have PTO for the grass cutter. Electric start etc. They don't have hydraulics? They are as you say like a larger garden tractor. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

There are some small Kubota's around. I've never seen a new one thought. They use a similar single cylinder thumper as a mechanical buffalo. They have PTO for the grass cutter. Electric start etc. They don't have hydraulics? They are as you say like a larger garden tractor. 

This would be ideal for the OP. They are called KRT 140. Single cylinder 14 HP diesel, RWD only. Single speed PTO. They do have hydraulics for a front plough and the rear 3 point hitch which will lift utensils like a 3 blade plough and grass cutter. Grass cutter will cut 1m wide. Kubota stopped making them about 3-4 years ago. They are quite popular now they've stopped production, but Kubota dealers can still get S/H models. Prices vary between 140-180k depending on condition and ancillaries.

We have one just for cutting grass on 64 rai. It replaced a Ford 4000 once all the heavy duty jobs were finished on the farm. Brilliant bit of kit. And i'm the sole driver/maintenance mechanic...

Google Kubota KRT 140.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
8 hours ago, djayz said:

Hi Manassass. Any luck yet finding your tractor? 

Just asking out of curiosity as I'd like/need a small one too. 

Not yet. I keep my eye open should something become available. But for now it's cheaper to use the brush cutters and hire a couple local guys to help. 

Just for your information.

Small John Deere tractors are actually built by Yanmar for the world market in Thailand and have the same chassis and engines as the Yanmar.

Yanmar diesel engines are very strong and one of the oldest small diesel manufacturers in the world.

A small Yanmar 3 series tractor is very good.

I would think you would be going for the B series Kubota tractor for your purposes.

Buying a tractor with the back hoe is a bit pointless unless you are really doing a lot of landscaping.

Cheaper otherwise to pay for some Thai labour or hire a proper Kubota digger with driver for 3,000 bt for a long day including fuel.

Edited by Cashboy