63 foreigners arrested in nationwide crackdown

webfact

3 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Myanmarese? Is that what Burmese people are called now? Never heard them called that before.

You're correct.

It is Burmese, or Myanmar

Myanmarese is just some gobbledynonsense

• Like 1

whats next tailor shops, ornament shops on sidewalks,people selling baskets of nuts, its endless, i doubt they have the manpower to do anything more than panic the majority who wont be touched

3 hours ago, webfact said:

He said police searched about 125 locations, including seven international schools, 15 language schools and 56 ordinary schools.

Without trying to take away any of Big Joke's glory, it would be interesting to see how many of the 78 educational establishments the 63 criminals were arrested in.

Or were they arrested in the other 47 places raided and they just thought they would include the schools/language schools to make up the word count of the article?

As others have stated, the normal schools are still off, granted they may be running summer camps.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, humbug said:

whats next tailor shops, ornament shops on sidewalks,people selling baskets of nuts, its endless, i doubt they have the manpower to do anything more than panic the majority who wont be touched

You'd be surprised how many of those Indian tailors and nut crunchers have been here for generations. Even old Lek Nana, a highly respected Thai Muslim politician of Gujarati ancestry,  who owned much of the Sukumvit area around Soi 3/4 was one of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Myanmarese? Is that what Burmese people are called now? Never heard them called that before.

The country is called Myanmar, the only country to not recognize the new name in the UK, who still call it Burma . You will see that on the UK government sites. So I assume that’s why they are called that . Unless you are a Brit lol 

We keep seeing news round ups of illegals, and again we see majority  are illegalentries into the kingdom.Then why are they not targeting the immigration officers who clearly are in on this ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Myanmaris?

Myanmaranians?

Myanmarers?

Myanmars?

5555, I guess Rooster, the translator (Scrabble champion) from Thaivisa had a hard night !!!,..we will read about it Sunday...in "The Week That Was"

3 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Myanmaris?

Myanmaranians?

Myanmarers?

Myanmars?

Probably it is Myanmarsians ... For me it' still Burmese, I was in Burma in 1966 and 1967 when tourists could get not more than 24 hour visa.

According to Wikipedia the correct term is Myanmarese.

However:

Most Westerners are surprised to learn that in fact, Burma has pretty much always used both names. The Burmese language (like many Asian tongues) has various registers that are used in different situations, mainly to make a distinction between formal and informal situations. The names Myanma and Bama are thus both correct in Burmese – but they are used for different purposes: the former in written language; the latter in spoken. Both have been used concurrently for centuries, and are derived from the name of the largest ethnic group in Burma, the Bamar. (‘Burma’ and ‘Myanmar’ may not sound like they have the same root, but the transformation of m-sounds into b-sounds in colloquial Burmese is actually pretty common.)

Source: https://www.insideasiatours.com/insideburma/blog/2016/09/08/burma-or-myanmar/

What is more important - catching the overstayers or criticizing the press release or wording?  My vote goes to catch all the overstayers in Thailand and deport them and the rest is irrelevant.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

What is more important - catching the overstayers or criticizing the press release or wording?  My vote goes to catch all the overstayers in Thailand and deport them and the rest is irrelevant.  

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He said police searched about 125 locations, including seven international schools, 15 language schools and 56 ordinary schools.

Okay, how many were found at these places of learning and, if the other locations are businesses, what will happen to all those who employed these illegals?

2 hours ago, generealty said:

We keep seeing news round ups of illegals, and again we see majority  are illegalentries into the kingdom.Then why are they not targeting the immigration officers who clearly are in on this ?

Yes , agree , he should go to Mae Sai and have all the minibuses coming over from Myanmar/Burma ( I am a Brit. ) stopped and all the occupants visas looked at , grab the English teachers before they reach the school gates.

Oh as a rider to this 25k south of Mae Sai where I live there is a nice lady teacher from France who teaches English , hope she is legit.

2 hours ago, generealty said:

The I.O. are not "clearly in on this" . 

Illegal entry means that they entered illegally , crossing the border without any documents