Importing a new Corvette?

10 minutes ago, brianj1964 said:

read your original post that i quoted, you have driven supercars in Thailand

Here's my post that you responded, "no you haven't" to...

" On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:39 PM, Just Weird said:

Did I say that I had a supercar and does it make any difference?  I've known enough people personally who have owned a few of them, Thais and foreigners, who've allowed me to drive them here if that helps.  

Remind me what your supercar is....!"

Presumably you must be saying that I haven't driven a few supercars here?  Obviously, it doesn't matter one iota what you think but I have.

52 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Did I say that I had a supercar and does it make any difference?  I've known enough people personally who have owned a few of them, Thais and foreigners, who've allowed me to drive them here if that helps.  

Presumably you must be saying that I haven't driven a few supercars here?  Obviously, it doesn't matter one iota what you think but I have.

Name them!, We need a change from Truk V Truk.

19 hours ago, Just Weird said:

What were they, what was your opinion on them.....Be interested to know...:thumbsup:

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:38 PM, HAKAPALITA said:

Name them!, We need a change from Truk V Truk.

Lamborghini Gallardo, Ferrari F430, Ferrari F430 Scuderia Spider, Maserati Shamal (supercar in it's day, maybe not now), none of them were mine!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Come on were waiting, was it a Fortuna of Honda Jazz Supercar. or cant you remember.?. ...Thats him gone till hes dreams up more bullshit.:stoner:

I don't spend my whole day here, sorry to keep you and your bull waiting but I've already answered. Don't flatter yourself by thinking that anything you post could get rid of me.

Coincidentally, I have driven both of those!  And an Evo 4 converted to a 6 with a 2.2 litre 550bhp motor that was tuned to run only on Avgas, and a couple of highly modified Imprezzas, and 2JZ GTE engined Cefiros,  and a 2JZ-ed BMW 318, and a 454 Corvette C3 and a V8 Ruf from Royale on Petchaburi Road that was their Bangkok motorshow car a few years back.  Nothing much else.

Edited by Just Weird

5 hours ago, transam said:

What were they, what was your opinion on them.....Be interested to know...:thumbsup:

I said that I'd driven a few, I didn't say that I'd had them long enough to conduct reviews of them!  Fast, loud, not particularly good for my back, a hoot to drive and no issue driving them on Bangkok's roads.  Don't recommend them for camping holidays.

On 5/2/2018 at 10:54 AM, TyGrr said:

I'm willing to spend 38 million on a Hurican if I can't get my Vette. I have the cash, what I can't find is someone with the import papers for this year. I know this is not easy but in the past it could be done with time and money. It seems something changed this year and no one got their documents sorted.

Did you try talking with Champ at Niche to see if he could manage the import for you?

The supercar dealers including Niche were all under pressure recently after a huge crackdown on tax evasion. The pressure seemed to fade away but I guess it's probably still not the easiest climate to start bringing in cars. 

You could also try Spyder or Wiz who have brought in some Camaros. I haven't seen any Corvettes for sale for a long time. AFAIK they're left hand drive only unless one has gone through conversion. 

On 5/9/2018 at 10:32 AM, Rdrokit said:

Maybe I am missing the point many are making. Yes you could drive a supercar here in Thailand on Thai roads. You can buy one as a status symbol and drive it around Bangkok at 60kph. Not for me. The reason I would buy a supercar would be to go FAST. If the car had a top speed of 350kph then I would want to drive it 350 from time to time otherwise I can't get the full potential out of the car. My handle is not Rdrokit because I go slow. The California Highway Patrol gave me that name (Red Rocket) because of my driving style...........fast. I was clocked at 255kph just outside of Baker California in this red rocket.

That's a nice Daytona! 

There are plenty of places to drive fast in Thailand. On Sundays a lot of the car clubs meet early and do a speed run down the expressway towards Chonburi. There are also group trips up to the North to the Chiang Mai area which can be very fun in a sports car. And to the South around the Phuket and Krabi area, also very nice. For a speed run there's an almost abandoned expressway that runs along the planned Kra Isthmus canal route. 

Also there are some fun racing circuits not far from Bangkok like Bira and Kaeng Krachan. Very easy and cheap to get some track time.

9 hours ago, Crash999 said:

That's a nice Daytona! 

There are plenty of places to drive fast in Thailand. On Sundays a lot of the car clubs meet early and do a speed run down the expressway towards Chonburi. There are also group trips up to the North to the Chiang Mai area which can be very fun in a sports car. And to the South around the Phuket and Krabi area, also very nice. For a speed run there's an almost abandoned expressway that runs along the planned Kra Isthmus canal route. 

Also there are some fun racing circuits not far from Bangkok like Bira and Kaeng Krachan. Very easy and cheap to get some track time.

Thanks Crash999 she sure was a chick magnet. If I lived near Bangkok I would consider a sports car. Up here in the boonies where I live I wish I had a high rider truck at times because of the flooding and poor road conditions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rdrokit said:

Thanks Crash999 she sure was a chick magnet. If I lived near Bangkok I would consider a sports car. Up here in the boonies where I live I wish I had a high rider truck at times because of the flooding and poor road conditions.

Did yours have power steering..? My chums didn't, it was a pig to drive...:sad:

16 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Why anyone would want to drive a car with steering on the wrong side is beyond me.

Drove an old mail Jeep in the US, what a nightmare.

Yeah Aus (where the OP was wanting to import from) is a RHD country.

