Hair breakage - what’s in the water?

CaitlinHappyMeal

If an operation adds chemicals to their water tanks could this lead to hair breakage, what is it they treat their water with, I’ve seen them do it but obviously I can’t get close enough to see what chemicals, also they look slap happy with no measurements, I am getting reports in from other female traveller that this is happening in Chiang rai and even as far as some islands down south. Can anyone shed any light on this? My hair grows back fine once I return to the UK and then the cycle starts all over again when I return for my winter stint of 4 months. It’s quite disturbing. 

Thanks

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Jdietz said:

Could it possibly have to do with a tad more sun than at home?

I don’t think so, as a nutritionist and hairdresser  I can honestly say no, hair in fabulous condition before hand, not a sun worshipper, don’t sunbathe or abuse my time in the sunshine. It’s something  more sinister I just know it, looking for specific info on water treatment. 

Thanks for the suggestion tho

• Haha 1

There is no one universal water supply in Thailand, so not it's not the water that's causing the problem.  For example, some condo buildings and moo baans have their own wells, other parts of Chiang Mai use municipal water supply.  I know that when we visit Bangkok, the water seems much softer, based on how little shampoo is needed to lather my hair and how soft my hair is afterwards.

Could it be that your home country has different voltage and you're using hair care appliances here without thinking about how they are hotter here than in your home country?  I'm amazed at how fast my "universal voltage" curling iron heats up here, yet takes forever in other countries.  This means that it reheats after each curl much more quickly too.  I  can zip-zip-zip and get the job done very quickly here, while I stand around waiting for the magic to happen in lower voltage countries.  Same goes for blow dryers and straightening irons.   You say you're a hairdresser.  Go to a Thai salon and observe how they have different techniques for handling their appliances here because they're hotter and do the job faster.

27 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Most likely to be chlorine. Added to a lot of the water here both mains and private supply.

Wouldnt be surprised if some people add way too much.

Would be my guess too, but you should be able to smell it when overdosed, I sometimes do ... makes a good bleach, Chlorine, that's for sure.

Let the water air out couple of hrs before you use it, it evaporates.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

There is no one universal water supply in Thailand, so not it's not the water that's causing the problem.  For example, some condo buildings and moo baans have their own wells, other parts of Chiang Mai use municipal water supply.  I know that when we visit Bangkok, the water seems much softer, based on how little shampoo is needed to lather my hair and how soft my hair is afterwards.

Could it be that your home country has different voltage and you're using hair care appliances here without thinking about how they are hotter here than in your home country?  I'm amazed at how fast my "universal voltage" curling iron heats up here, yet takes forever in other countries.  This means that it reheats after each curl much more quickly too.  I  can zip-zip-zip and get the job done very quickly here, while I stand around waiting for the magic to happen in lower voltage countries.  Same goes for blow dryers and straightening irons.   You say you're a hairdresser.  Go to a Thai salon and observe how they have different techniques for handling their appliances here because they're hotter and do the job faster.

I don’t dry my hair here, I just let it dry naturally so that’s not it, I have indeed been and had my hair dried at a Thai salon a few years ago, never again, they have the dryers on hot because Thai hair can take it, it literally frazzled my hair, and yes that’s a technical term lol. My diet is identical in Thailand too as I am vegan so I more or less eat the same things wherever I am in the world, it’s either the water supply or the chemical use on crops, I’m determined to get to the bottom of it and if I have to wash my hair in bottled water then so be it 555

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:

Would be my guess too, but you should be able to smell it when overdosed, I sometimes do ... makes a good bleach, Chlorine, that's for sure.

Let the water air out couple of hrs before you use it, it evaporates.

How do I do that when it’s in one of those massive water tanks? 

It could be chloramine also. Many water supplies add it. And adding chemicals is not restricted to Thailand. Water supplies all over the world do it, including in the US.

You can get a large bucket, fill it with tap water, and leave it overnight. That's what we do for aquariums.

Use that for the hair and see what happens . Let us know.

You can also buy chemicals to neutralize the chlorine and chloramine. It's meant for aquarium use - I don't know that you want it in your hair. But it's a thought.

7 hours ago, CaitlinHappyMeal said:

How do I do that when it’s in one of those massive water tanks? 

Good question that.
Yes, simple enough while static, in your own crib you'd just use a bucket sized as you need. Left in the shower if too heavy, a few hours should do the trick, trust your nose.
But whilst on the move that's a tough one aka pain in the rear i'd bet.
The bigger the surface the faster you can use your water, so if you refill drinkwaterbottles it might well take half a day for the chlorine to evaporate (??), don't fill them up though, gets you a bigger surface.
Maybe one of these 6 liter 'bottles' they sell at 7/11 for example, they've got like 5cm openings which should speed things up, again if not filled to the brim ...?

On the bright side - using plastic-bottles you wouldn't need bother about 'softeners' in your hair-treatment. 
Just kidding - i hope.

The best solution (seeing as it is very likely chlorine or similar) would be to buy a special chlorine filtering shower head. Bring one with you as I haven't seen them here.

Chlorine filter

One such as this should be easy to fit on Thai showers as it looks like you just change the shower head.

I would not be surprised to find the food has things you do not know about.

