Have you ever been stopped by the police and asked to pay a ticket for driving without a license?

31 minutes ago, thaibreaker said:

Sometimes they do accept a driving license for cars, but in my experience mostly they don`t.

The police are more aware nowadays that your license must include the A. In Pattaya they are quite consistent about that.

Thank you for your comment on my post ?

In Samui, the police are 100% consistent. They will always accept a farang car licence when you are on an automatic bike. 

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes it is simple but you didn't seem to realise in practice holding onto the bike is something they often do

That's because the police station isn't too far away for you/them to go pay their fine and return to collect their keys. Out in the sticks the officers will take with them a table and chair where an NCO will sit and give you a receipt of payment on the spot. No money, then the likelihood is that they will take your motorcycle back to the cop shop on the back of a pickup at the end of their shift and you then have 30 days to go pay the fine and get your bike back. Simple innit?

Edited by Rally123

28 minutes ago, silver sea said:

Thank you for your comment on my post ?

In Samui, the police are 100% consistent. They will always accept a farang car licence when you are on an automatic bike. 

Wonder what will happen if you get in a serious accident.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jvs said:

Thanks for your query on my post.

Your main problem would probably be with the insurance company, who would not pay out on your claim, rather than with the police. 

The big talking point on Samui is not whether you should be allowed to hire and ride a bike with a farang car licence, but how to make everybody wear a crash helmet 100% of the time.

If you have a current abroad licence it is relatively easy. No exams. You just have to provide them with some of the usually sh*t papers. You would think all of those stupid depts (ie: immigration) would know something about database so we and they don't have to enter the same data 30 million times over. 

So where are all the doubting Thomas's that claimed my statement about police receiving 95% of a fine ticket issued was 'false/ nonsense etc etc? And not one who tried to discredit me has 'manned' up and apologised. Their egos must have been really hurt?  goldcup.gif

• Sad 2

Yes a few times for no helmet and once for red light fines.

Many many times for license, insurance and current road tax sticker in car. I’ve always been asked for license when stopped first six months only with US license the had Thai after But checked every stop. But not fined. 

The red light was turning right at light into Udon airport. I was driving and wife’s Uncle was in car to drive it back home. I think I was through

the light but still in intersection. 

Stopped us and told me to pull over to side. Gave US license he said ok go there pay 50O. He didn’t speak English at the time point and 500 baht I figured it out. 

The Uncle who doesn’t speak English motioned for me to wait in car. 

He talked to the officer and officer showed picture of infraction.

Uncle came back to car motioned me to go to the pay table. 

Officer said in perfect English 1000 baht next time tell your friend to keep his big mouth shut. 

Was a little humorous..... I had drank a couple beers prior and just wanted to pay 500 and move on without other issues. 

Forgot to mention my childrens Grandfather a retired LAPD policeman 

who we are still good friends (divorced 40years ago) gave me a lesson 

what to do when a policeman stops you.

He and I were stopped by police 3 times together. Once by Interstate police and city cops and them don’t mix. Father in Law flashes badge and Interstate police asked if he wanted them to write badge number on ticket. 

The other two times when at his lake house when coming from bar. 

Badge out ok go on. A really sensible guy and not a power freak. Once 

In his neighborhood I saw someone breaking the law and pointed. He said not my jurisdiction. 

As as far as I knew he was a Robbery Homicide police. About a year ago looked him up on web and then asked my son who is really close to 

him. Do you know this? Yes but Grandpa won’t talk about it. 

He he was assigned to LAPD SIS most other police knew of SIS. They met a a business park building. 20 highly trained police (only 20). 

Their job was to get the bad or the bad. The Los Angeles paper called them “The Death squad” at least I understood why biker gangs etc. Showed up at the lake. 

Long Story short.... be courteous and don’t push the officer. Most times they’ll let you go. They are people to. 

