Importing a new Corvette?

5 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Yes, I live here and have been driving here for 24 years in Bangkok, Khon Kaen, Pattaya and Hua Hin, that's why I know what I'm talking about as opposed to those making unfounded assertions that supercars can hardly be driven here because of "ground clearance of a couple of inches" and "low profile tyres being blown out all the time" as Rdrokit put it. 

These cars do not have such miniscule ground clearance, they are manufactured to be used on normal roads, that's how they manage to sell them and low profile tyres which are used by thousands of drivers on normal cars, not only supercars,  are not particularly prone to blowing out any more than 40/45/50/55/60 etc series profile tyres are. 

And your super car is.....?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, transam said:

And your super car is.....?

Did I say that I had a supercar and does it make any difference?  I've known enough people personally who have owned a few of them, Thais and foreigners, who've allowed me to drive them here if that helps.  

Remind me what your supercar is....!

Given there are late model Mustangs and Camaroes driving around in Bangkok. In theory it must be possible. http://siammotorworld.com/ might be a start.

There are many hi end non-dealer car places in Bangkok.  Just a day driving around Petburi, Srinakarin etc. would yield a few. 

Or paste this into Google ตัวแทนจำหน่ายรถยนต์นำเข้า 

Edited by VocalNeal

3 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Who in Australia is doing the RHD conversions ?

I ask as they are not currently available here from GM.

HSV do the "official" conversions on Camaro & Silverado.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Yes, I live here and have been driving here for 24 years in Bangkok, Khon Kaen, Pattaya and Hua Hin, that's why I know what I'm talking about as opposed to those making unfounded assertions that supercars can hardly be driven here because of "ground clearance of a couple of inches" and "low profile tyres being blown out all the time" as Rdrokit put it. 

These cars do not have such miniscule ground clearance, they are manufactured to be used on normal roads, that's how they manage to sell them and low profile tyres which are used by thousands of drivers on normal cars, not only supercars,  are not particularly prone to blowing out any more than 40/45/50/55/60 etc series profile tyres are. 

"Low-profile tires have a much shorter sidewall and there is less cushion to absorb impact from potholes or curbs. This can lead to structural damage to the sidewall of your low-profile tire. It may exhibit as a bulge or bubble in the sidewall or the tire can actually suffer immediate and total air loss or puncture when driving. ...."

From an article. There are many articles out there on the hazards of low profile tires.

Don't know where you drover your friends supercars and what tires they were running but all the exotics sports cars I have seen are running 35 -25 profile tires. I have had a side wall blow out on my 235x40x18s on my Mazda going over a pothole at 140kph. No fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

On most Highways in Thailand are ruts so deep that you might get stuck there with a supercar (or rip off the fairing), on Highway 1 and 2 100%, on most other Highways you can also find them. There is a reason that you nearly never see these cars outside of the city.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, transam said:

I would not own a super car in LOS....

So you have driven many super cars all over LOS to give the opinion the roads are OK...

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...:coffee1:

I didn't say that I had driven many supercars "all over LOS", you said that. I have driven a few here but even without driving a supercar it's possible to know that Thailand's roads, in general, are fine.

3 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

"Low-profile tires have a much shorter sidewall and there is less cushion to absorb impact from potholes or curbs. This can lead to structural damage to the sidewall of your low-profile tire. It may exhibit as a bulge or bubble in the sidewall or the tire can actually suffer immediate and total air loss or puncture when driving. ...."

From an article. There are many articles out there on the hazards of low profile tires.

Don't know where you drover your friends supercars and what tires they were running but all the exotics sports cars I have seen are running 35 -25 profile tires. I have had a side wall blow out on my 235x40x18s on my Mazda going over a pothole at 140kph. No fun.

Yes, we all know that and we all know that exactly the same thing can happen to higher profile tyres.  We also all know that doesn't mean that they all blow out! 

And that must be why there is no market for multi-million baht supercars in Thailand!  I don't think.

I drove them in Bangkok and the surrounding areas up to Pathumthani. 

Why do you think that just because your car had a blow out every supercar is going to drive into potholes and are impractical vehicles just because they have low profiles?

• Like 1

I’ve been driving here 17 years, north, south, east & west and I think the roads are fine.

If someone has a supercar that needs to be driven around, I will happily pay for any tire I blow...I’d probably just drive around Bangkok getting great parking spots everywhere...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Yes, we all know that and we all know that exactly the same thing can happen to higher profile tyres.  We also all know that doesn't mean that they all blow out! 

And that must be why there is no market for multi-million baht supercars in Thailand!  I don't think.

I drove them in Bangkok and the surrounding areas up to Pathumthani. 

Why do you think that just because your car had a blow out every supercar is going to drive into potholes and are impractical vehicles just because they have low profiles?

Don't misquote me. I did not say "they all blow out" or "Why do you think that just because your car had a blow out every supercar is going to drive into potholes and are impractical vehicles just because they have low profiles?" 

Not everyone is going to drive into pot holes and because I had a blow out does not make supercars impractical.

It's just with low profile tires you have a better chance of damaging your tires or even rims whether they are on a supercar for a tuner car. Of course a supercar would OK around Bangkok as they have good roads there. I'm saying up here is the sticks the car would get beat to hell.                                 

Edited by Rdrokit
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Woodsie888 said:

HSV do the "official" conversions on Camaro & Silverado.

Yes I know but we are talking Corvette here. and I did not think Aus was getting a RHD vette until 2020 so fail to see how will get one earlier.