Either through pesticides/fertilized etc

Also The polluted air has its effect

After leaving in 2016 I am amazed at how healthy my hair & skin is now

Although now we live in a very nice climate with a pretty constant 70s degrees F

So no more air con etc

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, cmsally said:

The best solution (seeing as it is very likely chlorine or similar) would be to buy a special chlorine filtering shower head. Bring one with you as I haven't seen them here.

Chlorine filter

One such as this should be easy to fit on Thai showers as it looks like you just change the shower head.

Thanks, this is probably the most helpful response so far, as even if I find out what’s in the water there is not much I can do about it, thank you 

2 hours ago, CaitlinHappyMeal said:

Thanks, this is probably the most helpful response so far, as even if I find out what’s in the water there is not much I can do about it, thank you 

If that's what you believe.

Just know that something of this nature is going to use other chemicals to get rid of chlorine, and you will be getting that on your head.

Letting the water sit is going to let the chlorine /chloramine dissipate naturally.

Maybe you should read up on the subject before deciding.

• Like 1

Another possibility is black mold. It is pervasive now here as these buildings get older and the spores grow. I had a skin rash from hell and 5 different dermatologists said they didn't know what t was. Of course they sold me some of the most expensive creams on earth . But when I left Thailand for about three months it went away, was driving me crazier than I already am. Another friend from Aus, had it in his apt, ad again could not figure out why his health was going to crap. Went back to Aus and after three months a number of health problems have dissapeared. Black mold is serious stuff, and is infiltrating all these worn out unkempt buildings.

2 hours ago, Wandr said:

If that's what you believe.

Just know that something of this nature is going to use other chemicals to get rid of chlorine, and you will be getting that on your head.

Letting the water sit is going to let the chlorine /chloramine dissipate naturally.

Maybe you should read up on the subject before deciding.

Hi, yes others have suggested this but when staying in hotel/condo/guesthouse how can I let the water sit? It’s coming direct from the tank to the shower head? Is there a way you can think of? Sorry if I am being thick here ?

10 hours ago, CaitlinHappyMeal said:

Hi, yes others have suggested this but when staying in hotel/condo/guesthouse how can I let the water sit? It’s coming direct from the tank to the shower head? Is there a way you can think of? Sorry if I am being thick here ?

So it has to sit after it comes out of the tap or shower head.  Now how could that be done? Bath tub, sink, plastic bucket(cheap or borrowed), gallamong.....Yes you are being thick. 

Have to wonder why a lot of other people have not jumped in saying they have the same problem.

2 hours ago, Dante99 said:

So it has to sit after it comes out of the tap or shower head.  Now how could that be done? Bath tub, sink, plastic bucket(cheap or borrowed), gallamong.....Yes you are being thick. 

Have to wonder why a lot of other people have not jumped in saying they have the same problem.

No point being harsh. Some people are only used to one way of doing things .

OP - in much of Asia people don't have shower heads. They have a big bucket of water and they use a large mug or bowl to take the water from the bucket or tank and pour it over their bodies.

That is what is being suggested. Buy a bucket - less than 100 baht I think - and a bowl. Fill the bucket with water and leave it overnight. Use this water to wash your hair. Following this you can shower normally, avoiding getting water in your hair.

Of course, one of us will surely volunteer to drop by and help you through the process. How about it?

The Thai term for bathing, aap naam, doesn't mean showering or immersing ones body into a tub of water, but rather, dipping water out of a big cistern with long-handled mug and pouring it over ones body.  Traditionally, they use water that has sit for a time.   Admittedly now, most "city Thais" shower like we do in the west, but this same old Thai technique can be used to collect and hold water so that the chlorine has a chance to dissipate.

Surely the OP has been out in the country and been in a toilet room where there was a squat toilet and a big plastic jar of water with a scoop floating on the top.  Not only is that water used for flushing the toilet.  It can be used for bathing. 

The Thai term for bathing, aap naam, doesn't mean showering or immersing ones body into a tub of water, but rather, dipping water out of a big cistern with long-handled mug and pouring it over ones body. 

Wrong. As commonly used the term includes taking a shower or a bath in a tub or in a river or lake. Or with a hose. Or in the rain.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, Dante99 said:

I wondered how long it would be before someone was going to be rude. Obviously I know how to run water off into a receptacle, if one is travelling  around then it is not really convenient to travel with a bucket, and it’s laughable to think that there is enough water in a a sink to rinse ones hair. My best guess is you’re an bored bitter old man trawling the forums who has lost the majority of his hair anyway and has no realisation of how devastating it is for a female to see  hand fulls of hair fallout every time they wash it so thank for your understanding. No idea what gallamong means but I imagine it’s derogatory, although after a quick search, although not technically 2 words, it does make a good google whack entry. Shouldn’t imaging it will stop you but maybe best to go on the adage that if you can’t say anything nice or constructive don’t say anything at all. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cheeryble said:

I went to a pool a couple of times which turned my hair green,.....I mean very noticeably green 

I hear you this has happened to me before, I suspect with the water systems in the tanks it’s a combination of chlorine and chloramine, possibly other chemicals too ?

My partner runs a Hairdressing salon in Thailand and is adamant about using legit products.  She gets lots of trade from people who have suffered from applications from salons near hers which she knows use inferior/fake products.