Importing a dog

Any advice, please. I seem to be going round in circles. I will be relocating to Thailand later this year and would like to bring my English Staffordshire Bull Terrier which is not a banned breed. However, American Pit Bulls and American Staffordshire Bull Terriers are. Will I have a problem?  

2 hours ago, Syd and Kyd said:

Thank you so much Starky you ease my mind. Should I get a company to make it run smoothly?

Pm me and I'll give you my exporters contact. Was pretty easy from uk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Syd and Kyd said:

Thank you so much Starky you ease my mind. Should I get a company to make it run smoothly?

with so much danger and diseases BE PREPARED for what you have to be aware off.

there is plenty to read about in this pets section,with some valuable information.

what will be your location that is very important for your loved one.

• Like 2

Hello

We came to live here 3 years back with our yorkshire terrier. 3 months before I made the paper work (very simple), sent it. When we reached there was a guy with a board with my name of it and we went to the quarantine department, paid 200 bahts, got a stamped paper, it was over. Going out customs charged me 2000 bahts as import duty, telling me to keep this paper as I won t have to repay if re entering with my dog..

All contacts and papers were made per e mail.

PM me if you want the d mail address. No need to pay a company, very simple and quick..

Only thing, take a plane reaching between 9 morning and 4 p.m, as it is the opening time of quarantine department..(don t know how it works if they are closed, but surely have to wait)

Have a nice day

• Like 1

My daughter brought her dog to Thailand last year and she did not use a company she just added him as excess luggage, had all the paperwork in order and 2000 bhat in her pocket in case she got into any problems in BKK  quarantine. She was through the system in 20 minutes and out of the airport with him.   Message me and I will get her to walk you through the process.

17 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Sorry, but why would you put your dog through all the stress of travelling here.. in the cramped crate, many long hours in solitary confinement, noise and heat at airports etc?

Then once it is here it has to battle with the different (very hot and humid) climate here.. as well as all the different diseases.

It will be expensive.. with hight probably some Thai people at some point will want 'extra' money for some made up rule or delay.  It would not surprise me is one started saying it was a banned breed and wanted money to let it through.  

Personally I would find my dog a new home in my own country before moving over here.. perhaps with family or friends.

There are thousands and thousands of poor dogs here that need a loving home.

Actually I moved my dog to Laos via Bangkok transit  (where you have to actually import your dog into Thailand for 24 hours) It was not crazy expensive if you bring your dog by excess baggage. No one asked me for 'extra money.' If the dog is not susceptible to a lot of stress, he/she should be fine.

Thanks for everything and of course I will import my dog. My major concern is that American Pitbulls and American Staffordshire Bull Terriers are a banned breed. My dog is an English Staffordshire Bull Terrier.  Will this cause me any problems at the airport? Thanks in advance.

A man that I know in this Country Imported his dog here from the UK.

He told me it was the worst decision he had ever made in his life, and for many years he loved and cared for his dog, but was sad that he had put the animal through the trauma of not only the Flight, Quarantine Etc, but also the daily stress the dog was under due to the change of climate and illness,s Etc.

He openly told me that he had wished he had the put the dog to sleep back in the UK prior to living here.

Very sad, as he loved the dog so much.

3 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

A man that I know in this Country Imported his dog here from the UK.

He told me it was the worst decision he had ever made in his life, and for many years he loved and cared for his dog, but was sad that he had put the animal through the trauma of not only the Flight, Quarantine Etc, but also the daily stress the dog was under due to the change of climate and illness,s Etc.

He openly told me that he had wished he had the put the dog to sleep back in the UK prior to living here.

Very sad, as he loved the dog so much.

as everyone on this forum nows our beloved passed away 62days ago.just to give the op what the concerns are here.

if we lived in the uk.with our beloved,given a choice of moving here or staying with our boy in the uk.well I think you know the answer.iam so sorry but Thailand is not a nice place to bring your loved one.