Will Aus officially get the corvette is anyones guess as the subject is not mentioned often here and the price tag will scare many..... The Camaro thats coming here is a 40k car in the USA, in Aus it will be 90k.

1 hour ago, Techno Viking said:

Yeah Aus (where the OP was wanting to import from) is a RHD country.

Will Aus officially get the corvette is anyones guess as the subject is not mentioned often here and the price tag will scare many..... The Camaro thats coming here is a 40k car in the USA, in Aus it will be 90k.

And here in Thailand it's about 5 million baht. Crazy money.

1 hour ago, transam said:

Did yours have power steering..? My chums didn't, it was a pig to drive...:sad:

That is actually a McBurnie replica. Ferrari sued McBurnie because they were an exact replica except for the running gear. It had a Ferrari interior and gauge cluster but was on a 1978 Corvette chassis. It had a Chevy fuel injected 350 engine, a/c, power steering and power brakes. When I bought it it had a cracked front turn signal cover. had to buy a replacement from Ferrari, cost me something like 600 bucks and could only order in a pair. My good friend who had a real one preferred to drive mine. The real one was a bitch to drive especially in traffic. The 12 cylinder engine had 6 Weber carbs and you had to keep revving the engine to keep it from loading up. It didn't like to run at low revs.

Funny story about the McBrenies. The TV show Miami Vice had a black Daytona replica they used. After a couple seasons Ferrari told the producers to blow the car up and Ferrari would give them two free 1986 Testarossas. So not wanting any legal trouble they blew up the Daytona and got the Testarossas.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

That is actually a McBurnie replica. Ferrari sued McBurnie because they were an exact replica except for the running gear. It had a Ferrari interior and gauge cluster but was on a 1978 Corvette chassis. It had a Chevy fuel injected 350 engine, a/c, power steering and power brakes. When I bought it it had a cracked front turn signal cover. had to buy a replacement from Ferrari, cost me something like 600 bucks and could only order in a pair. My good friend who had a real one preferred to drive mine. The real one was a bitch to drive especially in traffic. The 12 cylinder engine had 6 Weber carbs and you had to keep revving the engine to keep it from loading up. It didn't like to run at low revs.

Funny story about the McBrenies. The TV show Miami Vice had a black Daytona replica they used. After a couple seasons Ferrari told the producers to blow the car up and Ferrari would give them two free 1986 Testarossas. So not wanting any legal trouble they blew up the Daytona and got the Testarossas.

Aaah, I remember now you told me before....:stoner:

My chum sold his a few years back...I just found the advert....Seems it was a 1972...

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ferrari/365gtb4/2097976.html

31 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Some Classic Vets and Pontiacs going through Live Stream Auctions on you tube. Dont watch if your a Car Guy.!!!.   A Pontiac T Am 7.3 restored went for 35 K U.S.$. Ive blocked it out of mind to stay cheerfull.

If that was a matching numbers car it would be a 7.5ltr...Think they only used the 455ci for about 4 years, just to boost low end torque as compression ratios of the period hit rock bottom, still didn't have a lot of HP though....:sad:

But it could be an earlier high compression (7.1) 60th bored 428ci (7.3) engine with plenty of get up and go....:stoner:

5 minutes ago, transam said:

If that was a matching numbers car it would be a 7.5ltr...Think they only used the 455ci for about 4 years, just to boost low end torque as compression ratios of the period hit rock bottom, still didn't have a lot of HP though....:sad:

But it could be an earlier high compression (7.1) 60th bored 428ci (7.3) engine with plenty of get up and go....:stoner:

I cant find the You Tube Vid, but no doubt your correct.You would no doubt enjoy Mecum Collector Car Auctions Indy 2018. ,and see why i cant find it.!,toooo many.:stoner:

2 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

I cant find the You Tube Vid, but no doubt your correct.You would no doubt enjoy Mecum Collector Car Auctions Indy 2018. ,and see why i cant find it.!,toooo many.:stoner:

Yeh, I read stuff every day....Not glued here all the time, though folk accuse me of it....  :laugh:

5 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

How long ago did you sell it? They're worth big money these days. It's such a cool timeless design. 

Edit - Just saw it's a replica. Was very well done! 

One of the major real estate developers in Thailand has a Daytona, I think maybe the only one in the country. 

I wouldn't own a sports car outside of maybe Chiang Mai and Bangkok as upcountry it can attract the wrong kind of attention. 

Edited by Crash999

18 minutes ago, Crash999 said:

How long ago did you sell it? They're worth big money these days. It's such a cool timeless design. 

Edit - Just saw it's a replica. Was very well done! 

One of the major real estate developers in Thailand has a Daytona, I think maybe the only one in the country. 

I wouldn't own a sports car outside of maybe Chiang Mai and Bangkok as upcountry it can attract the wrong kind of attention. 

Sold it and my other 5 cars before I moved to Thailand 12 years ago. Wish I could have brought a couple but I'm sure you know the import nightmare here.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 5/2/2018 at 10:51 AM, Henryford said:

Read the many posts on this topic. It seems importing a car is impossible unless you have money to burn.

be nice if we can buy a corvette in thailand i love corvette but that to much money and problem...

4 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Dealer on New Petcheburi

You buy one I’ll drive the old car home for you...

in america i own many corvette,old and new my last one was a zr1 after that i move in thailand and i drive a honda! c'est la vie...

• Sad 1