Three dead in Chon Buri car-truck collision

webfact

7 hours ago, murraynz said:

do the truck drivers have log books or driving hour restrictions, as in other countries ????

if this is not policed reliably, its pointless anyway...once again...life is cheap in thailand...who cares????

you got it spot on with the last 7 words. 

6 hours ago, Get Real said:

So, your solution is to leave it like it is? If drivers that are about to fall asleep stop by the roadside, there will not be any that are half asleep.

Please understand what you read next time.

No, it is for him to never set off in the first place while so exhausted.

Or find  a safer place to stop than the roadside, which is stupid and a frequent cause of accidents.

Please learn to think before you write.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

Truck driver Songkran Naree, 45, who surrendered to police at the scene, said he was driving from Chon Buri to Kabin Buri when he dozed off behind the wheel, sending the truck crashing violently into the sedan’s rear.

"Dozed off" should give him a place in hell. RIP.

How did you determine that?

15 hours ago, Get Real said:

At least he seems to be honest about what happened. However, I can understand why they not pull to the roadside and take a nap before they fall asleep driving.

Very sad event.

Unfortunately road accidents caused by fatigue are rife throughout the world.

Drivers trying to maximise income by driving beyond what is normal periods are a scourge . Many resort to amphetamines or worse to leep awake.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

No, it is for him to never set off in the first place while so exhausted.

Or find  a safer place to stop than the roadside, which is stupid and a frequent cause of accidents.

Please learn to think before you write.

Oh dear! You ever thought about that he might not have been exhausted at the time he started his journey? No, I guess that simple though never crossed you mind.
As I said before. At the time after driving for many hours and a person feel tired, it´s better to park on the roadside and relax for a while. If people learn to do that it will not be stupid.
That means that the persons still driving are okey and awake. They can see the parked cars, and it will not be a cause for accidents.

Oh, yeah! Then it was the small little part of thinking before doing something. Nah, I just leave that part completely to you.

1 minute ago, Get Real said:

Oh dear! You ever thought about that he might not have been exhausted at the time he started his journey? No, I guess that simple though never crossed you mind.
As I said before. At the time after driving for many hours and a person feel tired, it´s better to park on the roadside and relax for a while. If people learn to do that it will not be stupid.
That means that the persons still driving are okey and awake. They can see the parked cars, and it will not be a cause for accidents.

Oh, yeah! Then it was the small little part of thinking before doing something. Nah, I just leave that part completely to you.

So now you are second guessing him.

He set off from Chonburi and had an accident in Chonburi! So he soon exhausted himself!  Highway 331 in that area has plenty of places he could get off the road.

An 18 wheeler is not a 'parked car', it is a large container truck!

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

So now you are second guessing him.

He set off from Chonburi and had an accident in Chonburi! So he soon exhausted himself!  Highway 331 in that area has plenty of places he could get off the road.

An 18 wheeler is not a 'parked car', it is a large container truck!

The bigger reason to see it then.

I was not thinking about this particular incident even if I described him. There are times when they start tired and also when they get tired, The only solution to lower the accidents is to wait or rest by the roadside.

On 2018-04-30 at 5:00 AM, Get Real said:

At least he seems to be honest about what happened. However, I can understand why they not pull to the roadside and take a nap before they fall asleep driving.

How many parkings for trucks do you find here? 

1 hour ago, gintis0604 said:

How many parkings for trucks do you find here? 

How many trucks that are parked on the roadside, when you go in to Bangkok from Bangna any given evening/night? I was not talking about parking spots.

10 minutes ago, Get Real said:

How many trucks that are parked on the roadside, when you go in to Bangkok from Bangna any given evening/night? I was not talking about parking spots.

And how many reports have we read on here about people driving into the back of said trucks parked on the side of the road in the middle of the night ? 

Hence my earlier post about the need for frequent off road parking / rest spots for all drivers.

13 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

And how many reports have we read on here about people driving into the back of said trucks parked on the side of the road in the middle of the night ? 

Hence my earlier post about the need for frequent off road parking / rest spots for all drivers.

If awake people can´t learn to look out for parked viechles, then I guess there is not too much hope left for humanity. 

Mostly the ones that drive in to parked cars or trucks in the middle of the night is drunk teenagers on motorbikes, or people with malfuctioning lights. They should also keep off the roads until lights fixed or a sober day raises in the morning.

Edited by Get Real

On 30/04/2018 at 9:56 AM, sweatalot said:

no I would give him mitigating circumstances for being honest and not bother us wit another brake failure

Actually a failure to break (rest) rather than a brake failure.  Good that he owned up to being at fault, very unusual for the Thai male species I think.

4 hours ago, Get Real said:

If awake people can´t learn to look out for parked viechles, then I guess there is not too much hope left for humanity. 

Mostly the ones that drive in to parked cars or trucks in the middle of the night is drunk teenagers on motorbikes, or people with malfuctioning lights. They should also keep off the roads until lights fixed or a sober day raises in the morning.

Sorry for the late reply, I have been busy with my life, I guess that you have never driven on Highway 7, route 36, the 331 or route 3, or even the Asia Highway, route 2 or any other major road in this country, yes I know that you have ridden your motorcy down various country lanes to the nearest 7/11 etc but that doesn't count.

Do you know that the majority of all the major routes in Thailand are unlit, so you are advocating that tired truck drivers just pull over to the side of the road ??

There is no safety margin on Thai roads, no hard shoulder, if a trucker pulls over at least half of his truck is gonna be in the slow lane (that's the left lane on a 2 or 3 lane highway) you really think that that is safe, more off road parking on major routes is needed and PDQ, I would suggest you do as your user name implies and Get Real. 

14 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Sorry for the late reply, I have been busy with my life, I guess that you have never driven on Highway 7, route 36, the 331 or route 3, or even the Asia Highway, route 2 or any other major road in this country, yes I know that you have ridden your motorcy down various country lanes to the nearest 7/11 etc but that doesn't count.

Do you know that the majority of all the major routes in Thailand are unlit, so you are advocating that tired truck drivers just pull over to the side of the road ??

There is no safety margin on Thai roads, no hard shoulder, if a trucker pulls over at least half of his truck is gonna be in the slow lane (that's the left lane on a 2 or 3 lane highway) you really think that that is safe, more off road parking on major routes is needed and PDQ, I would suggest you do as your user name implies and Get Real. 

Little, Mr. Golden Triangle, you know absolutely nothing about where I have been driving or what I drive in Thailand. That means in plain that you are far out of bounds even trying to assume something or make a sarcastic joke out of that. I can assure you about that I definately have been driving more km than you in this country, due to that I approx. have been driving 250 km per day 6 days a week for about 12 years. Before that I was also driving about 150-200 km same days a week for about 6 years.

If you out of any reason should have more experience driving in Thailand, then you can continue comment in that area, otherwise I would prefer that you tone it down and discuss about things where it might be possible for you to have the upper hand when beeing sarcastic.

My question to you is: What is best? I will give you 2 options:

* Drive until you fall asleep and have an accident

* Park by the roadside and doze off, at the same time as people driving on the road use thier eyes and lights to see whats in front of them.

I am quite sure you will not have to think too long time.

The biggest worry for me as a car driver are the trucks , I always make sure to keep distance if possible and be prepared for anything. 

Had a couple of close ones , the truck drivers seem to struggle to take breaks when necessary . Its all about money money money and getting there in time.