Thai police tell British YouTuber extortion attempt was just idle threat

webfact

Wow.

No one can look at the email header to see who sent the email ?

No one actually checked with the BANK to see if the account was really closed ?

If that account was really closed "months ago" I shouldn't be able to add it to my 3rd party transfer list, should I ? I shouldn't get an OTOP message right ? I shouldn't get a Confirmation message telling me that the account had been added, right ? :whistling:

I was going to say that I doubt that email was sent from a French police officer. I highly doubt he would use the term "monkey house" when communication with another foreigner. The grammar and the spelling were also very poor, even for a Frenchman. Having said that though, I've seen some pretty poor grammar and spelling from a lot of native English speakers, usually of questionable education levels. 

Interesting that when I did a quick search for "Theirry Perenon" it comes up with some similar articles, like these:
March 3, 2018 - http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/03/03/foreign-dsi-agent-threatens-editor-remove-story-russian-whistleblowers/

March 5, 2018 - http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2018/03/05/dsi-investigates-foreign-agent-threats-reporters/ 

April 23, 2018 - https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1035028-french-agent-to-police-in-pattaya-linked-to-alleged-threats-against-youtuber/ (the original article for this particular thread)

"In March the Department of Special Investigation based in Bangkok said they were investigating Perenon with DSI chief Korrawat Panprapakorn saying that the Frenchman had misrepresented himself.

According to the chief Perenon was not a sworn officer. He was part of a volunteer group that sends in tips about the activities of foreign gangs.

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

O. P said:  Police contacted the Thai named as having the bank account and he was found to have closed the account many months before. Thus Danny would have been unable to send the money even if he had gone through with the extortion attempt.

I have yet to hear of an extortionist who doesn't have an end game.

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

Wow.

No one can look at the email header to see who sent the email ?

No one actually checked with the BANK to see if the account was really closed ?

If that account was really closed "months ago" I shouldn't be able to add it to my 3rd party transfer list, should I ? I shouldn't get an OTOP message right ? I shouldn't get a Confirmation message telling me that the account had been added, right ? :whistling:

I was going to say that I doubt that email was sent from a French police officer. I highly doubt he would use the term "monkey house" when communication with another foreigner. The grammar and the spelling were also very poor, even for a Frenchman. Having said that though, I've seen some pretty poor grammar and spelling from a lot of native English speakers, usually of questionable education levels. 

Interesting that when I did a quick search for "Theirry Perenon" it comes up with some similar articles, like these:
March 3, 2018 - http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/03/03/foreign-dsi-agent-threatens-editor-remove-story-russian-whistleblowers/

March 5, 2018 - http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2018/03/05/dsi-investigates-foreign-agent-threats-reporters/ 

April 23, 2018 - https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1035028-french-agent-to-police-in-pattaya-linked-to-alleged-threats-against-youtuber/ (the original article for this particular thread)

"In March the Department of Special Investigation based in Bangkok said they were investigating Perenon with DSI chief Korrawat Panprapakorn saying that the Frenchman had misrepresented himself.

According to the chief Perenon was not a sworn officer. He was part of a volunteer group that sends in tips about the activities of foreign gangs.

Yes, it occurred to me that someone with a close interest in the case could have added the a/c to their a/c payees and send 100 or 1,000b to see if it bounced "Payee unknown"  before divulging it.  Talk about showing your hand in poker!!!!!

2 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

The bank account is closed since month, but when I added a new account to transfer to, it showed up with the name. When the bank account is closed, it should have been erased from the data base a long time ago.

It is like wiping your bu## with tissue, Will be clean after that. :stoner:

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, InfinityandBeyond said:

Here is a hint: find the owner of the bank acct named in the extortion email. The address is right there. 

Something not right about this story. 

Here's a hint, the police have found it and they've interviewed the account owner and it was all in the OP.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

If that account was really closed "months ago" I shouldn't be able to add it to my 3rd party transfer list, should I ? I shouldn't get an OTOP message right ? I shouldn't get a Confirmation message telling me that the account had been added, right ? 

You should try transferring some money and report back, right?

16 hours ago, Get Real said:

How perfect! Can somebody tell me how to get a work permit for working as a Youtuber in Thailand as a foreigner.

You form or use a media company.. Same as any other profession.. Or engage the services of one of the many umbrella companies that offer this package. 

Pretty simple really.. 

17 hours ago, Get Real said:

How perfect! Can somebody tell me how to get a work permit for working as a Youtuber in Thailand as a foreigner.

I think he must do more than just YouTube work, as they don't exactly pay out a lot. Perhaps he's a teacher somewhere but quite rightly doesn't want that released.

I had a German tourist policeman do this to me and others in Pattaya as well, the extortion part, not in writing tho. He did get fired in the end but continued to use his police badge (which the police claim he had returned) to gain access to hotel rooms and continue his extorting. police werent interested in that. he had been fired so was no longer of police interest, even tho illegal.

21 hours ago, YetAnother said:

He just wants to still live here in relative peace

So why cause a fuss, over 70 or so baht.. we all know taxi drivers throughout the world try and rip customers off !! English cabby tried to thieve me of 20 pounds extra until I said let’s call the bill !!

Whatever, he is happy, the Police are happy, I await for a more serious incident happening to him, then wew will all know just another attempt ( poor ) to cover up an arrogant ignorant Thai behaving with ZERO Thainess. 

20 hours ago, InfinityandBeyond said:

Here is a hint: find the owner of the bank acct named in the extortion email. The address is right there. 

They did.  It's mentioned in the post. 

"Police contacted the Thai named as having the bank account and he was found to have closed the account many months before."

• Haha 1

Not to investigate this matter is absurd but typical.  It just embodies the laziness and could not care less attitude to the law unless someone is paying for the privilege.  Why does anyone business here where anyone can be set up with a few baht in the right direction and have their business destroyed?  As soon as there is any success people will copy and get the guy with the idea set up. Who cares right?

1 hour ago, Megasin1 said:

I think he must do more than just YouTube work, as they don't exactly pay out a lot. Perhaps he's a teacher somewhere but quite rightly doesn't want that released.

How much youtube pays out, is up to you and how many visits you have per month. There are people making 5-7 million dollar a year only on youtube.

However, as you say, he don´t make that. Yes he is teaching english online, from his computer as a foreigner in Thailand. Not easy to get a WP for that, right?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, poanoi said:

i'm wondering what compelled danny to accept this rotten 'investigation' ?

I consider it possible, even likely, that Danny was incentivised to withdraw his complaint.

• Like 1

So ehat about attempts to trace the origin of the original email? I would think Google would be able to shed some light on that if asked nicely. Whether the account of the frrnchman was hacked or not therr would be a trail to follow.  Also Google would be very eager to show thier  Gmail platform as safe and secure? Seems to be more to this story than published here. 

Edited by outlaw11wa
Spelling

21 hours ago, InfinityandBeyond said:

Slow Down Captain Logical. You clearly do not understand how things are done here :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

2 hours ago, mihalis said:

So why cause a fuss, over 70 or so baht.. we all know taxi drivers throughout the world try and rip customers off !! English cabby tried to thieve me of 20 pounds extra until I said let’s call the bill !!

Most Black Cab Drivers in London are Scum, Long live Uber !