Mass rally planned against Doi Suthep judges’ residences

rooster59

4 hours ago, YetAnother said:

not sure what 'devine' is, however this is in line with superstition (not dissimilar from religion) that underbellies this place

I do not see what that has to do with the subject?
Ah sorry I understand  its probably an obsession:coffee1:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, neeray said:

Colin, I think with enough protest activity, something has to give. 

I think this protest is great and a sign of the times. Seems to me like many Thais have had all the hierarchy bullshit that they are prepared to taken.

Power to the people !

The final straw on the camel's back?

If I were Thai and lived in Chiang Mai, this scandal would stick in my throat even more than the polluted air I was being forced to breathe through inaction by an administration which has proved itself far more enthusiastic about crushing worthy causes than standing up for them.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

If I were Thai and lived in Chiang Mai, this scandal would stick in my throat even more than the polluted air I was being forced to breathe through inaction by an administration which has proved itself far more enthusiastic about crushing worthy causes than standing up for them.

Here, here. I second your words !

1 hour ago, Brickbat said:

It’s pretty green now after some rain....

it took a simple, humble Gandhi ( most Thais don’t know who he is) to kick the Brits out of his country. So maybe a Gandhi is in the making. Non violence , but blood does get spilt, unfortunately. 

You should research Gandhi. He wasn't so simple or humble, far from it. 

11 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

1000 people protesting against an environmental issue - a worthy cause, and well behaved protesters who wisely sought permission first.

What effect this has, if any, we shall see. If none and they protest again, we'll see if the numbers increase.

But hardly time to break out the red flags and all sing the Internationale now is it?

Also worth noting that this government allowed the Environmental protest. The previous government had a Minister threatening people they'd be arrested and calling them scum for daring to raise environmental concerns. How short memories often are.

48 minutes ago, bubba45 said:

Just bought a house in the States, mostly to avoid all the unknowns (pollution, pesticides, MSG, immigration nazis, etc).

Bye bye. Mind the "knowns" like loonies armed to the teeth shooting as many people as they can; or running them down with vehicles. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Officials also said protesters could face legal action if the housing is demolished

Will the court officials file a complaint against the protesters, and then be the judges to decide the complaint?

Frankly, the best legal action would be for the protest groups that have "standing" file a complaint against Region 5 Court of Appeal Office. Don't petition NACC or the Ombudsman!

As a defendant the Region 5 Court of Appeals should recuse itself from participating in the judicial review of the complaint. Best way to force that recusal is for protesters to file the complaint directly with the Supreme Court. But can the public expect the Supreme Court to judge the case without bias to the Court of Appeals?

4 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

By the headline I thought it was going to be about air pollution...can't even see the mtn...

Nonsense, it has been clear as a bell and fully visible from the east since dawn today.

Nice for a change.

1 hour ago, TKDfella said:

One wonders if other 'groups' are thinking 'well if they can do it...' But of course the protesters mentioned here were not voicing political views. Nevertheless.....

Excellent attempt to discredit the peaceful protestors.  This appears a fruitful line of attack

Godspeed TT leader!

Edited by LomSak27

2 hours ago, bubba45 said:

Just bought a house in the States, mostly to avoid all the unknowns (pollution, pesticides, MSG, immigration nazis, etc).

Surely the US is the world leader in at least 3 of those categories?

1 minute ago, dunque said:
2 hours ago, bubba45 said:

Surely the US is the world leader in at least 3 of those categories?

Not at all dunque. Thailand is still out in front by a large margin on pollution,  pesticides and immigration. Read it and weep. And Yes, I am sure it really pisses Humpty Dumpty off, so expect changes. MSG ? that's like flying saucers to tin hatters

Edited by LomSak27

4 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Also worth noting that this government allowed the Environmental protest.

It is also notable that the Prayut government allowed the construction to commence (2015?) with no independent environmental reviews in coordination with the public.

While the military previously approved the development plans based on its undisclosed environmental review holding no impact, Prayut as a politician holding the public office of Prime Minister as a representative of the Thai people had a responsibility to protect the Thai people from environmental degradation, especially with any that concerned Thailand's national forests.

PM Prayut had in fact vowed to end deforestation and increase the forest cover to 40% in ten years. The government would create new zones for forests and agriculture, and end corruption in land titles and ownership. http://thaiembdc.org/2017/10/09/new-law-balances-forest-protection-and-local-communities/

The Prayut government fails its duty to the Thai people if it allows this development in its present form. This will affect his electability as the next PM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Excellent attempt to discredit the peaceful protestors.  This appears a fruitful line of attack

Godspeed TT leader!

This interpretation is your own. I intended no such discreditation. I did comment that the protesters were non-political and the inference that I intended was that 'other groups' might think otherwise. You need to read what's there and not what isn't.

46 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

It is also notable that the Prayut government allowed the construction to commence (2015?) with no independent environmental reviews in coordination with the public.

While the military previously approved the development plans based on its undisclosed environmental review holding no impact, Prayut as a politician holding the public office of Prime Minister as a representative of the Thai people had a responsibility to protect the Thai people from environmental degradation, especially with any that concerned Thailand's national forests.

PM Prayut had in fact vowed to end deforestation and increase the forest cover to 40% in ten years. The government would create new zones for forests and agriculture, and end corruption in land titles and ownership. http://thaiembdc.org/2017/10/09/new-law-balances-forest-protection-and-local-communities/

The Prayut government fails its duty to the Thai people if it allows this development in its present form. This will affect his electability as the next PM.

I hope some brave politician remembers to mention that when they're on the podium fighting the next general election:giggle:

16 hours ago, wvavin said:

They are wasting a lot of manpower and opportunity. A thousand people could easily demolish the whole place instead of wasting time protesting.

That precise thought had also occurred to me, but, unlike you, I was not brave enough to voice it.  Of course, no doubt, a few thousand soldiers and police, who have very little else to do, would be employed to persuade the protesters, politely or otherwise, to move elsewhere.

• Like 1