• Like 1

Before you make the decision on bringing your dog to Thailand, is this a permanent move for you because it is easy to bring your pet to Thailand but if you are going to leave Thailand at some stage in the near future there could be a lot of problems getting your pet back to your home country owing the many quarantine rules because of the diseases (rabies) in countries like Thailand. I looked at bringing my pet to Thailand and it was dead easy but to take my pet back to Australia it had to go through quarantine of 6 months in Singapore then another 3 months quarantine in New Zealand then another 1 month quarantine in Australia and that was going take 10 months and cost me about $5000 Australian Dollars. If you are going to return to your home country after maybe 4 or 5 years then I would suggest that you give it some serious thought.

On 4/30/2018 at 4:25 PM, transam said:

Our lass has one bred in LOS with pedigree papers....:stoner:

barny.jpg.8dda6b996afd54cbed90eeccc4c6d116.jpgedog2.jpg.fa2264d3e0fdd691b822c1ac88ea5811.jpg

On 4/30/2018 at 4:25 PM, transam said:

Our lass has one bred in LOS with pedigree papers....:stoner:

barny.jpg.8dda6b996afd54cbed90eeccc4c6d116.jpgedog2.jpg.fa2264d3e0fdd691b822c1ac88ea5811.jpg

Which one is your Lass ?    :cheesy:

Hi Syd and Kyd, Don’t take this easy. If you don’t speak Thai better get some help.

I brought my Staffy in from the UK in 2003; went to the Livestock Department then at the old Don Muang airport in person before the flight and got the import permit. Already then I had problems to make the officer understand that a Staffordshire Bullterrier is not an AmStaff or a Pitbull. Actually went there three times, had to bring a breed history, books and a lot of pictures before I got the permit.  Since then it did not become easier. You can apply for the permit online, but not sure if this works for a Staffy. And no import permit, no go. Prepare all documents in advance, rabies free area cert, vaccination record etc., you also need microchip.

Here is a quite good summary what you need:

https://www.thailandstarterkit.com/moving/thailand-pet-import/

Also check with the airline in time, e.g. Thai Airways does not transport Staffies anymore. Most important, make sure the dog is on the same flight you are; excess baggage, not cargo. Confirm before take-off with the cabin staff.

Finally have enough cash ready. Your concern if well justified, even if you have a permit, the airport officer at Bangkok airport decides what is a Pitbull and what not.

Have a look at these most recent links:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/446623-bringing-an-english-staffy-to-thailand/

Good luck, would appreciate it if you could let me know how it went.

Thank you so much Staffywolf,

it isn't going to be easy, is it? I really hope there is some way of doing it. I am fluent in Thai so that may help. Maybe I should get some Thai friends to help.

it is so worrying. I hope it is possible

I will keep you updated

Cheers

Syd

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Syd and Kyd said:

Thanks for everything and of course I will import my dog. My major concern is that American Pitbulls and American Staffordshire Bull Terriers are a banned breed. My dog is an English Staffordshire Bull Terrier.  Will this cause me any problems at the airport? Thanks in advance.

The banned breed thing is loosely enforced at best. I used to breed APBT and the majority of my stock  was from rescued, imported American bloodlines.  I love the breed and have owned them for many years a wonderful dog overly burdened with the stigma of too many arse hole's who mistreat them (cue standard outraged reply by people who have never owned any of the bully breeds and their calls of evil, devil dogs, they all turn eventually, kill em all, shoot them, poison them, genocide for the breed blah blah <deleted> blah) Most Thais won't recognise a staffy as a pitty as it's not. Declare your dog on all paperwork that any Thai may see as a Patterdale Terrier you'll be fine. Send your pedigrees and any associated paperwork by mail. You will also need a friendly vet who will have to declare your dogs breed as Patterdale Terrier on your doggy "passport".

Edited by starky

6 hours ago, Staffywolf said:

Hi Syd and Kyd, Don’t take this easy. If you don’t speak Thai better get some help.

