Video: Driving blind!? Yet again Thai motorcyclist fails to see the level crossing barrier

webfact

33 minutes ago, midas said:

I speculate many times that they are not reading road conditions ahead and this kind of proves it:giggle:

I mean slowing down at a railway crossing should be second nature:blink:

Yesterday a tourist bus passed me as I was slowing down because I could see a line of Chinese tourists ahead following the flag just starting to walk over a pedestrian crossing but the bus driver  didn't slow down one iota until he was virtually on top of them and then braked aggressively. What are they doing?
They really should have their mind on the job much more.

"They really should have their mind on the job much more. "

What mind?       555

As much as I get pissed off at the danger drivers such as this young woman cause for all others, I can't help but feel something for the pain she must have suffered from the burns she surely got.

Softy I guess.

• Like 2

"spacial awareness". Agreed. Once again the decrepit Thai education system rears its ugly head. Compare and contrast: Thai students and for example Australian students. From an early age the latter are strongly encouraged to participate in physical activities, both in the school playground and at home. By the time they leave primary school their hand/eye cordination, spacial awareness, strength and flexibility assets have been finely honed. They have taken part in many team sports where winning is the ultimate goal but losing is an experience which can grow their character. In Thailand there is no such emphasis on these physical attributes and hence we see this in the everyday manifestations on the roads. Many of these people cannot ride or drive a motorised vehicle. They are simply too fast for their limited physical abilities. 

59 minutes ago, CGW said:

"Spatial awareness" does not translate into Thai, most of us stay aware of our surroundings, if we see something that could pose a danger we become more aware!

Nor here, they live in a dreamworld where they believe they are indestructible! Someone remarked recently that they are a "primitive" people, they really are, they haven't the sense to realise just how easily they can get hurt!

my thai american friends and thai that did university overseas comment on this also.  it is not uncommon for people to walk into you, walk into your path or cut you off and they seem not aware of much of anything

thai term is "sabai sabai walking" lack of awareness, lack of focus. their education system is mainly rote learning without debate or question to teachers. it does not teach the mind how to think.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

get a life, just weird, there is nothing more nonsense than someone running straight into a railway barrier on a clear dry day...its farcical.

It is not like railway lines and their barriers just pop up out of the ground and ambush you as you are going about your business

if i may correct you

not farcical, normal

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of the messages that our Beloved Late King tried to teach his people was in quite a few of his speeches

"self preservation" Obviously the Thai people have forgotten or not listened.

This lady was very lucky that her neck is still attached to her head

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, keith101 said:

Typically on her mobile and not looking at where she is going lucky not to be seriously hurt without wearing a helmet

Did not Shakespeare say in one of his plays"Vanity,Vanity thou art woman."? Here in LOS it would be "Stupid,Stupid,Thou art Motorcycle Rider".

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, CGW said:

"Spatial awareness" does not translate into Thai, most of us stay aware of our surroundings, if we see something that could pose a danger we become more aware!

Nor here, they live in a dreamworld where they believe they are indestructible! Someone remarked recently that they are a "primitive" people, they really are, they haven't the sense to realise just how easily they can get hurt!

So a person having a traffic accident equates to all thais having a total lack of spatial awareness????

Ok

On a friday and saturday night british town centres are replete with brits under the influence of alcohol...ipso facto ( in your world of logic ) all brits are alcoholics.

Edited by Expatthailover
  • Sad 1

yep, then it disappears which would suggest it bounces out of the frame and reappears to her right on the floor, her handbag - not her shoulder bag which ends up angled up to her right also chucks out something, possibly a purse, however the phone doesn't track back to her handbag whereas the purse does

4 minutes ago, Norrad said:

To be fair I did say my comment tongue in cheek :-) But looking again I am pretty convinced she has a phone in her hand now.

Untitled-1.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

The video ends too early.

After she gets on her feet, does she grab for her smartphone that flew away?

Was her LINE chat interrupted by this bloody barrier? :sleep:

Hopefully she was Not on facetime with a New potencial bf trying to convince him she always drive in a Safe manner....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

Very true.

come on....surely not..........aren't they genetically protected from the blonde gene?

whatever happened to "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger" ?

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Train barrier? Appears to be a piece of rope, string who knows what strung acros the road. Does look like there are boom gates but they're not deployed.

There were two (2) steel cables lowered across the road, either side of the track each with flashing lights and red and white square plastic tags attached. She was traveling fast enough to hit the first one with a glancing blow, the second one nailed her and off she came.The lights and bells on the roadside posts would also indicate an approaching train. thus the lady will need to make big merit at the Wat and send a letter to SRT thanking them for not lowering the barrier any further which would likely have decapitated her.

I hope she makes a quick recovery and bet she's learned her lesson. She wasn't paying proper attention to the road ahead of her.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

come on....surely not..........aren't they genetically protected from the blonde gene?

whatever happened to "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger" ?

:smile:

With the addition of a lucky amulet blessed by the local abbot-that period will be reduced to about seven days...

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

There were two (2) steel cables lowered across the road, either side of the track each with flashing lights and red and white square plastic tags attached. She was traveling fast enough to hit the first one with a glancing blow, the second one nailed her and off she came.The lights and bells on the roadside posts would also indicate an approaching train. thus the lady will need to make big merit at the Wat and send a letter to SRT thanking them for not lowering the barrier any further which would likely have decapitated her.

I hope she makes a quick recovery and bet she's learned her lesson. She wasn't paying proper attention to the road ahead of her.

wow, they drop steel cables across the road? OMG they will certainly decapitate you, she is extremely lucky

5 minutes ago, phil2407 said:

Don’t they have barriers on both sides of the road with the train track or am I missing something in the video? 

Both sides of the track. Look carefully and you will notice them. Not easy with the quality of the video though. She impacts one which sways wildly, while the other one stays still.

Edited by Norrad
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, phil2407 said:

Don’t they have barriers on both sides of the road with the train track or am I missing something in the video? 

Seems not, seems to be a bit of bunting on a cable with a few flashing lights, someones left over Christmas tree decorations !!!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Norrad said:

Both sides of the track. Look carefully and you will notice them. Not easy with the quality of the video though.

Look at least, even if not too carefully is the takeaway from this thread

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CGW said:

O kind of like black people huh, cannot throw a baseball or be the quarter back

• Sad 1