4 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

Yes I know but we are talking Corvette here. and I did not think Aus was getting a RHD vette until 2020 so fail to see how will get one earlier.

I think that's pretty obvious by my reply.

HSV have no plans to do RHD Corvette.

It's taken them much longer than anticipated to get the Camaro & Silverado (3Models) programme off the ground, all of which will have much greater volumes than Corvette might.

If you want a new car your only choice probably, is to by a Corvette and have one of the half dozen or so conversion outfits in Australia do it for you. Good luck with that!

Then of course you can collaborate with a Thai Grey Market importer to bring it in for you. Good luck with that! 

11 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I didn't say that I had driven many supercars "all over LOS", you said that. I have driven a few here but even without driving a supercar it's possible to know that Thailand's roads, in general, are fine.

You missed my point, you cannot use a super car all over LOS because in places there are many bad roads, I know because I have found them.

I had a poor mans super car and I can tell you I could/would not use it in LOS....

12622242_945449105540536_5527180033400604688_o.jpg.2df40f5143f654a29d2dc8066ee658df.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You missed my point, you cannot use a super car all over LOS because in places there are many bad roads, I know because I have found them.

I had a poor mans super car and I can tell you I could/would not use it in LOS....

12622242_945449105540536_5527180033400604688_o.jpg.2df40f5143f654a29d2dc8066ee658df.jpg

I think it safe to assume if one has the stew for a supercar, in addition to having money for a tire now and then, one would also have something else to drive for harvesting their palm-oil...

I had a girlfriend in the early ‘80s that had a blue ‘78 big-block 4-sp TA. That was a nice unit.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mogandave said:

I think it safe to assume if one has the stew for a supercar, in addition to having money for a tire now and then, one would also have something else to drive for harvesting their palm-oil...

I had a girlfriend in the early ‘80s that had a blue ‘78 big-block 4-sp TA. That was a nice unit.

It's about ground clearance, hit one of the many pot holes and for sure something will bottom out. 

Maybe I am missing the point many are making. Yes you could drive a supercar here in Thailand on Thai roads. You can buy one as a status symbol and drive it around Bangkok at 60kph. Not for me. The reason I would buy a supercar would be to go FAST. If the car had a top speed of 350kph then I would want to drive it 350 from time to time otherwise I can't get the full potential out of the car. My handle is not Rdrokit because I go slow. The California Highway Patrol gave me that name (Red Rocket) because of my driving style...........fast. I was clocked at 255kph just outside of Baker California in this red rocket.

Dayton Front-Side.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:17 AM, transam said:

"I had a poor mans super car.."

Really, have you got a picture of it?   A Trans Am certainly isn't a supercar, not even a poor man's.

"...I could/would not use it in LOS....".

Apart from your not having a Trans Am here in Thailand, what was it in particular in relation to road conditions that meant that your old Pontiac "could not have been used" on Thai roads? 

1 hour ago, transam said:

It's about ground clearance, hit one of the many pot holes and for sure something will bottom out. 

That's the case for any car hitting a pothole, it's not something that applies only to supercars.

38 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

Maybe I am missing the point many are making. Yes you could drive a supercar here in Thailand on Thai roads. You can buy one as a status symbol and drive it around Bangkok at 60kph. Not for me. The reason I would buy a supercar would be to go FAST. If the car had a top speed of 350kph then I would want to drive it 350 from time to time otherwise I can't get the full potential out of the car. My handle is not Rdrokit because I go slow. The California Highway Patrol gave me that name (Red Rocket) because of my driving style...........fast. I was clocked at 255kph just outside of Baker California in this red rocket.

Dayton Front-Side.JPG

Well, weren't you just the big hero in your Daytona replica.

"I was clocked at 255kph just outside of Baker California..."

Really?  How come they didn't "clock you" in mph, you know, the way speed is measured in the US?  Not embellishing your little tale are you?

You know that rocket is a lettuce leaf, perhaps your adoring CHiPs fanboys were taking the mickey?

Edited by Just Weird
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"I had a poor mans super car.."

Really, have you got a picture of it?   A Trans Am certainly isn't a supercar, not even a poor man's.

"...I could/would not use it in LOS....".

Apart from your not having a Trans Am here in Thailand, what was it in particular in relation to road conditions that meant that your old Pontiac "could not have been used" on Thai roads? 

Ground clearance....:smile:

Poor mans super car, well trouncing a Ferrari and Lambo of the day on the strip did bring a smile regarding my dinosaur...:stoner:

Edited by transam
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Many, Many years ago i had a mate who lived in UK, sold a Lotus Europa and bought a Camaro. It was completely stock the first time he took it to a show and shine. Guys would come over and offer to exchange on the spot his stock parts for their aftermarket so they could "restore" theirs to stock. He changed the wheels and tires and a hood (for one with a scoop) and a bunch of other stuff. It ended up looking not unlike the one pictures.

Edited by VocalNeal

18 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Well, aren't you just the big hero.

"I was clocked at 255kph just outside of Baker California..."

Really?  How come they didn't "clock you" in mph, you know, the way speed is measured in the US?  Not embellishing your little tale are you?

You know that rocket is a lettuce leaf, perhaps your adoring CHiPs fanboys were taking the mickey?

Most of the guys on here relate to kph rather than mph. It was 158mph.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, transam said:

Ground clearance....:smile:

Poor mans super car, well trouncing a Ferrari and Lambo of the day on the strip did bring a smile regarding my dinosaur...:stoner:

"Ground clearance..."

Why?  The ground clearance of that TA in the photo was better than supercars that are daily driven here.