I brought my Staffy in from the UK in 2003; went to the Livestock Department then at the old Don Muang airport in person before the flight and got the import permit. Already then I had problems to make the officer understand that a Staffordshire Bullterrier is not an AmStaff or a Pitbull. Actually went there three times, had to bring a breed history, books and a lot of pictures before I got the permit.  Since then it did not become easier. You can apply for the permit online, but not sure if this works for a Staffy. And no import permit, no go. Prepare all documents in advance, rabies free area cert, vaccination record etc., you also need microchip.

Here is a quite good summary what you need:

https://www.thailandstarterkit.com/moving/thailand-pet-import/

Also check with the airline in time, e.g. Thai Airways does not transport Staffies anymore. Most important, make sure the dog is on the same flight you are; excess baggage, not cargo. Confirm before take-off with the cabin staff.

Finally have enough cash ready. Your concern if well justified, even if you have a permit, the airport officer at Bangkok airport decides what is a Pitbull and what not.

Have a look at these most recent links:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/446623-bringing-an-english-staffy-to-thailand/

Good luck, would appreciate it if you could let me know how it went.

I had the opposite to be honest and I have imported a number of pure bred APBT''s through Swampy, maybe it was a Don mueang thing or a certain officer and I agree you may have trouble on the day but I personally have never experienced that and have never encountered anyone at the airport who couldn't be persuaded to let my dogs through. Might also be because you decided to argue about what is a "pit bull" and what is not. There is no such thing for a start. The APBT is a clearly defined breed. It is ignorance and idiots that want to describe any mongrel with a bit of any of the bully breeds and a big head as a " pit bull"

Edited by starky

13 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Before you make the decision on bringing your dog to Thailand, is this a permanent move for you because it is easy to bring your pet to Thailand but if you are going to leave Thailand at some stage in the near future there could be a lot of problems getting your pet back to your home country owing the many quarantine rules because of the diseases (rabies) in countries like Thailand. I looked at bringing my pet to Thailand and it was dead easy but to take my pet back to Australia it had to go through quarantine of 6 months in Singapore then another 3 months quarantine in New Zealand then another 1 month quarantine in Australia and that was going take 10 months and cost me about $5000 Australian Dollars. If you are going to return to your home country after maybe 4 or 5 years then I would suggest that you give it some serious thought.

the most serious thoughts you need to consider is,where will you be going to live?

it has got to be a secured property,where other dogs cant get in.

at this moment there is a big rabies concern,it has been allowed to fester through deleted livestock officials and vets who have been purchasing dodgy vaccine stock and filling their boots with the proceeds.there is still over 3million strays that still need to be vaccinated if you can believe them.

then there are the PARASITE'S,you do need to read up about ticks in this forum,then there are the 2 legged ones who don't care one iota about the welfare of your loved one as long as the gravey train keeps running and its used as an A.T.M. to feather their nest.me and the wife went through 3yrs.of hell with our beloved who was treated with no thought other than the vets working out the next BILL.

we have soooooooooo much love to give but the heartbreak we are going through is overwhelming.

so I am afraid my thoughts ARE I would NEVER bring a LOVED one HERE.

On 5/1/2018 at 8:12 AM, Dazinoz said:

I used a company in Australia to bring our dog over. Was expensive but was very easy. They came to the house in Australia, checked her out and gave her the necessary injections. Went and collected her the day before departure (we were already here), kept her overnight, put her on the plane to Bangkok where an agent collected her and kept her for the night and contacted us on her arrival, after she was through custom and again the next morning when she was put on a flight to Chiang Mai. We went to the cargo section at the airport and picked her up and she has been living here happily for nearly five years. We could not have just found her a new home in Australia as she was like our child and had had her over 4 years. In fact she is one of the main reasons we are still here in Thailand as not so easy to get her back to Oz.

Totally agree, we brought our two Jack Russells which we had had from two months old from Australia when we moved here.

Sure it cost money, a lot more than it cost us to fly here but if you care for your animals you do not entrust them to others however well meaning they may be

Sounds like we might have used the same company excellent and very professional.

• Like 1