Ok last thing left the i laws house 1 block away wife is being a pain 

locked it up spun around to take her back to her parents. Cops with lights on my ass stopped at parents house and the police said something and I said it’s none of your business. 

He came out and they said ok. Very very lucky I was 

6 hours ago, jvs said:

Exactly, that when the shit hits the fan

The fact is, everyone will have a scenario with a different outcome, depending of mood of officer, area, type of check point, etc

This is Thailand and everything can be a grey area

You can rent a car on your countries licence but if you are then involved in an accident with no IDP they, can and will, claim your insurance is not valid

I have a Thai licence now (motorbike and car)ever since i got stopped many years ago  and fined for not having an IDP (the fact being its the law)

Rally123 states from a link that 95% goes to the traffic police but are they referring to the police as individuals or traffic police as a department ? This could therefore imply that the officers still receive little or no benefit (hence the tea money at checkpoints) 

I doubt anyone is incorrect in their analogy but a lot depends on different variables

I have to be honest, in that where i come from, the police seem very fair. I can only hope it stays that way

11 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Yes a few times for no helmet and once for red light fines.

Many many times for license, insurance and current road tax sticker in car. I’ve always been asked for license when stopped first six months only with US license the had Thai after But checked every stop. But not fined. 

The red light was turning right at light into Udon airport. I was driving and wife’s Uncle was in car to drive it back home. I think I was through

the light but still in intersection. 

Stopped us and told me to pull over to side. Gave US license he said ok go there pay 50O. He didn’t speak English at the time point and 500 baht I figured it out. 

The Uncle who doesn’t speak English motioned for me to wait in car. 

He talked to the officer and officer showed picture of infraction.

Uncle came back to car motioned me to go to the pay table. 

Officer said in perfect English 1000 baht next time tell your friend to keep his big mouth shut. 

Was a little humorous..... I had drank a couple beers prior and just wanted to pay 500 and move on without other issues. 

You say 'yes', but the answer to OP's question seems to be 'no' for you.

15 hours ago, Rally123 said:

That is totally wrong & BS, and I will accept an apology. 

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30309980

You do understand the traffic police getting 95% is not the same as the police officers getting 95% ?

Just checking, because the normal police officers certainly don't get the 95% they a get a far lower part.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Just checking, because the normal police officers certainly don't get the 95% they a get a far lower part.

That is wrong I can assure you. The Traffic Police and yer run of the mill flat foot get 95% of the ticketed fine issued. If you can prove me wrong I will apologise no problem. 
What you may be better of doing, to get yer correct, info is to befriend a policeman and get  it from source. I did, and do. And please show me your link where it says 'normal police officers certainly don't get the 95%'. Thank you.

PS. This matter has been discussed on TV forum before if you, or any other, cares to check.

Edited by Rally123
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Rally123 said:

That is wrong I can assure you. The Traffic Police and yer run of the mill flat foot get 95% of the ticketed fine issued. If you can prove me wrong I will apologise no problem. 
What you may be better of doing, to get yer correct, info is to befriend a policeman and get  it from source. I did, and do. And please show me your link where it says 'normal police officers certainly don't get the 95%'. Thank you.

Your link proves nothing, as it says it goes to the traffic police.. not the individual officer. I think you understand the difference. 

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Your link proves nothing, as it says it goes to the traffic police.. not the individual officer. I think you understand the difference. 

But the officer belongs to a pool of officers from the station. The ones who don't work front line duties. The police that do traffic stops are not necessarily 'traffic police'. As I said, 'go ask a policeman'.

Edited by Rally123

2 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

But the officer belongs to a pool of officers from the station. The ones who don't work front line duties. The police that do traffic stops are not necessarily 'traffic police'. As I said, 'go ask a policeman'.

As I said your links proves nothing, thank you for agreeing. 

