Vietnam asked to lift unfair restriction on Thai cars

24 minutes ago, transam said:

Those who quote "reading skills", grammar, spelling are for sure on the back foot....Just answering replies is quite sufficient....

When a reply is based on an inference from a statement that does not imply that then it is either the reading skills or the cognitive ability of the reader that is at fault and there is no reason that fact should not be mentioned.

Edited by Kieran00001

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

When a reply is based on an inference from a statement that does not imply that then it is either the reading skills or the cognitive ability of the reader that is at fault and there is no reason that fact should not be mentioned.

Wow.......bravo.gif.2d3fc875cc93edcf8f8f787857a18f4d.gif

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

Jeeze dude, talk about an attitude...it's not necessary you know!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

If the import charge on cheese was removed, the cost of a block of Mature English Cheddar at Tops would drop from 350 baht, to 345 baht almost overnight!

I buy whatever food items I want at any given time.    No problem  at all.   Spending 10's of 100's of thousands of  baht for a  vehicle is an entirely different matter.

I'll trade your cheese issue with my car  price issue if you agree?    Fair exchange?  :smile:

OK?

1 minute ago, watcharacters said:

I buy whatever food items I want at any given time.    No problem  at all.   Spending 10's of 100's of thousands of  baht for a  vehicle is an entirely different matter.

I'll trade your cheese issue with my car  price issue if you agree?    Fair exchange?  :smile:

OK?

You don't do humour or satire, do you, we can tell.

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

We can assume that any car made in Thailand for the Australian market will be made to meet the Australian standards, but we can't assume that the apparently same car made in the very same factory but for the domestic market will be made to that same standard, they could use different parts, joined in different ways, for two cars that end up being badged the same, just as they do in Brazil.

I was told that the Toyota Hilux or similar that are exported to Australia from here are required to have heavier doors in the sense of a heavier gauge steel than the ones for the Thai market in order to meet Australia standards.

Just what? is the breakdown of Thai assembled cars these days? ie the certain models of Thai assembled BMWs, or the certain models of Mercs assembled in India etc etc 

And what does Thailand actually export?  When all I saw was cars'n'trucks being retrofitted with cng time bombs!  

Edited by tifino

3 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I was told that the Toyota Hilux or similar that are exported to Australia from here are required to have heavier doors in the sense of a heavier gauge steel than the ones for the Thai market in order to meet Australia standards.

Not just Toyota's. Ford and Mazda have the same skin thickness differences to address Australia's different standards. As I mentioned earlier, this is seamlessly handled on a mostly common production line. It can be assumed that any Fords assembled in South Africa for the EU market may be similarly thick-skinned. Pity that some TV members aren't.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Or they are running scared of what they might find out regarding the safety of their vehicles, considering the death toll, there may well be something they know that we don't, and who knows, it could be a little something that if it came out it could ruin their export market.

Suggesting that the higher road accident death toll in Thailand versus that in Australia can in any way be attributed to 'inferior' products assembled in Thailand or the thinner metal skins on Thai-market vehicles is totally absurd. Australia has (mostly) educated drivers and a police force that (mostly) does their job. Granted that a thinner, lighter car body will crumple faster and 6 air bags are better than 1 but when one compares maybe 20,000 Thai fatalities with maybe 1,200 Australian ones annually, the construction of the vehicle and any reduced safety features is pretty irrelevant. The idea that Vietnam is 'onto something'... seriously?

Doing some basic searches, Vietnam may be selling around 300,000 vehicles/year of which 70% may be assembled in Vietnam. Rough math indicates total assembly may be around 210,000 units. There are 6 vehicle manufacturers in Vietnam and a couple of them are focused on trucks and buses.

In comparison, in 2017, the 18 vehicle manufacturers in Thailand assembled 1.98 million vehicles of which 871,650 were for the domestic market. That suggests that 66% of Thailand assembled vehicles are exported.

Maybe the reality of this request from Vietnam is simply to protect the Vietnamese car manufacturing industry but taking the above numbers into consideration, I seriously doubt it. That gap is huge. You mentioned that the ASEAN crash test center will be in Vietnam. I believe that the ASEAN NCAP facility is already in Ho Chi Minh City. Maybe, just maybe, ASEAN collectively recognized this huge gulf between Thailand's automobile output and Vietnam's and despite the latter making noises about Vietnam designing and building their own marque and recalling how that was such a resounding success for Proton in Malaysia, they rewarded Vietnam with the crash test dummy award.

Couple that with the fact that Vietnam's whole economy is in distress, maybe any little bit of pressure relief is considered worth pursuing.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Suggesting that the higher road accident death toll in Thailand versus that in Australia can in any way be attributed to 'inferior' products assembled in Thailand or the thinner metal skins on Thai-market vehicles is totally absurd. Australia has (mostly) educated drivers and a police force that (mostly) does their job. Granted that a thinner, lighter car body will crumple faster and 6 air bags are better than 1 but when one compares maybe 20,000 Thai fatalities with maybe 1,200 Australian ones annually, the construction of the vehicle and any reduced safety features is pretty irrelevant. The idea that Vietnam is 'onto something'... seriously?

Doing some basic searches, Vietnam may be selling around 300,000 vehicles/year of which 70% may be assembled in Vietnam. Rough math indicates total assembly may be around 210,000 units. There are 6 vehicle manufacturers in Vietnam and a couple of them are focused on trucks and buses.

