Wounded soldier gets world's first penis transplant in U.S. operation

webfact

Wounded soldier gets world's first penis transplant in U.S. operation

By Ian Simpson

2018-04-24T074202Z_1_LYNXMPEE3N0H6_RTROPTP_3_USA-ELECTION-CARSON.JPG

FILE PHOTO - The John Hopkins Hospital is seen at a area near the downtown of Baltimore, Maryland November 4, 2015. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

(Reuters) - A soldier wounded by an improvised explosive device in Afghanistan has received the world's first complete penis and scrotum transplant, officials at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore said on Monday.

A team of nine plastic surgeons and two urological surgeons operated on the veteran, whose nationality was not disclosed, for 14 hours on March 26, the hospital said in a statement.

The team transplanted an entire penis, a scrotum without testicles and a partial abdominal wall from a deceased donor. The wounded man, who requested anonymity, has recovered from the surgery and is expected to be discharged from the hospital this week.

“We are hopeful that this transplant will help restore near-normal urinary and sexual functions for this young man,” Dr. W.P. Andrew Lee, the head of plastic and reconstructive surgery at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, said in the statement.

The soldier called his injury from an improvised explosive device "mind-boggling" and difficult to accept. Details of the incident were not released.

“When I first woke up (after surgery), I felt finally more normal ... (with) a level of confidence as well. Confidence ... like finally I’m OK,” he said in the statement.

Johns Hopkins surgeons had performed the first U.S. double-arm transplant of two arms on a wounded service member in December.

A transplant in which a body part or tissue is transferred from one individual to another is called vascularised composite allotransplantation. The surgery involves transplanting skin, muscles and tendons, nerves, bone and blood vessels.

Lee said that although it is possible to reconstruct a penis using tissue from other body parts, a prosthesis implant would be necessary to achieve an erection, and that comes with a much higher rate of infection.

In addition, service personnel often do not have enough viable tissue from other parts of their bodies to use because of other injuries, he said.

(Reporting by Ian Simpson in Washington; Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-04-24

Interesting and understandable that he wanted it done. But it doesn't actually function. So this young man basically has the equipment of a very old man that needs an implant to be erect. Details weren't given either about sexual pleasure and orgasms. In any case a tragic injury and I guess this is about as good as it gets in this situation. 

Total respect and awe for this fantastic ground breaking surgery,  11 surgeons took 14 hours. A Vet who was cowardly injured by an IED has been rebuilt on the operating table.

Instead of the usual ignorant and senseless posts on here, we should all be grateful for the huge progress of surgery, it could be one of us next

20 minutes ago, DipStick said:

Total respect and awe for this fantastic ground breaking surgery,  11 surgeons took 14 hours. A Vet who was cowardly injured by an IED has been rebuilt on the operating table.

Instead of the usual ignorant and senseless posts on here, we should all be grateful for the huge progress of surgery, it could be one of us next

since when did mines or other remote bombs become cowardly ?

it is a contemporary weapon

2 minutes ago, poanoi said:

since when did mines or other remote bombs become cowardly ?

it is a contemporary weapon

Set by those who don’t want to face their adversaries, I consider that cowardly

9 minutes ago, DipStick said:

the mana o mana warfare died with the rifle,

today is all about mugging, often with drones remotely controlled,

it has become far and away too lethal to expose yourself

7 minutes ago, poanoi said:

the mana o mana warfare died with the rifle,

today is all about mugging, often with drones remotely controlled,

it has become far and away too lethal to expose yourself

And your point is ? The military man who had his manhood blown off and the thousands with missing limbs were stupid to expose themselves . I wonder what military experience you have apart from computer games ?

4 minutes ago, nausea said:

If I suffered from an injury like this I think I'd just become a ladyboy. Done enough sh**ging anyway, be interesting to see what the other side looked like.

If you want to know what the other side looks like, Google it. 

15 hours ago, DipStick said:

I agree 100% CIA/ military operators of Reaper drones based in California sending anonymous death from above are cowardly. I vote for cage fighting to the death.  Hand to hand with knives. Two men enter one man leaves. Manly stuff. 

15 hours ago, DipStick said:

And your point is ? The military man who had his manhood blown off and the thousands with missing limbs were stupid to expose themselves . I wonder what military experience you have apart from computer games ?

He didn't say that anyone was "stupid to expose themselves", those were your words!  

I'm still curious about what this new penis is all about. It was already stated it won't get erect without an artificial implant. That's bad enough, but does anyone know if he will have sexual pleasure and feeling of orgasm? If not, it's more or less just COSMETIC, isn't it? 

Of course even an only cosmetic organ would be a huge improvement over nothing there. Reminds me of a funny line on the t.v. show Veep from a middle aged character who referred to his penis as only ORNAMENTAL. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I'm still curious about what this new penis is all about. It was already stated it won't get erect without an artificial implant. That's bad enough, but does anyone know if he will have sexual pleasure and feeling of orgasm? If not, it's more or less just COSMETIC, isn't it? 

Of course even an only cosmetic organ would be a huge improvement over nothing there. Reminds me of a funny line on the t.v. show Veep from a middle aged character who referred to his penis as only ORNAMENTAL. 

In the article the surgeons state that they are hopeful the transplant will restore near NORMAL sexual and urinary function. They said that an implant is needed for a penis constructed from a patients OWN tissue but that the chances of infection with an inplant are high. They didn't say an implant was necessary for the transplanted organ.

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Interesting and understandable that he wanted it done. But it doesn't actually function. So this young man basically has the equipment of a very old man that needs an implant to be erect. Details weren't given either about sexual pleasure and orgasms. In any case a tragic injury and I guess this is about as good as it gets in this situation. 

This is not what the article states....

“We are hopeful that this transplant will help restore near-normal urinary and sexual functions for this young man,”

Time will tell

Archived