Its quite clear that the police gets money from the traffic stops, but you were claiming 95% on a ticket that is simply not true. As for ask a police officer done that before, they never talked about percentages but about it going in a pool where they got a small percentage from (pool flows up too)

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

I

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

but about it going in a pool where they got a small percentage

ts quite clear that the police gets money from the traffic stops, but you were claiming 95% on a ticket that is simply not true.

Well prove me wrong then. But you can't because it is true. 76 posts and no one has yet come up proving me wrong.   duh.gif

For the last time they get 95% of the ticket issued fine which they then pool with other officers from their station who don't work on front line policing.

40 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

But the officer belongs to a pool of officers from the station. The ones who don't work front line duties. The police that do traffic stops are not necessarily 'traffic police'.

When i get the chance i will ask but in your own statement you say traffic police and your run of the mill flat foot get 95%. Well your run of the mill flat foot officers are not traffic police.

The police are well known to have a poor wage and not known to be wealthy except in the high echelons as it is generally understood that monies are shared on a sliding scale depending on rank

If what you were saying were to be true they would all be very wealthy

You keep asking people to prove you wrong but you have yet to prove yourself right except what you claim to have been told, as your link is inconclusive

It is not a subject that the Thai police would admit to and impossible to find a link to prove you wrong or right

As you have already stated the only way  would be for us as individuals to ask a friendly policeman

I should also add no one has yet to agree with you  which would give credence to your claims 

Edited by Dene16
addition to text

19 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

Well prove me wrong then. But you can't because it is true. 76 posts and no one has yet come up proving me wrong.   duh.gif

For the last time they get 95% of the ticket issued fine which they then pool with other officers from their station who don't work on front line policing.

Please stop derailing the thread.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

Well your run of the mill flat foot officers are not traffic police.

So why do they do authorised traffic stops. Basically, what you are suggesting is a run of the mill officer has no authority to issue a traffic fine.

5 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

If what you were saying were to be true they would all be very wealthy

I ask the same question to myself. If I was a cop and I could boost my wages by issuing tickets, then I'd work non-stop doing so. But you need to ask a policeman why they don't. I can't find a link for that.

5 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

your link is inconclusive

Show me where.

6 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

It is not a subject that the Thai police would admit to and impossible to find a link to prove you wrong or right

Yes it is. The link I posted confirms this.

2 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

Yes it is. The link I posted confirms this

Read my previous comment, it only mentions traffic police most likely as a department. You have already made up your mind and no one is going to change it.

So i think i will leave it like that

Yes, been stopped 4 or 5 times at least. Each time I produced an International Driving Permit, no problemo. One officer asked to see my South Aussie DL also- 2 minutes of close scrutiny (why??) and I was waved on. 

On 4/28/2018 at 11:38 AM, Fruit Trader said:
My dirt bike has no licence plate, tax or lights and plays a healthy 2 stroke tune. Police caught me using a public road and made a 400 Baht request for not carrying my bike licence. I gave them an extra 200 for hot day ice creams.

The fast track paperless fine service is truly amazing here.

So your bike is obnoxiously loud, dangerous at night or in the rain, and you operate it illegally. 

Are just a jerk or have you gone native? 

49 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

So your bike is obnoxiously loud, dangerous at night or in the rain, and you operate it illegally. 

Are just a jerk or have you gone native? 

Absolutely full on road illegal direct from the factory line. What do you think, should I buy a Scooby . 

P.S. I'm am a total jerk and half native. 

Edited by Fruit Trader

Yes, riding a rental bike and had no idea I needed a Thai license. The rental stores do not ask nor tell you about this.

I paid a small fine and soon afterwards got a Thai license, which was not easy as someone else stated. It is an all day affair watching videos and includes a written test that requires a 90% score.

Part of live and learn in Thailand.

• Like 1

I had a thai GF whose family lived in an Issan village. Not many people had licenses. So occasionally the cops would stop them and ask for 100 baht.  One day the cops started asking for 200 baht and a lot of the people went and got licenses.