New Thai law to pave way for same-sex partnerships

webfact

4 hours ago, d2b2 said:

While Thailand is still taking baby steps in committee, the world has moved on. Perhaps the first steps Thailand should take is simply recognizing the marriages of same sex couples performed in other countries. The Thai government has every expectation that the marriages of their citizens will be recognized abroad, they simply do not extend those same rights and privileges to many legally marrried same sex couples residing in Thailand. The countries that do recognize marriage equality should pressure the Thai government by threatening to no longer recognize Thai marriages.

• Argentina (2010)
  • Belgium (2003)
  • Brazil (2013)
  • Canada (2005)
  • Colombia (2016)
  • Denmark (2012)
  • England and Wales (2013)
  • Finland (2015)
  • France (2013)
  • Germany (2017)
  • Iceland (2010)
  • Ireland (2015)
  • Luxembourg (2014)
  • Malta (2017)
  • The Netherlands (2000)
  • New Zealand (2013)
  • Norway (2008)
  • Portugal (2010)
  • Scotland (2014)
  • South Africa (2006)
  • Spain (2005)
  • Sweden (2009)
  • United States (2015)
  • Uruguay (2013)

As there are over 190 countries in the world and your list contains fewer than 30, I'm not sure what you mean when you say "the world has moved on."  And even in my home country of the USA, there are powerful forces seeking to turn back the clock and make same-sex marriage illegal again.  So we should be applauding Thailand for even taking the issue seriously, instead of bashing on them.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

As there are over 190 countries in the world and your list contains fewer than 30, I'm not sure what you mean when you say "the world has moved on."  And even in my home country of the USA, there are powerful forces seeking to turn back the clock and make same-sex marriage illegal again.  So we should be applauding Thailand for even taking the issue seriously, instead of bashing on them.

Pointing out that Thailand has failed to enact any human rights (LGBTQ or otherwise) improvements in 4+ years and suggesting pressure be applied from the international  community is hardly bashing. The article states the previous administration was already acting upon the issue and thatt under the junta the issue is now in committee again. In Thailand, it seems roadmaps to promises are very lengthy and circuitous.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

LGBT "Q"  ?????? where on earth did the "Q" come from ????  Never seen a "Q" on the end before !!!   must be a Quirk of someones imagination !

Close... It means questioning

1 minute ago, d2b2 said:

Pointing out that Thailand has failed to enact any human rights (LGBTQ or otherwise) improvements in 4+ years and suggesting pressure be applied from the international  community is hardly bashing. The article states the previous administration was already acting upon the issue and thatt under the junta the issue is now in committee again. In Thailand, it seems roadmaps to promises are very lengthy and circuitous.

Noted.  I do find Thai people to be more tolerant of the LGBT community in general than most other countries.  But yes, it would be better if the laws reflected that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Same sex marriages just like anything else is OK if no one else is put out in any way, just as long as children are not involved, ie two homosexuals or lesbians getting married then adopting kids is not OK, I won't bother explaining it as any fair minded person will know what I mean.

Wow.  Are you serious?

So you would take me kids off me because am gay?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

It means "horses penis" in hebrew

41 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

It means "horses penis" in hebrew

I am not a bigot, nothing wrong with homosexuals or homosexual weddings as long as they keep their business private. If I was sitting in the company of people and found out that there were a couple of homosexuals in the company, I would be happy to have a conversation with them as long as they were not effeminate.

• Sad 3

Wow! I did not see this one coming. I would have sworn that the present bunch of dinosaurs would keep well away from such (albeit tiptoeing) progressive legislation. Although it is as yet too tentative, it surely is to be welcomed.

I note, however, that the real move towards this was begun under Yingluck's government. That makes sense. I can readily imagine her as being open-minded towards gay+ people, rather than the Jurassic Park inmates currently running the show in Thailand.

By the way, I can't stand this ludicrous, risible LGBIQ blah blah blah nomenclature - just clumsy, ridiculous and inviting mockery. Why not just use the whole alphabet and have done with it, if more letters keep being added by the year?! This long string of letters is daft. Why not talk of 'gay+' or 'lesbian+' ? That is not minimising or 'dissing' anyone; in fact, we are calling them 'Plus'!.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I think possum1931 must win the prize for the largest ignore list on here.

I, for one, are so happy to be a member of it already!  

If there is a way to block comments from such users I wish I knew how it operates

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Seriously...   pathetic.

I double any gay people would be happy to have a conversation with you when you tell them your views about gay people... how they should not be allowed to look after children, or be effeminate etc.  

I would not expect to talk to them about their sexuality, I would want to treat them as normal, and have conversations about, ie football, music, movies etc.

34 minutes ago, d2b2 said:

If there is a way to block comments from such users I wish I knew how it operates

I totally understand your feelings and you have every right to block from your sight any poster on Thaivisa whose views are obnoxious to you. I have done the same myself with some people.

However:

I fully defend Possum's right to express his viewpoints (distasteful though they be to me and many others). We may choose to read his views or not. But he has every right to express his opinion. Fascism comes in many forms - and as soon as we try to stop up the mouth of people whose opinions we don't like, we become fascists. I will have no part of it (I'm not saying D2b2, by the way, that you are behaving in a fascist manner - you are not - please don't misunderstand me: I actually share your sentiments).

The answer is to argue against views we dislike and show why their vision is extremely narrow and unfair.

Anyway, that's my take on the matter. Maybe some people will agree with me - others not. That is our great freedom in a democracy of ideas (which we try to preserve here on Thaivisa!).

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

LOL.  So he is sitting there with his boyfriend and is not supposed to tell you that he is his boyfriend?

Or, that they just got married or are celebrating 20 years of being a couple?

If one acted a bit too effeminate by, for instance, ordering a vodka coke instead of a manly pint of beer you would then get upset and leave?  Or maybe the colour of his shirt was too bright for a straight man?

What a load of nonsense, if you are trying to get me to break forum rules, then it is not going to work, I will not be answering any more posts from you on this topic.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, d2b2 said:

While Thailand is still taking baby steps in committee, the world has moved on. Perhaps the first steps Thailand should take is simply recognizing the marriages of same sex couples performed in other countries. The Thai government has every expectation that the marriages of their citizens will be recognized abroad, they simply do not extend those same rights and privileges to many legally marrried same sex couples residing in Thailand. The countries that do recognize marriage equality should pressure the Thai government by threatening to no longer recognize Thai marriages.

• Argentina (2010)
  • Belgium (2003)
  • Brazil (2013)
  • Canada (2005)
  • Colombia (2016)
  • Denmark (2012)
  • Finland (2015)
  • France (2013)
  • Germany (2017)
  • Iceland (2010)
  • Ireland (2015)
  • Luxembourg (2014)
  • Malta (2017)
  • The Netherlands (2000)
  • New Zealand (2013)
  • Norway (2008)
  • Portugal (2010)
  • Scotland (2014)
  • South Africa (2006)
  • Spain (2005)
  • Sweden (2009)
  • United States (2015)
  • Uruguay (2013)

Yep, the world has go ne mad.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, d2b2 said:

• Argentina (2010)
  • Belgium (2003)
  • Brazil (2013)
  • Canada (2005)
  • Colombia (2016)
  • Denmark (2012)
  • Finland (2015)
  • France (2013)
  • Germany (2017)
  • Iceland (2010)
  • Ireland (2015)