In comparison, in 2017, the 18 vehicle manufacturers in Thailand assembled 1.98 million vehicles of which 871,650 were for the domestic market. That suggests that 66% of Thailand assembled vehicles are exported.

Maybe the reality of this request from Vietnam is simply to protect the Vietnamese car manufacturing industry but taking the above numbers into consideration, I seriously doubt it. That gap is huge. You mentioned that the ASEAN crash test center will be in Vietnam. I believe that the ASEAN NCAP facility is already in Ho Chi Minh City. Maybe, just maybe, ASEAN collectively recognized this huge gulf between Thailand's automobile output and Vietnam's and despite the latter making noises about Vietnam designing and building their own marque and recalling how that was such a resounding success for Proton in Malaysia, they rewarded Vietnam with the crash test dummy award.

Couple that with the fact that Vietnam's whole economy is in distress, maybe any little bit of pressure relief is considered worth pursuing.

I didn't suggest that cars in Thailand may be inferior and thus the prime cause of road deaths or the reason for such disparity, you made all that up on your own, I said that the reason they may not want the inspections is that they may be worried about being found out about something, that could be safety or environmental.

Good grief, so what is inferior about my near eleven year old Toyota ride...What did they skip..You know, just tell me what to look out for...?
Chassis, engine, auto trans, anything....Go for it...
How many air bags. Self tensioning seat belts? Heater?

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, mjnaus said:

Doesn't Thailand do exactly the same thing? Isn't that why European car brands are sold at insane prices here?

No, Thailand has high taxes, so does Vietnam, Cambodia etc. However  Vietnam implemented a special inspection for each car imported. If they dont pass the inspection they are not permitted to be imported. This inspection is not done on cars assembled in Vietnam, so it's one sided. 

Did you read the article?  This inspection is causing delays and higher costs.

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

I didn't suggest that cars in Thailand may be inferior and thus the prime cause of road deaths or the reason for such disparity, you made all that up on your own, I said that the reason they may not want the inspections is that they may be worried about being found out about something, that could be safety or environmental.

dude you are talking in circles. You say you made no assumptions, but it's  clear you're trying to connect high death tolls in Thailand to possibly inferior car standards.

You keep harping on about possibly inferior Thai made automobiles.

Then you say you didn't say this. I'm starting to think you are a troll!!

• Like 1

Suzuki made Celerio dualjet versjon made for the UK market and have been selling it for 2 years already.

In thailand it is impossible to buy the dualjet version. The dualjet verion is manufactured in Rayon Thailand. The uk version have TMS and a lot more equipment and are selling for about 400 000 baht.

Suzuki headquarter says dualjet in ecocar phase 2 is for export only.

Suzuki celerio cheapest version costs from 363 000 baht in thailand

Almost identical car cost only183 450 baht in malaysia. Same engine 998 cc and specs.

http://www.perodua.com.my/ourcars/axia

gearupv2.jpg

http://www.perodua.com.my/ourcars/axia

I wish my 7 year old Vigo had a heater, there are two months each year when it would be a wondrous thing to have in the mountains north of Chiang Mai, it gets seriously chilly in the mornings.

And anyone looking at RTA deaths in Thailand needs to back out the motorcycle deaths from the figures before commenting, M/C deaths account for 75% of the total.

Edited by simoh1490

7 hours ago, ericthai said:

dude you are talking in circles. You say you made no assumptions, but it's  clear you're trying to connect high death tolls in Thailand to possibly inferior car standards.

You keep harping on about possibly inferior Thai made automobiles.

Then you say you didn't say this. I'm starting to think you are a troll!!

It was a hypothetical.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Backpedal post of the week award goes to...

Runner up in the absurd assertion of the week awards...

Honorable mention in the implausible deniability stakes too.

Well done!

Talking about a +11 year-old pickup truck here so lets see...

Airbags... NO. Not a whole lot of other companies pickup trucks had air bags way back then either.

Self tensioning Inertia reel seatbelts... YES. Been a standard option on most pickups globally since transam was a boy.

Heater... NO. In Thailand? A heater? Really?

I'm, starting to think that he seriously needs to embrace the price of cheese debate as he's batting 0 for 2 on automobiles.

Just another Thai basher and/or Thai apologist caller... take your pick. Bet he doesn't fly THAI either. Something about inferiority and safety.

You're just another that can't grasp the difference between a hypothetical and an accusation.

6 hours ago, Trollmann said:

Suzuki made Celerio dualjet versjon made for the UK market and have been selling it for 2 years already.

In thailand it is impossible to buy the dualjet version. The dualjet verion is manufactured in Rayon Thailand. The uk version have TMS and a lot more equipment and are selling for about 400 000 baht.

Suzuki headquarter says dualjet in ecocar phase 2 is for export only.

Suzuki celerio cheapest version costs from 363 000 baht in thailand

Almost identical car cost only183 450 baht in malaysia. Same engine 998 cc and specs.

As noted earlier, 66% of Thailand's car output is for the export market and by dint of driving on the same side of the road as the UK, their cars already have a financial leg-up on other nations factories where LHD predominates and RHD build-ups would entail a mostly separate production line. The UK's safety rules, like those of other developed countries, mandates safety equipment and emissions controls that for now are superfluous to the Thai and other regional markets.

Maybe the Malaysian Celerio is made in India? Looks like Suzuki phased out the entire marque after they got into bed with Proton in 2016. Either way, maybe those specs aren't as identical as you claim.