FFC: Over 90 percent of water vending machines are unhygienic

snoop1130

FFC: Over 90 percent of water vending machines are unhygienic

vending.jpg

The Foundation for Consumers has urged the City Administration to shut down the operations of many water vending machines in Bangkok, alleging that they were not registered and are unhygienic.

Ms Monrudee Po-in an official of the foundation, said Monday (April 30) that the foundation in cooperation with other consumer protection groups conducted an inspection of 855 water vending machines in 18 districts of Bangkok in 2015 and found out that  91.75 percent of them were located at improper spots such as in places which are full of dust, on sidewalk, close to drainage system or garbage dumps infested with flies or cockroaches.

Another survey was conducted last year and this time it covered altogether 50 districts, she said, adding that it was discovered that the problem was still there unrectified, with 90 percent of the water vending machines not legally registered.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ffc-90-percent-water-vending-machines-unhygienic/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-4-30

This has been known about and reported upon for years.

I am fairly sure that they just use tap water with a filter than might be changed every, I don't know, never?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Given poor maintenance of most things in Thailand, I stayed away from these things, knowing they would not be maintained properly.  

I ozonate tap water at home. Four years and no problem. I do my fruits and veggies as well.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Another survey was conducted last year and this time it covered altogether 50 districts, she said, adding that it was discovered that the problem was still there unrectified

I'm going out on a limb betting it won't be remedied in next year's survey either...

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

No surprise there... I saw the maintenance guy from a condo in Jomtien take the ceramic filters out and scrub them with the cleaners floor brush whilst they lay on the ground and then he just put them back in instead of replacing them ......I use the term maintenance loosely as this not something they are familiar with in LoS....though the Thai word phonetically is Bam Roong  Rak Saah....

Please tell me it wasn't Park Lane, I want to live in blissful ignorance. :wai: 

Once I asked the guy who was replacing the filters at the water vending machine downstairs what filters he was using as the boxes were already open and pretty damaged. He said refurbished filters. Meaning they take them back and.... Who knows.

9 minutes ago, samsensam said:

haha, you only have to look a one of those machines to seriously question the standard of hygiene but plenty of people seem to using them without any harmful effects, yet...

I believe the PM is using them also, and now he needs help to think:

‘Help Me Think’ Prayuth Says, Dodging On Doi Suthep

3 hours ago, DoctorG said:

This has been known about and reported upon for years.

I am fairly sure that they just use tap water with a filter than might be changed every, I don't know, never?

Me too. Using them for 12 years.  Use different ones (which ever I am passing at the time in the car).

Never had any problems either.  But I am in Chiang Mai, not Bangkok. 

I recon if they tested peoples kitchens, glasses and cups with swabs for bacteria and dust they would be deemed unhygienic too.  Where are not supposed to live in a sterile environment.  

• Like 1

well what to say. they point to the problem of all water dispensers and water taps.

about most of them are not maintained correctly and do become or are a source of problems,

the outdoor condition is just a small point. all machines need to be cleaned and maintained correctly

Did you know that most shops use filter systems for the water they use to make your food or drinks or others just use tap water without filtering and other treatments.

or other sources of water as we could read in media like this.

For that used water you pay as lot. Then when you are at home most of use refuse to use the same kind of tap water.

about the piping some countries use copper in the piping to prevent problems it is more expensive, the copper kills many unwanted things in water.

this is also one of the reasons why in the past many things for drinking where made of copper.